THAI yet to discuss cancellation of free tickets for board

webfact

THAI yet to discuss cancellation of free tickets for board

BANGKOK, 11 June 2014 (NNT) - Acting President of Thai Airways International (THAI) Chokchai Panyayong says he has not yet been informed of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO)’s decision to cancel free plane tickets for the THAI board. He expects that there will be more clarity in in the matter during the board’s meeting next week.

The THAI acting president on Wednesday said he had not learnt about the council’s resolution on reduction of privileges for the airliner’s board. Mr Chokchai admitted that the board usually received ten free domestic flight tickets and ten more free international tickets.

The THAI board is scheduled to meet next week on the NCPO’s instructions for the company.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-11 footer_n.gif

this is more bull ...they are going to allow TENbah.gif tickets now but no more first class only business class......about time the facts were really printed in Thai media (I do not mean TV) not some headline grabbing bull to make people think that this perk has been stopped altogether

Seems like a case of denial. violin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTC.gif

Anyway, we here in TV have discussed it in yesterday's thread on the subject. And it seemed to get overwhelming support. So knee cap the free flying. passifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gi

the president of the company doesn't know what every single person reading this already knows. Gee I wonder why he can't run an airline? Someone below him will fill him in surely.........idiot

Edited by 1plumber
  • Like 2

I think it was in 2009 Thai announced it would not longer allow first class travel to the board and their families. It was changed to allow 10 domestic and 10 international flights for them and their family. It seems that this is now going to cease as well.

The meeting next week will be the formal change in format between the Junta and Thai airways.

Lets hope they keep "Bloody Mary's" on the drinks menu. The frequent flyers best friend!

One Thai Airways board member and his extended family of some 234 people (and the maid and the gardener and Toto, too) receiving 10 free domestic tickets and 10 international tickets each year is more than enough to bring down any airline If you earn a quarter of a million Baht salary per month or more.

By the way, the NCPO directive apparently doesn't touch on necessary business trips by the respective board member, which are still free. But it curtails the free-loading sojourns of god knows how many "family members". And if Mr. Board Member x would like to enjoy a weekend shopping trip to Hong Kong or London, let him pay for that, too. Fair is fair.

• Like 1

I think it was in 2009 Thai announced it would not longer allow first class travel to the board and their families. It was changed to allow 10 domestic and 10 international flights for them and their family. It seems that this is now going to cease as well.

The meeting next week will be the formal change in format between the Junta and Thai airways.

Lets hope they keep "Bloody Mary's" on the drinks menu. The frequent flyers best friend!

I think Super-Prayuth will soon hand out invitations for a 1 week holiday to some of the board members biggrin.png

• Like 1

Mean while Thai army officer gets free car, free chauffeur, free house boy, free hospital, free education for his kids through to university and a big fat pay off and pension.

When he cuts out the hundreds that get that free package he is maybe reforming in a real way, but that he will never do. Just the headline Grabbing cuts. Thai suffering to the point of going out of business thanks to the pre Coup and more now during the coup. So he saved a few bob but lost Thai millions.

What he should do to save the airline is bring in a foreign expert like British Airways and Emirates did, but off course Thai folks know best. The bunch in charge now all friends and chums of last regime. Thai is approx same size as Cathy Pacific and Malaysian Airlines but with 10,000 more jobs, drop 10,000 do nothing know thing employees, but again wont happen as that's a bad head line maker.

Edited by marstons
  • Like 1

One Thai Airways board member and his extended family of some 234 people (and the maid and the gardener and Toto, too) receiving 10 free domestic tickets and 10 international tickets each year is more than enough to bring down any airline If you earn a quarter of a million Baht salary per month or more.

By the way, the NCPO directive apparently doesn't touch on necessary business trips by the respective board member, which are still free. But it curtails the free-loading sojourns of god knows how many "family members". And if Mr. Board Member x would like to enjoy a weekend shopping trip to Hong Kong or London, let him pay for that, too. Fair is fair.

I don't think they are so tough with the rules....surely they'll issue a few more free tickets for the relatives of the gardeners.

(There was once a bitter complain from the labor union, that sometimes there are just a few tickets for sale in the business class because there are so many board members taking free tickets. Definitely the good woman said that EX-board members get also free tickets for lifetime).

Mean while Thai army officer gets free car, free chauffeur, free house boy, free hospital, free education for his kids through to university and a big fat pay off and pension.

When he cuts out the hundreds that get that free package he is maybe reforming in a real way, but that he will never do. Just the headline Grabbing cuts. Thai suffering to the point of going out of business thanks to the pre Coup and more now during the coup. So he saved a few bob but lost Thai millions.

