Honest scooter renters on Samui

I know there are threads about honest places to rent scooters on Koh Phangan, but I can't find anything about Samui.

Does anyone know any trustworthy scooter renters on the island and their location?

Thanks.

My landlord owns about 80 motor bikes (and 11 cars). He has his own motorbike repair shop on the ring road in Lamai, between TescoLotus and the turning into Walking Street. It is very busy but his rented bikes get priority over anyone else.

I have known him about 2 years.

See his website for prices and contact details:

http://www.bigtreesvillagesamui.com

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

My landlord owns about 80 motor bikes (and 11 cars). He has his own motorbike repair shop on the ring road in Lamai, between TescoLotus and the turning into Walking Street. It is very busy but his rented bikes get priority over anyone else.

I have known him about 2 years.

See his website for prices and contact details:

http://www.bigtreesvillagesamui.com

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Rates seem reasonable and good to know you've known him for a long time.

I'll definitely check him out.

I hope the bikes aren't too spotless because I've found a lot of renters are more anal about brand new bikes.

Really just after a small automatic that won't attract any attention (get pinched).

If you are in the Bangrak/Choengmon area then

New Wave in Choengmon (opposite the White House)

Guy on the Ghost Road - 50 metres on the left from Bangrak

Ian at the Premier bar in Bangrak.

I am sure that there are loads more - but I can personally vouch for these three.

• Like 1

The classifieds are good. I used to rent mine from a lovely bloke I met on the classifieds here who owned a vicious three legged dog called butterfly - if he happens to be reading would be great to get back in touch with him.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

My experience with Samui renters is that they will all suck the gas out of the rental returns leaving just enough to start it and then re-selling you over priced gas that they've gleaned from the rental returns thus increasing their take. I find that of questionable honesty.

Do you know if he expects passport, or is he happy with passport copy and deposit?

Not that I plan on smashing the bike up or running away with it, but I don't feel safe handing my passport over, plus it will probably be a 5 month rental anyway unless I get an edu visa and end up buying my own bike.

Do you know if he expects passport, or is he happy with passport copy and deposit?

Not that I plan on smashing the bike up or running away with it, but I don't feel safe handing my passport over, plus it will probably be a 5 month rental anyway unless I get an edu visa and end up buying my own bike.

For 5 months you'd be much better off buying a used bike and selling it when you've finished. Even if you bought and sold from a used bike shop you'd be paying less than renting.

• Like 1

He generally asks for the passport which he keeps in his safe. I am happy for him to hold mine so I know it won't be stolen. He gives it back to you if you need to apply for a 30 day extension on your 60 day visa from Immigration; or if you need to do a visa run; or if you need to show it to your bank e.g. you need a new transaction book because the old one is full up. But that is something you can discuss with him.

• Like 1

I know a small rental its not a company its a small family business own by a Thai woman in her forties no doubt she is honest and very helpful,

in Lamai too not far (almost in front) of IT center I PM you her tel number sure she will not ask your passport

l PM you her phone number so you will have choice

Edited by Tchooptip
  • Like 1

i'll vouch for me smile.png contact me in PM if interested. click starts at 2500 baht per month.

Where are you based?

I'm hopefully going to get there by next weekend now, but going by another thread I started I think I should start my house hunt in Lamai.

I'll give you a PM nearer the time.

My experience with Samui renters is that they will all suck the gas out of the rental returns leaving just enough to start it and then re-selling you over priced gas that they've gleaned from the rental returns thus increasing their take. I find that of questionable honesty.

Actually they leave one litre in the tank.... more than enough to get to the nearest gas station...... coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Actually they leave one litre in the tank.... more than enough to get to the nearest gas station...... coffee1.gif

One liter?

Normal click can hold 2.5 liter max.

You can get to nearest gas station on one deciliter.

One liter?

Normal click can hold 2.5 liter max.

You can get to nearest gas station on one deciliter.

Depends on where you are as to how far, with the exception of a few areas on Samui, it's not that far to a gas station... I know my own bike will travel about 22 kms once the gas bar starts flashing....

The two shops I know locally on Samui leave a litre.... the shop I use on KP has perhaps 1/2 litre...but enough to get to a gas station.... It perhaps varies ? But I can't imagine any shops, leave the tank empty...

Yes there are plenty of good honest scooter renters around, but you "pays yer money, and takes yer chances" I recently sent a person to an 'honest' renter at an Indian restaurant in Soi Maenam Resort. When he got down the road, he found that the visor was broken and would'nt stay up, anyhow he continued . When he came back the owner said that he had broken it and wanted bht400 for replacement even though it was obviously broken previously. I will never again recommend anybody for anything.