Why to never take your bike to the dealer

sate ayam

jesus f........... christ

never seen such a bunch of amateurs

and that is supposed to be the dealer, the face of a mayor brand of products with supposedly qualified mechanics

case#1 the drainage plug

got a 6 months old scooter, went to a big dealer in the city, asked them to change engine oil and gear oil

picked it up one hour later,paid the bill

happy riding knowing the fluids have been changed...............................NOT !

after riding the bike for one kilometer, i had lunch, hopped onto the bike but (old habit of mine) spotted lots of oil underneath the bike

drainage bolt ? very loose

dealer said sorry and replaced the oil.........without charge of course

case #2 other mayor dealer

purchased a bike, ran fine but wouldn't start after i decided to rinse out the u box

found out simple part was missing

ask dealer to fix it

got it back , ran way slower than before

and that part was still missing

half a tank of fuel was missing, saw with my own eyes an employee siphoning half a liter of fuel from another costumer, he either didn't notice me or totally ignored coz im just a stupid falang

case #3 mayor dealer of number # brand

some carb work done on bike

back at home, i noticed scratches on both sides of the recently repainted and restickered tank........

too late to go back now huh.............feeling sick/miserable/angry mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gif

in a few occasions i was told to purchase a new carburator but after fiddling and properly routing all hoses I actually got them to work

i guess they like the lazy way out instead of doing a properly mechanics job

btw.........wearing nice working clothes doesn't always mean a job will be properly done

I know some somchai shop around the corner who is ALWAYS busy, I might go there next time

last but not least.............a good mechanic is worth GOLD !!!!

• Like 1

I usually go to the Piston Shop. Unfortunately the quality of the staff (and thus work) sometimes varies, but the owner Nat (who also speaks excellent English) knows his stuff and during many years now I have never had any reason to doubt neither his knowledge nor honesty. Not sure if he services small scooters also though. Might not.

I sympathise with you.

Some solutions.

1. Go to shops where you can watch while they fix it. There are many.

2. If you can find a shop with a manager who is strong with all staff including mechanics, stick with it.

3. If you can read Thai, go on the Thai forums and find the best workshops.

4. If you are in Chonburi or Bangkok, I can point you to garages I would recommend. (But you're not!)

• Like 1

As you seem to be such an experienced mechanic why would you even bother going to the dealer especially for something as simple as an oil change ? The other problems you have had you seem to know what needs to be done yet didn't do it ? wub.png

• Like 1

its a combination of low price, not want to mess on my landlords property, laziness, lack of tools that leaves me to third parties

if the hourly rate was 70euros ex vat I would be more motivated to do stuff myself.......hehe

• Like 2

but it might be mandatory during warranty period. They didn't put the cap back on after an oil change on a friend's almost new Honda Accord...at the dealer, in America. Had one of the biggest tire places give me back my car with someone else's wheel on it....you gotta watch people. If I have to spend any more time making sure the Thais aren't overcharging me; I am going to have to get a work permit, because it's real work. Like when they attempted to charge me 569 for a faucet clearly marked 519 the other day. And they are always more than willing to get about 6 people involved and the usual, "Just a moment...," don't need a scrum; just fix your careless error, and perhaps having a few of the 100 people, on the time clock, checking price accuracy might be a decent suggestion. Beautiful Thai made faucet works great....

Edited by Thighlander
  • Like 1

I take my bikes, a Click, Phantom and an HD to a small shop next to the Honda dealer. They know what to do for everything except the HD but I show them and they just 'get it'.

I stopped in with 2 broken water pumps for my house only to ask if they knew where I could get them fixed. The guy says 'I can do'. 600 hundred Baht to repair both.

At the same time I took him the Click. I don't ride it or really want anything to do with it but the MIL gets people to take her to get mushrooms on it. No charge.

I have watched this guy porting a small m/c engine. Not sure i'd want my HD done there but the guy knows some <deleted>.

There are some good people around. Just have to get lucky.

Not in CM but in BFE Isan.

yeh same with me, had problems with my carby, went to loacl honda dealer where i brought the bike many years ago, told me dont make that carby and no parts any more need a new one..hmmm thinking BS but gave the ok with for the new carby..picked it up 2000 bt ..., 12 months later had same problem took it to a non dealer fearing another new carby..but to my not so surprise off cause they can be fixed said the local engineer, so off he goes to fetch new carby kit ...wondering whether i actually got a new carby from the honda dealer...whistling.gif

" last but not least.............a good mechanic is worth GOLD !!!! '

this is the point.

I took my car always to Toyota during the warranty period (100K Km).

They were slow and slower, and always made dirty seats with their hands. I told them many times then gave up. This was Toyota United in Bkk, Theparak Rd.

Of course those services were d_amn expensive too.

Now I have a good mechanic (Bangna Rd. behind Index livingmall, and this guy is 1st class. Knows everything, and if he finds something else he drops a call and asks: may I change/repair it ? The cost is ...

Hi Members.

I have posted this before but maybe you did not see it. On Saturday I went and purchased two upmarket hinges for wall cupboard fitted with glass doors. They were the type that have built in pistons that slow the doors down when closing. I could see the pistons and the general design through the plastic wrap so I purchased them 460 bath for 2. The day after I went to fit them and discovered they were slightly different in shape and would not fit. I returned them to the upmarket very large complex where I had purchased them. They said they did not refund money and I would have to buy something else. Here comes the magic bit . All I said was, O.K. I will contact the Consumers Association. I had my money refunded quick smart. This is worth knowing if you get caught out.

