Koh Samui or Phuket?

rwing93

I'm sure this question has come up in the past. Coming to Thailand next year for a long term visit. Not sure if I want to stay in Koh Samui or Phuket. My biggest concern is the price on rentals. Is there a big difference in rental prices between the two locations or are they about the same? Can I live in either location for about the same price each month or will one be more exspensive than the other. All help would be greatly appreciated.

Samui is hopelessly expensive, Phuket not much better. Both tourist traps full of annoying russian and aussie tourists.

Id go elsewhere if i was you

Ouch! Lumping in Russians with Aussies, that's a new one, smile.png

That aside, yep tourist traps and overpriced. Some folks like that sort of thing I guess.

Edited by roamer
  • Like 2

Strewth...Aussies would be annoyed to read Tullynagardy's view.

Probably.....but then again, maybe some of them shouldn't go around calling people names and denigrating them, then offering in defense "oh, you just don't understand the Aussie sense of humor, mate!"

RE this thread; skip both of those over-crowded, traffic-filled cesspools and go to Phangan.

Strewth...Aussies would be annoyed to read Tullynagardy's view.

Probably.....but then again, maybe some of them shouldn't go around calling people names and denigrating them, then offering in defense "oh, you just don't understand the Aussie sense of humor, mate!"

RE this thread; skip both of those over-crowded, traffic-filled cesspools and go to Phangan.

Go to Phangan for what exactly. I've lived on both and Samui is a far superior place to live for a Westerner.

Unless of course you're a bit of a loner and don't mind being bored out of your skull , then Phangan's for you.

• Like 1

»Is there a big difference in rental prices between the two locations or are they about the same? Can I live in either location for about the same price each month or will one be more exspensive than the other. All help would be greatly appreciated.«

You can probably find bungalows and like for rent in same price levels both places; however the variety of cheaper accommodation may be slightly larger at Phuket. Daily needs about same price when shopping in chain stores like Tesco, BigC, 7-eleven and Family Mart. Gasoline a bit more expensive at Samui (due to ferry transport).

• Like 1

Samui is hopelessly expensive, Phuket not much better. Both tourist traps full of annoying russian and aussie tourists.

Ouch! Lumping in Russians with Aussies, that's a new one, smile.png

That aside, yep tourist traps and overpriced. Some folks like that sort of thing I guess.

It wasnt meant to link them in some way, just they are the 2 groups that seem most visible to me when there. Again that is not because they are necessarily most numerous simply they stand out the most.

I love Aussies and Australia but I must say alot of the ones Ive come across in both these places tend to be what in the UK we call "chavs." Russians Ive also no particular problem with I just find they keep themselves to themselves and can be rude. Anyway thats been discussed to death on here.

My point was I simply why anyone would want to live in either place. In Chaweng the starting fair for a taxi is 300 baht! With my pregnant wife struggling to walk the last 500 metres to our hotel I tried to get one last year and no one would start their engine for under 300 baht for a 30 second journey. back in their home villages these guys would get that for a days labour! That doesnt even account for overpriced flights and commodities. God I hate the place laugh.png

Phuket is mildly better, especially outside Patong but its still expensive for Thailand and just too touristy for my tastes. That said as Roamer highlighted theres plenty of people to whom money is no object and who also like the touristy feel - if thats the case of the 2 go for Phuket.

• Like 1

wow I'm an Auzzie hmmm didn't know we are so disliked ,,,,,,,, ok enough of that

Yes I agree with nanapong, I have lived in both Samui & Phuket and Phuket is just hmmm for many reasons

Want to feel your on an island, holiday, easy going, not too many people and I think less of those annoying Auzzie's

Cost wise Samui a bit cheaper but way, way over priced compered to the rest of Thailand

If you know where to look in Samui you can get very good cheap accommodation

I didn't think 'chavs' were really into the travelling scene, apart from Ibiza and Magaluf etc

I think the term you're looking for is 'twatpackers', and these can come from many various locations... UK & AUS probably topping the list, I reckon. You know the ones with way too many cheap bracelets, Aladdin pants & dirty hair. They take a year out before they've even done anything in life to 'find themselves'... Sometimes they 'find themselves' locked up after being caught with pot on a full moon party, with no bail as they planned to live off 2 quid a day. Whereas the ones in Pattaya 'find themselves' hanging out the back of a LB. What was the post about, again?

Samui is awesome. Better then Phuket in every way in my opinion. Better beaches, less crowded, less developed... But developed enough to live a comfortable life and have some entertainment. Can't wait to get back there!

Yeah the expensive flight is a bitch and you need to rent a motorbike to avoid the taxi mafia but besides that it's just about perfect.

• Like 2

I thought those scruffy backpackers in Alladin pants were Seppos...i.e. American.

Maybe they are American and European, cos I'm sure they don't come from the land down under.

Is that sarcasm, mate? I know it's harsh to generalise and stereotype, but I'm pretty sure that Aussie's are known around the globe for their 'surfer types' with dirty hair and boardies & flip-flops etc which would throw them directly into that bracket.

I would prefer Koh Chang as it is definitely more remote, but you would still need a ped to roam around the island. Phuket/Samui/Krabi just seem to mainly cater for students, in my opinion. Last time I went out in Krabi it was just full of said people with headbands and glow sticks.

Depending on what months you plan to be in Thailand you might want to think about rainy season weather. Phuket has a long rainy season (March to October, not heavy for the entire time) and Samui a shorter rainy season (October to early January). Some years not quite those months, but that is the historical pattern. Both are pretty developed and expensive for Thailand, but lots to do and easy to find Western comforts compared to some of the sleepy but cheaper places.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Phuket beaches have no shade.

Yes they do......they are all covered in umbrellas and deckchairs......and all the other shit that Eurotrash and Russians love.

Your definition of hopelessly expensive and mine appear to be at odds.

A two bedroomed, detached bungalow, two aircon, large lounge, laundry room, buig Western style kitchen along with a huge walled in garden also with its own well and 10 MB internet at 5000 a month ? wub.png It was also a few minutes from Lippa Noi beach and 5 minutes from Nathon centre Just what do you call cheap if that is expensive ?

wow you bad man comparing aus with rus..

With my pregnant wife struggling to walk the last 500 metres to our hotel I tried to get one last year and no one would start their engine for under 300 baht for a 30 second journey. back in their home villages these guys would get that for a days labour! That doesnt even account for overpriced flights and commodities. God I hate the place laugh.png

Phuket is mildly better, especially outside Patong but its still expensive for Thailand and just too touristy for my tastes. That said as Roamer highlighted theres plenty of people to whom money is no object and who also like the touristy feel - if thats the case of the 2 go for Phuket.

Is your pregnant wife thia out of intreast..?

Spent 6 months in both places a 13 years ago. Not a Ruskie to be found back then...

Love Samui for the island life feel, hated Phuket for taxi mafia and general feel.

Now both area are pretty built up. Think my third choice would be Koh Chang.

Your definition of hopelessly expensive and mine appear to be at odds.

A two bedroomed, detached bungalow, two aircon, large lounge, laundry room, buig Western style kitchen along with a huge walled in garden also with its own well and 10 MB internet at 5000 a month ? wub.png It was also a few minutes from Lippa Noi beach and 5 minutes from Nathon centre Just what do you call cheap if that is expensive ?

When did I say I was talking about long term rentals huh.png.pagespeed.ce.6VcCaNwNXg.png Do you think the 300 baht starting fare for a taxi in Chaweng is not expensive? What do you call expensive if that is cheap?

Add in the obscene flight prices and expensive restaurants and i still contend its the most expensive island in Thailand.

'