What he should do to save the airline is bring in a foreign expert like British Airways and Emirates did, but off course Thai folks know best. The bunch in charge now all friends and chums of last regime. Thai is approx same size as Cathy Pacific and Malaysian Airlines but with 10,000 more jobs, drop 10,000 do nothing know thing employees, but again wont happen as that's a bad head line maker.

I'm curious to know if the officers' salary plus all those perks mentioned amount to the monthly salary plus remuneration given to directors of Thai Airways or any other SET listed company? My guess is probably not even half.

As said yesterday, THAI is only a scapegoat, and pretty well every incoming regime hacks at it. Yingluck hacked at its perks big time right after she took office, in September 2011. But all the board perks and assignments and all the rest go to the military AND to the boards of all the places the military sits. This idea of cutting Thai Airways International is old, yawn material. It's as significant as making the entertainment places turn off half their neon lights when there's a fuel shock. Old Bill Shakespeare got it right with his "sound and fury signifying nothing".

The junta will cut perks in the military, in the bureaucracy and at state firms or it won't. So far it hasn't.

I'm curious to know if the officers' salary plus all those perks mentioned amount to the monthly salary plus remuneration given to directors of Thai Airways or any other SET listed company? My guess is probably not even half.

Why would a military dictator or an elected democratic government care about the salaries paid by SET-listed companies?

But yes, to answer the question, almost all top military officers get more total all-in remuneration than most hired hands of a SET-listed company.

Edited by wandasloan

Anyway, we here in TV have discussed it in yesterday's thread on the subject. And it seemed to get overwhelming support. So knee cap the free flying. passifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gi

"Anyway, we here in TV have discussed it in yesterday's thread on the subject. And it seemed to get overwhelming support. "

Case closed. What better way to make decisions when governing a country of 67 million people ... see what garners support from a handful of cranky foreigners on a forum noted for its endemic Thai bashing.

• Like 1

Only a few of Thai's International aircraft have First Class, these are usually put on long haul international flights.

All the airlines I worked for in USA forbid using free travel benefits for commercail purposes and if they did catch you, you got fired. These Board Members have more free flights than I fly in my consulting business, and all my business is outside Thailand. I would think they are using for other than leisure travel.

I also do not understand high ranking Thai Air Force personnel being on the board, although I understand the RTAF (Defence Ministry) is a large stake holder.

I believe they need to bring some people from other successful airlines to audit the whole company and help them be profitable. There are a lot of retired airline management people available for that purpose.

The last time I talked with any of the Thai Management they would not even interview or hire anyone who was not a Thai National. What does that tell you ?

I don't have an overt issue with BOD free positive pass passes per se..

But.. I do think there needs to be better oversight and perhaps some middle ground sought.

I think it would still be within the realm of R&C for BOD entitlements for there to be some level of staff travel..

I might look at:

-More tightly defining who or what is "family" and might use the idea that they are your legally married spouse, your natural parents, and any legally recognized minor-aged children.

While that's just one definition, I do think they need to better define who qualifies.

I also think the number of passes could also be adjusted.

One idea might be to say they get X number of passes for regional trips - within North/South Asia, but a lower number for long-haul (Euro, Africa, N. America) sectors..

I also agree with the limitation of Business on a 3-cabin or First on a 2-cabin... And i would also agree to the idea of a partial embargo..

Like saying during known peak periods, they can't be reserved until you're within X days to departure (like 14-days or 10-days as example) therefore allowing a reasonable amount of time for these seats to be sold as revenue seats... But if they remain unsold THEN they could be reserved by BOD pass travel.

Outside of peak periods, I might extend the time period to maybe 21-days to recognize the overall lower load factors.

I don't have an overt issue with positive pass use by BOD.. Only that it should be done in a manner that better (IMHO) balances out the goal of the carrier to SELL these seats to revenue pax, but also gives pass users a reasonable chance to use them when doing so presents a relative low odds case of revenue-displacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

my father worked for CP Air form 1967 until he retired. Every family member got 4 free passes a year (excl airport tax) and additional flights were 75% off (excl airport tax).

I grew up flying around the world for free and extended my education to keep reaping the benefits for as long as possible.

Im all for employee benefits, but thai airways is shocking, any type of reform cant hurt.

• Like 1

"Anyway, we here in TV have discussed it in yesterday's thread on the subject. And it seemed to get overwhelming support. "

Case closed. What better way to make decisions when governing a country of 67 million people ... see what garners support from a handful of cranky foreigners on a forum noted for its endemic Thai bashing.

passifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gi

I think Super-Prayuth will soon hand out invitations for a 1 week holiday to some of the board members biggrin.png

It would probably make more sense to give many of them one-way tickets......!

• Like 1

And I have not heard one word about stopping the free tickets for the politicians...Every time I fly, first class is full of local politicians and their wives..

They didn't cancel the free tickets, they fired the politicians. Which has the same effect, with numerous other benefits.