Taxi from airport at 10 pm?

bod

I've never arrived late at night (10 pm) at Chiangmai airport. Is at that time of the day the same taxi service available as at daytime, when you can get a taxi for about 140 Baht to almost anywhere downtown Chiangmai?

Or do I have to deal with mentally unstable songtaew drivers?

Edited by bod

I usually ask the hotel to pick me up. Only costs tens of baht more as a rule (depending on the hotel).

But the daytime taxi service also operates at nighttime, for a standard rate?

I usually ask the hotel to pick me up. Only costs tens of baht more as a rule (depending on the hotel).

Unless you're off the plane first, you are likely to be in a queue. Then the available taxis get taken, which doesn't take long if the flight is reasonably full.

You don't need to tell me about arriving at CNX late, been there, done that.

Like I said, I usually ask the hotel to pick me up, my time is worth more than hanging around for 30-60 minutes waiting for a taxi for the sake of a few coins.

Yes, the daytime taxi operates whenever there are incoming flights, although here lately the standard fare seems to be 150 baht.

But be aware that at night they charge an extortionate 500 baht!!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Yes, the daytime taxi operates whenever there are incoming flights, although here lately the standard fare seems to be 150 baht.

Anyone who can confirm the rate for a taxi at night from the airport is 500 Baht?

Nobody can because that's not the rate!

The rate from the airport to Watkate or Muang is 150 baht, even when arriving at 10pm.

EDIT: there are two "taxi meter" desks inside the baggage hall, get a ticket from one of them and confirm the price - if you use a freelance black cab outside the terminal then it's conceivable that you could be charged 500 baht.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 2

No way are the blue and yellow taxis charging 500 baht. I often see people off on that late night Korean Air flight and leave the airport after 10 pm. It's always 150 baht back home to Huey Kaew area. Come to think of it. I think it's 120 baht to Huey Kaew and 150 baht if I'm going to into the central city.

• Like 1

Nobody can because that's not the rate!

The rate from the airport to Watkate or Muang is 150 baht, even when arriving at 10pm.

EDIT: there are two "taxi meter" desks inside the baggage hall, get a ticket from one of them and confirm the price - if you use a freelance black cab outside the terminal then it's conceivable that you could be charged 500 baht.

Never had a problem, as you say get the ticket,with price, from the booth,. walk outside, a driver will see you with the ticket and his taxi is usually close by. The worst thing you can do is wander outside without a ticket ,depending on arrivals you could be in for a lengthy wait.

• Like 2

Anyone who can confirm the rate for a taxi at night from the airport is 500 Baht?

180 baht, 2 passengers to Hang Dong in a taxi-van. 11pm. Problem?

Unless you're off the plane first, you are likely to be in a queue. Then the available taxis get taken, which doesn't take long if the flight is reasonably full.

Like I said, I usually ask the hotel to pick me up, my time is worth more than hanging around for 30-60 minutes waiting for a taxi for the sake of a few coins.

Doesn't matter when you get off if you have baggage which most travelers do.

Bod, no problem at all for you here. So typical of Thai Visa Chiangmai post responses, one off ""extortionate 500 baht!!" experiences alarmingly recalled, or made up from thin air.

In fact if you are staying at a hotel maybe you could call and ask? I think it will cost you quite more than "tens of baht" unless you are staying in a suite somewhere quite pricey anyway.

I am not the 10pm arrival expert, I can tell you about 18:30 and 20:00 (TG 116-120). For the past few years I have never seen a significant queue at either rank except during high season, which is hardly a factor now. Friday evenings are busy with arriving weekenders from BKK. Checked bags or not you might wait all of 5 minutes (or you might see someone going to the same condo and do a sharesmile.png ) In the "no have car" scenario all one would do is walk a few paces to the departure drop off kerb where you will IMMEDIATELY find an alighting songthaew or tuk-tuk more than happy to transport you. Mentally unstable "songtow" drivers seem to be rare, I've never encountered one. Most likely there will be a surplus of vehicles waiting to provide a polite and professional driver with two main services offering flat-rate fares into town. We use Chiangmai Airport Taxi Cooperative exclusively, "Airport Taxi" as all the vehicles all have the 41Sticker which considerably shortens travel time our particular destination.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 2

Doesn't matter when you get off if you have baggage which most travelers do.

Doesn't matter to me either, because my bags are usually off first and I have a driver waiting outside the baggage hall.

500 baht made up from thin air?

Some flights arrive in the middle of the night. Hangzhou-CNX by AirAsia for example.

At there time there are only taxis (no songthaews) and they will charge a minimum of 500 baht even for a small distance.

Given a daytime price of 120 or so, I do think that is extortionate.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The taxi counter wanted 200 baht to Rimping Condo the last 2 times we've flown in - 3 months ago and just a few days ago - as they said it's 'far away'. Both times we've almost immediately found a red songteow for 100 baht and gave a 20 baht tip for them being honest enough not to ask an outrageous price and accepting the 100 baht offer straight away. (Same drill going to the airport from here).

• Like 1

The taxi counter wanted 200 baht to Rimping Condo the last 2 times we've flown in - 3 months ago and just a few days ago - as they said it's 'far away'. Both times we've almost immediately found a red songteow for 100 baht and gave a 20 baht tip for them being honest enough not to ask an outrageous price and accepting the 100 baht offer straight away. (Same drill going to the airport from here).