My wife insists we wait and watch while repairs are being done, even if it takes hours. She says they like to switch old parts for the newer ones if you have them. It's easy enough to do here, they don't seem to mind you waiting and there's always a shop or food car nearby. At home they are not too keen on you hanging around.

Edited by dotpoom

As you seem to be such an experienced mechanic why would you even bother going to the dealer especially for something as simple as an oil change ? The other problems you have had you seem to know what needs to be done yet rolleyes.gif do it ? wub.png

Like he said,,Lazy,,And maybe he talks a lot but can't really fix it rolleyes.gif

I remember the first service on my 650, obviously at the main dealers. Delivered bike, told to come back in a few hours, not a problem.

On arrival back at the garage to pick up my bike, the bike's outside with some twenty-something sh*te sitting on it, revving the <deleted> out if it whilst looking at some female staff giving it the 'look at me, don't I look a prick' at which point one of the ladies signaled my arrival. I'm staring at this kid, as you would, where he then proceeds to look down at the engine, listening, trying to look all professional. To my relief the hard-revving had stopped.

Problem 2; a few hours after that and stopping to get a bite to eat and give the Mrs and I's rear time to rest, I noticed a large scratch across the windshield, like a tool had been scraped along it. Can't be sure it had come from the dealership as I noticed it after coming out a restaurant but I'm quite sure it came from there.

Pay peanuts ... get monkeys

Edited by lostmebike
  • Like 1

Honda, Niyom Panich, CM. Head mec is a guy named MeeMee. Understands more English than what he speaks, but is definitely solid guy. Took my CBR in for 1st normal service. Got it back, headed home, and noticed something wasn't right. Turned around and went back to Honda. MeeMee comes out, takes a look and finds the chain is loose. Finds the guy who did the work on my bike, calls him outside and reams him a new one right in front of me. Has the guy adjust it while he watches. When done, he apologized to me for having stupid worker. Any time I have a problem with any of the bike I have, or have had, I always explain to him what's wrong, and he makes sure it's fixed right. There are some good ones, just as there are some idiots. Just have to find the right ones.

• Like 1

I remember the first service on my 650, obviously at the main dealers. Delivered bike, told to come back in a few hours, not a problem.

On arrival back at the garage to pick up my bike, the bike's outside with some twenty-something sh*te sitting on it, revving the <deleted> out if it whilst looking at some female staff giving it the 'look at me, don't I look a prick' at which point one of the ladies signaled my arrival. I'm staring at this kid, as you would, where he then proceeds to look down at the engine, listening, trying to look all professional. To my relief the hard-revving had stopped.

Problem 2; a few hours after that and stopping to get a bite to eat and give the Mrs and I's rear time to rest, I noticed a large scratch across the windshield, like a tool had been scraped along it. Can't be sure it had come from the dealership as I noticed it after coming out a restaurant but I'm quite sure it came from there.

Pay peanuts ... get monkeys

but, given an infinite number of monkeys and in infinite number of attempts, they will indeed fix

• Like 1

My bike has been running rough and I took it many times to the Honda dealer Nat Motor in CM on Huay Kaew road. The fourth time the mechanic showed me an old corroided spark plug. Now the bike runs great. Fourth time is a charm but three strikes and you're out with me. I will find another mechanic.

My bike has been running rough and I took it many times to the Honda dealer Nat Motor in CM on Huay Kaew road. The fourth time the mechanic showed me an old corroided spark plug. Now the bike runs great. Fourth time is a charm but three strikes and you're out with me. I will find another mechanic.

I've never been to that place, but have friends who have. All of them have complained about it. Switched to Honda at Niyom Panich, and now are happy campers.

The complaints are pretty much what I would expect of mechanics all around the world.

some are great and some are lame. trick is finding one.

I've had really good luck with a dealer in Chiang Rai with my 24 year old Honda, getting it in shape.

During the last big rain the wind picked it up and threw it into a foot of water where it soaked it good.

wheeled it down to this local guy who had to take it half apart to get it running. The guy fixed every little rattle and loose

bit, double checking everything. Obviously trying to impress with me with his service to gain a new customer.

Even though happy with the dealer I'm switching to the new guy.

Don't even get me started...

I live in Chiang Mai and have 3 bikes and a car.

I took my car in for a service at a big dealership for a scheduled service the other day and from the waiting room I see the "mechanic" take the air cleaner out to clean it while the car is still running, useless a-hole.

One of my bikes is a Honda and you need to have warranty work and most scheduled servicing done by the dealership where you get charged twice as much as you should and you are treated like you're a pain in the ass. Where it can also take up to 2 weeks to get your bike in for a service and where orders for simple parts like clutch cables, levers and accessories etc have taken 3 weeks to arrive or simply never arrived at all and the staff don't give a shyt and won't even re-order them. On the other hand I have been to other Bigwing dealerships such as Pattaya and they were very professional and absolutely superb to deal with.

Outside of the rare few that are professional mechanics and act professional in general the mechanical aptitude in Thailand is nothing short of pathetic.