How do thais view their immediate neighbours like laos, myanmar?

ultimate weapon

I suppose thailand is the richest country in that region save for malaysia and singapore ok not sure about malaysia but it's richer than laos,cambodia, myanmar countries that it shares a border with.

I think citizens of those countries would all be travelling to thailand illegally or legally like the myanmar guys that ended up as slaves on the shipping boats because they wanted to enter thailand illegally.

Do thai people treat citizens from these countries like how the US treats mexicans? Or like how greece treats say people from turkey. Or like how italy treats people from moroco.

How does Greece treat people from Turkey?

Although, we had a past history of Turkish occupation at present we are good friends, respecting and accepting each other.

We have a lot of Turkish Muslims living in the North of Greece and they have their own MP's in the Greek Parliament.

Also there are lot's of Greeks still living in Turkey and they are well respected and treated well.

Sorry, you used the wrong example.

Couple of things from the OP.

What's the GDP of Thailand when compared to Singapore on a national basis (not a per capita basis)?

Let me answer that for you.

GDP in USD in 2012 for Singapore was 274.7 Billion ... Thailand's GDP in USD in 2012 was 365.6 billion.

So, on a gross National GDP, Thailand is far superior to Singapore.

Do thai people treat citizens from these countries like how the US treats mexicans? How exactly do how the US treat mexicans. Ditto the next two.

Or like how greece treats say people from turkey. Or like how italy treats people from moroco.

Buriram: a large Cambodian speaking population. I guess they like Cambodia. On our side of the province, they speak Lao, as it was a part of Laos in the past. They like Laos. Thailand is too big to ask questions like this. i think you are maybe asking the question from the point of view of Bangkokians. They hate everyone that doesn't come from Bangkok, which of course includes most construction workers, street food sellers....

• Like 1

Although, we had a past history of Turkish occupation at present we are good friends, respecting and accepting each other.

We have a lot of Turkish Muslims living in the North of Greece and they have their own MP's in the Greek Parliament.

Also there are lot's of Greeks still living in Turkey and they are well respected and treated well.

Don't let it bother you Costas.

Ignore it.

• Like 1

View their immediate neighbours?

Why even go that far? They can't even learn to all love each other as fellow countrymen.

Bangkokians spend their life looking down on every Thai, so when it comes Laos and Cambodia, in general they consider them somewhere between pond scum and gum on the bottom of your shoe.

An annoyance that just won't be ignored.

What's the GDP of Thailand when compared to Singapore on a national basis (not a per capita basis)?

GDP in USD in 2012 for Singapore was 274.7 Billion ... Thailand's GDP in USD in 2012 was 365.6 billion.

Do thai people treat citizens from these countries like how the US treats mexicans? How exactly do how the US treat mexicans. Ditto the next two.

Or like how greece treats say people from turkey. Or like how italy treats people from moroco.

David, you are confusing GDP with GNP.

David, you are confusing GDP with GNP.

Costas, I understand what you mean but ...

Nope ... you can view it on a national basis and it's still referred to a GDP.

Happy to produce the graph from the World Bank if required.

Hasn't the army junta just warned that illegal migrant workers may be shot on sight.

Causing thousands to return to their countries in the last week.

Sure I saw that on a news report somewhere.

That would be a major impost on construction sites.

It's my understanding that many of the Labourers aren't Thai.

Hasn't the army junta just warned that illegal migrant workers may be shot on sight.

The schools will be bereft of English teachers if that is the case

That would be a major impost on construction sites.

It's my understanding that many of the Labourers aren't Thai.

It was reported in the Cambodian news section of TV, but has been deleted.

If you search TV with "migrant workers" the story appears on page 2 of the search but the link doesn't work.

Strange!

• Like 1

I almost kicked out from a Greece coffee shop, because I ordered a Turkish coffee. I didn't think anything...OK call me stupid ignorant....

But the responds was not so great....

They are maids, cleaners, servers. Uneducated and undomesticated. To be used and abused freely.

I'm not saying you are ethically wrong ... but they are not slaves.

They come to Thailand in search of a better wage.

Mate of mine is currently in Laos ATM and says that the daily wage is roughly about $3 a day.

I can understand why they come here.

I almost kicked out from a Greece coffee shop, because I ordered a Turkish coffee. I didn't think anything...OK call me stupid ignorant....

Must have been because you are Austrian.

Only joking, as it is a joke about the Greek or Turkish coffee.

When I am in Greece I also ask for Turkish coffee......just to make some ignorant people angry.

Actually it's not even Turkish, it was adopted by Ottomans from the Arab world in 16-17th centuries.

So, next time you are there, give them the correct facts.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Didn't costas say turks and greeks are fine with one another?

You see there is historical rivalry between the 2 of them cos the capital of turkey used to be greek and part of the holy roman empire. It isn't anything unique cos civiliaztions that have been side by side for a while have rivalry. Mexico and the US. Burma and thailand. It's also amazing that the burmese used to be so formidable in the past but in today's context the country is so much poorer compared to thailand cos it is so mismanaged.

OP, I don't understand this part of your question: "Do thai people treat citizens from these countries like how the US treats mexicans?"

Do you mean good or bad? The US is very good to Mexico and Mexicans, even the illegal immigrants.

The US does a lot of manufacturing in Mexico. The US buys a lot of farm products from Mexico,

Mexico is the #2 supplier of oil to the US, behind only Canada. The US helped Mexico develop its oil, but didn't steal it. It is purchased at market.

The US has a treaty to defend Mexico.

I don't see the Thais that I know being willing to do all of that for any neighbor.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You see there is historical rivalry between the 2 of them cos the capital of turkey used to be greek and part of the holy roman empire. It isn't anything unique cos civiliaztions that have been side by side for a while have rivalry. Mexico and the US. Burma and thailand. It's also amazing that the burmese used to be so formidable in the past but in today's context the country is so much poorer compared to thailand cos it is so mismanaged.

The last time I crossed the Greece / Turkey border it looked to me like they hated each other. Tanks and lots of military everywhere staring at each other. And the main road had huge ponds filled with water. When I asked about the ponds I was told they were to wash the dirt from one country so it didn't go into the other. That was in 1986 so maybe they have cooled their tensions since then.

Not the Roman Empire but the Byzantine Empire, that was the successor of the Roman Empire in the Greek-speaking, eastern part of the Mediterranean.

Christian in nature, it was perennially at war with the Muslims.

The Byzantine Empire existed for nearly 1125 years, and it's one of the greatest empires of all time.

Not the Roman Empire but the Byzantine Empire, that was the successor of the Roman Empire in the Greek-speaking, eastern part of the Mediterranean.

Christian in nature, it was perennially at war with the Muslims.

The Byzantine Empire existed for nearly 1125 years, and it's one of the greatest empires of all time.

isn't it also known as the holy roman empire?

Greatest? but fell to the ottomans.

Edited by ultimate weapon