The Tea Thread

I thought i would start this thread in case there was anyone else out there growing tea. Our family grows tea, but not in an efficient or knowledgeable way. I am in the process of setting up a few rai of tea in terraces. In fact i am very close to planting, however, I have just come across some conflicting information about tea and tea prices. As this is Thailand it is very difficult to tell who is telling the truth and who is just spouting off something they heard or something they made up. What I would like to do with this thread is to share information and links to sites and organizations that would have real information about growing tea and the market here in Thailand.

The main concern I have right now is about tea variety. As far as I can tell there are two main varieties grown in Thailand. there is the big leaf variety, and the small leaf variety. The small leaf variety they call Oolong and the bigger variety they call Assam. The proper names for these are Camellia sinensis. sinensis and Camellia sinensis Assam respectively. Basically it is the same plant with some genetic variation. From what I can ascertain the larger leaf variety is more hardy but produces less tea. Whereas the small leaf version requires irrigation and extra care in this climate but produces more tea. I also understand that the small leaf variety is the most common type world wide for black and green teas.

I could be wrong about everything, so please help me with corrections.

I need to choose which variety to grow. To make this decision I need to know market prices, but lately I have heard that the small leaf variety is running about 14 baht a kilo of undried leaf, whereas the Assam is about 100 baht. But I have also been told that this is a seasonal fluctuation. Does anybody have better information about market prices in Thailand, and or links to government projects or organizations that can give advice.

Any help is appreciated

• Like 1

I recommend spending some value time in Mae Salong in northern Thailand or take a trip to Guangzhou China. You can learn so many things if you spend time there and observe or ask questions to English speaking locals. From my understanding the small leaf is young tea whereas the larger leaf is older. At least this is the case for Da Hong Pao. Some teas with smaller leaves can yield a better price since they can be more expensive. The best Oolong tea that I've tried is from Taiwan ( having 3-leaves). In China many teas are refrigerated whereas here in Thailand they don't follow this method to maintain freshness. I'm sorry if I didn't answer your question but there are so many types of tea and the processes are not all the same. I wish you much success and would like to try your tea when it's available.

What I know about tea:

For me the taste of Assam black tea is the best.

But ofcourse that is a matter of taste.

The quality of the water to brew the tea is most important. This fact should be stressed to the consumer.

Best way to get best price for your tea is a good marketing concept.

For example: Selling the tea packed in 500 g or 1.000 g packets via internet.

If you can produce a controled and certified organic tea it's even better.

Avoid any middle man. Sell direct.

Glad to see some responses, Ayg I will have my wife read your link, My reading speed in Thai is glacial. But thank you very much, this the type of thing I am searching for.

-Tony I do intend to hop up to Mae Salong, It actually isn't that far away from here. The big leaf tea (assam) is definitely a different variety. I have seen them planted close to each other, they have a larger leaf, the bush gets bigger, and the are a lighter color of green too. Not to mention they have a different scientific classification.

-Max, I may have a go at selling a packaged product, but I think initially we are just going to sell to a processor.

Glad to see some responses, Ayg I will have my wife read your link, My reading speed in Thai is glacial. But thank you very much, this the type of thing I am searching for.

If you follow the link and scroll down, there's a full English translation. That's why I posted that link, rather than others in Thai.

For a Thai language resource, there's http://www.teainstitutemfu.com/ - but the site is badly messed up. Best to search Google for:

site:www.teainstitutemfu.com

to see the available pages.

Perhaps of interest is http://www.teainstitutemfu.com/ducument/TR8.pdf (and yes, that is how they spell document).

From your OP it is clear you still have a lot to learn about tea - and if you are going to invest serious money in a tea plantation - even a small one - you will need to know about the different varieties of tea and what conditions they require to grow them successfully - eg varieties suited to lowland or highland farming. You must do your homework first.

The local Thai variety is Camelia sinensis assamica - generally known just as assamica or big leaf tea - cha bai yai - and that will grow almost anywhere across the hills and mountains of northern Thailand because it is native to the area. However, most - but not all - assamica is low grade tea that sells for a low price. There are also the imported Oolong varieties - found mostly at Mae Salong in Chiang Rai, eg #12 and #17 - which get higher prices but are much more fussy about the climate and soil conditions - and more prone to pests and diseases. Also growing the tea is not enough - you must know all about how, when, etc to harvest it - and what to do with it after it has been picked - obviously the different drying and roasting methods produce a wide range of different teas.

I am a tea merchant - based in Chiang Mai - and well acquainted with many of the tea producers in Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai area - especially at Mae Salong - and we export Thai tea all over the world. If you would like any more info - I suggest you PM me - rather than discussing here.

Very good, I will contact you by PM Doublephil. I knew there would be someone out there that knows about growing tea in Thailand. Thailand grows a lot of tea after all. It is not too late for me, I am only getting the land prepared and I haven't planted anything. At this stage I need to choose the tea type, after that I have a some years to learn about how to sell it, and whether or not I will try to make my own product our just sell fresh leaves. Hopefully you will be able to help me out a bit.

Yes I know very little about tea, but I am able to learn a thing or two yet. Thank you for your post.

If you follow the link and scroll down, there's a full English translation. That's why I posted that link, rather than others in Thai.

For a Thai language resource, there's http://www.teainstitutemfu.com/ - but the site is badly messed up. Best to search Google for:

site:www.teainstitutemfu.com

to see the available pages.

Perhaps of interest is http://www.teainstitutemfu.com/ducument/TR8.pdf (and yes, that is how they spell document).

Oops, I looked the first time and went right past the English part. My eyes are getting old.

Thanks you for your links, all this is helping me put the picture together. I might also try to meet with someone from the tea institute at Mae Fa Luang

• 2 months later...

In case anyone was wondering I put in about 1500 camelia sinensis sinensis and about 1800 camelia sinensis assam.

Here is a pic

tea-pana700.jpg

About 30 % of the field is around the corner and hidden from view, but this is the best angle I can do.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 1

In case anyone was wondering I put in about 1500 camelia sinensis sinensis and about 1800 camelia sinensis assam.

Here is a pic

tea-pana700.jpg

About 30 % of the field is around the corner and hidden from view, but this is the best angle I can do.

Where are you located? When your tea is ready I would like to try it, if it's tasty and not so expensive. :)