Thai rice miller gets 20 years in jail for rice pledging frauds

webfact

You don't need 20 year sentence to get info and confessions.

Just pay. But do you really think there is going to be a trail from a rice storage in chaiyaphum all the way to Yingluck or the cabinet?

You are I think, going to be disappointed. This stuff in this story is small.beer and involves too many people. This type of story wont be connected to the big guys, and the evidence definitely won't implicate anyone big.

The way most criminal investigations work in a hierarchy based criminal system is starting at the lowest level. If you're a narcotics cop, you catch a street dealer, you get him to flip on the neighborhood dealer. His info may not be enough to get you a conviction but now you know who's next up in the hierarchy which is valuable information. You investigate that guy catch him doing something and try to flip him to rat out the guy above him. And so on and so on and so on.

You would be amazed at how many criminal organizations have been brought down by some low level guy getting nabbed on a relatively minor offense who wants to make a deal to avoid prison time. Once the dominos start to fall, it's only a matter of time before a good investigator can put together a picture of what's going on.

That said, I'm a little discouraged that this case made the press. Usually if the investigators have someone who is willing to flip they drag the case out so they can investigate those higher up without setting off any alarm bells. As long as the guy is in the court system everyone above him feels safe because what's supposed to happen to a low level guy is happening. If you got caught with a kilo of blow and the next day you're walking around the neighborhood, your life expectancy if pretty low.

The fact that these guys are tried and convicted probably means that the they investigation ran into a dead end. Everybody knows who they are. Nobody higher up is going to even speak to them.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

would be good if Taksin Yinglook the clan and hangers on who certainly tool their cut got same and please any Taksin red short supporters dont be so naive to think they did not

To deny Takains regme was not totally corrupt and rotten to core is like denying the holocost

To deny Takains regme was not totally corrupt and rotten to core is like denying the holocost

I don't think you have said what you wanted to say. Grammatically you have stated that the Taksin's regime was not totally corrupt and rotten to the core.

As for your accusations. I prefer to wait and see what evidence is produced against the regime.

Subsidies and government schemes even the best intentioned get abused and corrupted. I remember back in the 80's the scandal of exploitation by Italians and others of EU common agricultural policies. Just because their is corruption at the local level does not prove that there is collusion between farmers, millers and government ministers.

Taksin is not the problem he is a symptom. The question is: can a general who probably purchased his commission be trusted to rid Thailand of corruption?