Shower of flowers for police after mass arrests of Phuket taxi mafia

webfact

Suthicha Sirirat

1402238149_1-org.jpg
Gen Panya receives one of many bouquets in gratitude over the crackdown on taxi mafia.

Phuket: -- Honorary consuls and tourism business owners this afternoon deluged the Commissioner of Police Region 8, Lt Gen Panya Mamen with flowers, in thanks for the action taken by him and his men against illegal taxis over the past few days.

The flood of flowers came as Gen Panya prepared for a press conference to give an update on progress so far.

He told the press that so far:

96 people of 108 who are subject to arrest warrants are in custody.
79 taxi stands built on public land have been demolished in the areas of responsibility of Kathu, Chalong, Tah Chat Chai, Cherng Talay, Kamala and Vichit police stations.
Investigations continue to identify stands that should be demolished in areas overseen by Thalang and Phuket City police stations.
Just one area was found to be “clean”: the area looked after by Tung Tong police station contained no illegal taxi stands.
Gen Panya said that the Region 8 task force had received good cooperation from local authorities, and the witness protection scheme was working well, with no witnesses threatened.

He added that all the cases are expected to be handed over to the Public Prosecutor by next Sunday (June 15).

He also gave an update of action against leaders of mobs who have blocked roads in recent months.

One person has been arrested for leading the mob that jammed the streets of Patong on March 4, he said. Police are waiting for an arrest warrant to be issued for one more person, and are gathering evidence they expect will lead to warrants for ar least another three.

Three people have been arrested for the worst blockade, on April 8 when villagers in Mai Khao blockaded Thepkrasattri Rd, the island’s north-south artery, resulting in 10-kilometre traffic jams in both directions.

Police are waiting for seven more warrants and expect to apply for a further six, for a total of 16 people to be arrested as leaders of the blockade.

Finally, three people have already surrendered over the one-hour blockade of Chao Fa West Rd on April 27. Police expect to apply for two more warrants.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/shower-of-flowers-for-police-after-mass-arrests-of-phuket-taxi-mafia-46735.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-06-09

i find this pathetic...the situation should never have been allowed in the first place...corrupt incompetent police getting praise for something they should have stopped 30 years ago..like many many other illegal activity’s in phukets open sewer resort s of total corruptionbah.gifbah.gif

One of the reasons i have no interest to vacate there

it gives me ''HOPE''.......,thailand is a jewel,rid thailand of this element and tourists will return,send a message ''scammers,bullies and illegals, will not be tolerated'',and we WILL prosecute....bravo....

• Like 2

The praise they get from the public certainly encourages them to keep up the good work. It has to start somewhere and this is a good moment. I really hope the doomsayers will be proven wrong, but hoping is all I can do. Viva la Revolution!

I may be cynical, but....

I think some would have preferred cash.

How many are waiting for the return to the good old bad old days.

Hope it's a very long wait.

• Like 1

Interesting to see in the photo (rear RHS) the ex Honorary Australian Consul for Phuket, Phang Na and Krabi, Larry Cunningham, with a big smile on his face.

Larry resigned his post after many years serving expats on Phuket and neighbouring Provinces after openly being threatened by Interior Ministry officials after complaining about police and bureaucrats inaction on the tt & taxi mafia. They then blockaded his hotel and serious threats were made against him.

I hope you keep smiling Larry.

• Like 2

Well, your post is certainty cynical.

BTW, have you read the latest research that's been getting a lot of press. People that are chronically cynical have a much shorter life span than those that are more optimistic? But don't believe it ... the researchers are a bunch of liars that were paid off to fake the results of their study.

Well, your post is certainty cynical.

BTW, have you read the latest research that's been getting a lot of press. People that are chronically cynical have a much shorter life span than those that are more optimistic? But don't believe it ... the researchers are a bunch of liars that were paid off to fake the results of their study.

Luckily I am not chronically cynical. It's usually police centric.

So.....what has happened so far that has actually benefited tourists?

The tuk-tuks are still parked everywhere. They are still charging extortionate prices, as are all taxis, including at the airport. and the meter taxis still not using meters.

As far as I can see, the powers that be have inconvenienced the drivers by taking a bit of shade away by knocking down a few salas.

Yet, the public are acting like this is the second coming. I predict that there will be a lot of disappointed people in the not too distant future and Thai officialdom will be proved again to have no spine.

I really hope I'm wrong, but, don't think I will be.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It will be interesting to look back at this post in a year's time to see if there has been any real change

What happend with Patong Major ,erlier one ,and son, and the taxi and tuk tuk mafia,, any news on that ?

Definitely a feel good factor happening on this island right now.

Expats and local Thais I've spoken to are all delighted with these developments.

For those who would never come here for a holiday or to live, OK we get it!! Why do you have this desperate need to keep telling us on this forum?

I've lived here for over 12 years, still love the place and looking forward to the changes that are coming at last.

clap2.gifbiggrin.png

Patong Phuket lived 5 year, or mostly all vinter.. is very good, nice beaches ,many different beaches , Huge shopping center, good night life when, and if you want that ,,is all in one place and close, thats why Patong is best i seen so far . All my guest , coming back year by year and are happy .. Taxi og tuk tuck idiots we dont use,, so they are not a problem.. Pattaya is for party party and cheap charlies , no nice beaches and so so..

i find this pathetic...the situation should never have been allowed in the first place...corrupt incompetent police getting praise for something they should have stopped 30 years ago..like many many other illegal activity’s in phukets open sewer resort s of total corruptionbah.gifbah.gif

One of the reasons i have no interest to vacate there

+1

Phuket is one of the few places that I have not been to in Thailand and I have no desire to ever do so.

And yet, you and many others come on to this forum simply to rubbish the place. You bored? huh.png

• Like 2