Why it is then that I can pick up a phone and call the taxi service and pay just 140 baht for that same journey, eludes me. Ditto why, when I get off a plane at any time of day or night and make the same journey you're talking about, it's always 140 baht - I must be doing something right or you must be doing something wrong!

All that for 80 B savings? On the wooden bench, open air, with a chance to get killed by a reckless driver?

Principle , not money. And as a bonus we found one just as we walked out the door - beating the queue.

Why it is then that I can pick up a phone and call the taxi service and pay just 140 baht for that same journey, eludes me. Ditto why, when I get off a plane at any time of day or night and make the same journey you're talking about, it's always 140 baht - I must be doing something right or you must be doing something wrong!

You must be doing something right thumbsup.gif

First time, in March, we thought they were trying it on which is why we asked again on Friday, but got the same thing and just couldn't be bothered. I know they often try the 'need bigger car' one, and to be honest it annoys me as we've never had to get a bigger car (only 2 of us, max 3 cases, but they've said we need a bigger car with just 2) and I don't want to be getting chewed up when coming in from a long flight.

We should phone a taxi when going there, but that would involve being at least a little bit organised. whistling.gif I really don't mind songteows though, OK for short journies and in Chiang Mai they are on the whole fair (and quite sane) so I like to give them my business.

• Like 1

Some flights arrive in the middle of the night. Hangzhou-CNX by AirAsia for example.

At there time there are only taxis (no songthaews) and they will charge a minimum of 500 baht even for a small distance.

This gets back to what I have posted many times. In Bangkok you would go by the meter. In CM they have meters to be legal and to get their taxi licence but no one enforces the use of.

Seeing that the Army has cleaned up the taxi mafia in Phuket they might put CM next on the list.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This gets back to what I have posted many times. In Bangkok you would go by the meter. In CM they have meters to be legal and to get their taxi licence but no one enforces the use of.

Seeing that the Army has cleaned up the taxi mafia in Phuket they might put CM next on the list.

I agree with you Sparkles, my old friend, it would be great to see CM taxi drivers using their meters. But in CM the problem is not with the taxis but with the Songthaew mafia, who forced an agreement with the local authority a number of years ago that the 'new' meter taxis - as they were then, could not pick up passengers on the streets. (they also ripped the bus stop signs up and generally impeded the development of an efficient bus service). Thereafter the taxis were more of a mini-cab service than a taxi service using call centres and mobile phone bookings: hence the fixed fares. I would think it unlikely that the army consider it high up their list of priorities to take on the Songthaew mafia in Chiang Mai (especially as a few of their colleagues are probably on the payroll!!)

• Like 1

All that for 80 B savings? On the wooden bench, open air, with a chance to get killed by a reckless driver?

Principle , not money. And as a bonus we found one just as we walked out the door - beating the queue.

I reckon that anyone that uses the 'principle' argument is almost always getting it the wrong way round. It's the money, not the principle. If some people say that the going rate for an air conditioned taxi at night is now 150b to downtown, then the extra 50baht for a further trip does not justify the 'principle' argument. Assuming you think it should be only 20baht more to Rimping, you're arguing the toss over 30baht!

After a long flight, particularly late at night, I just want to get home and if the fare is 200b for a clean cool taxi as opposed to 120b for a bone-rattling hot, uncomfortable, drive-like-an-idiot songthaew ( which is usually the case), I know which one I'd take. Airport taxis in Chiang Mai are excellent in my view. They post their rates and if you're just outside the 150b zone, then so be it, it costs a bit more. Sure, a songthaew is cheaper, and sometimes the driver is good, but that comes under the 'price not the principle' argument.

The 'principle' argument also implies some kind of scam or ripoff. If the prices are clearly posted then no such thing has happened. Bearing in mind the fees that a taxi company probably pays in order to get the concession, the better quality of cars , especially compared to a songthaew, the greater security, and a more comfortable drive, the price difference is a bargain, and insignificant in my mind. Principle or not.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

I also go to the the departure level in Suvarnabhumi when I don't carry too much luggage to jump the queue. Fair argument here.

In CNX I think however the taxis from the airport are the fair part of the bunch, I pay 200B to Hang Dong, flat rate, and never had to wait for more than 10 mins. I would not even consider to take one of the Mafia Songthaws.

Sad thing is, in CNX you need a car as in almost all cities in Thailand, besides Bangkok, to survive properly.

You got badly burned by someone if you paid 500 baht. I have arrived late and had to go through a long immigration queue and then wait for bags. In that situation it is sometimes a long wait for an authorized metered taxi. But if faced with no cabs and shark taxis, I would roll my bag out to the road and flag down a songtaew or a tuk tuk.

You got badly burned by someone if you paid 500 baht. I have arrived late and had to go through a long immigration queue and then wait for bags. In that situation it is sometimes a long wait for an authorized metered taxi. But if faced with no cabs and shark taxis, I would roll my bag out to the road and flag down a songtaew or a tuk tuk.

Never have had a problem there.

Just wondering if you are coming in late and going through all the stuff you talk about it is more than likely midnight when you get to the road and wait for a tuk tuk or songthaew. Is there many on the road there at that time of night?