Website Blocking Gone Crazy

Thaiblue

They have blocked torrentspy also. See my post in the internet/pc forum

you don't have to use proxy, it's wrong aproach to the problem. Even worse - most of "free" proxies are just information harvesters -> kind of loggers

the wright way is to use DNS servers, different from those provided by ISP. lets say one in Japan, second - in Germany, third - in Taiwan. Enough to be redirected to the right sites, and kiss local restrictions goodbye.

They have blocked torrentspy also. See my post in the internet/pc forum

you don't have to use proxy, it's wrong aproach to the problem. Even worse - most of "free" proxies are just information harvesters -> kind of loggers

the wright way is to use DNS servers, different from those provided by ISP. lets say one in Japan, second - in Germany, third - in Taiwan. Enough to be redirected to the right sites, and kiss local restrictions goodbye.

Yes that is the way forward, surfing the Net with their restrictions is extremely frustrating to say the least! Still as one poster put it earlier, their is still a trifle more freedom here than there is in UK at the moment. As that is virtually a police state!

• 3 months later...
What really bothers me about all this is that an enormous step in restricting the public's access to information has been taken without any legal basis at all. This blocking is not being done following an act of parliament. It's being done because some moron of a local politician appointed to office decided he was going to do it and nobody (as is typical in Thailand) stopped him.

Who decides what will be blocked? Is there any limitation on the descretion of the people doing the deciding? And, once it's decided, how can someone appeal mistakes and misjudgments?

Of course, no Thai would bother to comment on any of this, nor would the Thai press mention any of it because on the whole it effects them very little. Who do you think reads the English-language web sites that are being blocked? The bulk of the Thai population? Give me a break.

Most Thais just don't care even if occasionally they do look at a site and find it blocked. It's primarily foreigners who think that people should have free access to information. Thais know better. They know that the simple folk, which naturally includes foreigners, need to be controlled. What's really scary is that they are happy to have some uneducated local politician from Nokorn Nowhere doing the controlling.

This and his next two contributions are what earned him a well deserved rest from TV.

well according to one of my teacher friends, the teacher friendly website called Bogglesworld was blocked today but as I have just accessed it I suspect it is more their school that is blocking it... but why block a teaching resource tool used by foreign teachers for material to teach English to the Thai kids? Doesn't make sense to me :o

On another note about blocking, did anyone see the debate on the BBC yesterday about controlling the internet... sooner of later boys and girls George Orwell Bush and Darth blair will have their way on what information they will allow you to see...

In the mean time the knowing eye sees all...

"Privacy, he said, was a very valuable thing. Everyone wanted a place where they could be alone occasionally. And when they had such a place, it was only common courtesy in anyone else who knew of it to keep his knowledge to himself. “ George Orwell 1984 Chapter 4

Edited by Casanundra

But fortunately we are talking about the internet and not a cohesive 'whole' that is ever possible to properly regulate.

Searching around for methods to anonymously and simply circumvent these types of restriction is certain to yield positive results for anyone with half an hour on their hands.

On the other hand, if 30mins is too much of a hassle, get a friend in a 'free' world to email you 'Torpark' - a free version of firefox browser with built in Tor circuit.... also bypasses company website blockers - although you really shouldn't do that, obviously. Uisng a proxy, or alternative DNS server is not in any way illegal mind you, so use them freely as everyone else is anyway...

"the right way is to use DNS servers, different from those provided by ISP. lets say one in Japan, second - in Germany, third - in Taiwan. Enough to be redirected to the right sites, and kiss local restrictions goodbye." - another good tip, never tried it but may be easier/more reliable than the 'free' proxies which end up blocked or unusable...

coops

Uisng a proxy, or alternative DNS server is not in any way illegal mind you, so use them freely as everyone else is anyway...

However the Thai government will not take kindly to a site discussing them and is why this forum rule is in place > "We do not allow discussions of proxies or other methods of bypassing government blocking of websites. "

//Closed

Uisng a proxy, or alternative DNS server is not in any way illegal mind you, so use them freely as everyone else is anyway...

However the Thai government will not take kindly to a site discussing them and is why this forum rule is in place > "We do not allow discussions of proxies or other methods of bypassing government blocking of websites. "

//Closed

Agreed :o