Thailand's auto exports may set new record

webfact

Given the info on this link which I posted on the motoring forum there would seem to be a limited potential for new car imports into many countries.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-05-16/where-worlds-unsold-cars-go-die

I don't believe him. Maybe he has some of it right, but that pic he showed of 57,000 cars in the US is a joke. There were 15.6 million new cars sold in the US last year LINK and that's a drop in the bucket. Dealers and manufacturers try to keep at least a 3 month supply in the pipeline to fill orders for specific items. There's also always the danger of a strike and this gives the manufactures leverage over the unions.

I would expect him to be able to find pictures of at least 3+ million cars in the US, ready for shipping over the next few weeks.

I saw this argument years ago - I think it's a case of deliberate misinterpretation of photos to confirm a preconceived idea. One would need the dates models etc etc.

If you go to Laem Chabang one can see huge numbers of cars, but also the ro-ro cargo vessels they are stacked onto.

ALL con tries subsidise their motor industries in one way or another and buying cars from manufacturers has always been popular...

Sheerness BTW is a large port, I'm not sure if they still run the passenger service to Flushing (Vlissingen) in Holland, but i suspect it is a major departure point for the export of vehicles manufactures in UK to Europe.

Good points. I remember in the worst of the recession there were "last year's" models still for sale up to the end of the model year. That would be like a consumer being offered great deals on a 2013 model right now. A couple of the US auto manufacturers needed bailouts.

But they closed or cut back shifts at the factories until they caught up. But the opposite is true now with Ford opening 3 new plants in Detroit this year. Now that's a switch.

I truly believe that if there was this huge glut of "rotting" cars out there, that I would be seeing offers of huge rebates on new 2013 cars right now. But those cars aren't around. Any rebates on 2014 models aren't the great, and it's time to get rid of them as the 2015 models come out by September.

Not surprising seeing as Australia was basically shafted by Thailand on their FTA in the automotive industry.

See this article http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/B7D91955620B5A84CA257A0D00060A2A " where they say.

"But almost as soon as the FTA was signed, Thailand introduced a punitive sales tax on vehicles with engines over three litres and, as a result, compromised several prospective vehicle export opportunities for Australia."

Ford Australia had hopes of being able to sell the Australian manufactured Ford Territory in Thailand after the FTA but the Thais imposed the sales tax which put a stop to that. Ford Australia is now closing down http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-23/ford-to-close-geelong-and-broadmeadows-plants/4707960 while imports of Thai manufactured vehicles to Australia have gone through the roof.

Herb.

Why cant people be happy for Thailand?

If Thai people can stop shooting them selves on the foot with all this Political crap, Thailand is poised for a great future.I for one have great confidence on the Thai people.

This is good news for Thailand but you need to look at the bigger picture as well. Imported vehicles have extra taxes put on them. This was originally to protect the Thai auto industry which is apparently doing very well now. How long will those high taxes be tolerated by other counties who manufacture cars. Have the taxes been gradually cut back. I don't know but maybe someone else does. If they haven't it's going to come as a shock.

Things are going well but the future needs to be considered as well.

Considering that there is a huge decline in domestic sales thanks to the Thaksin populist policy of the first car buyer relief scheme, that also ran out of cash leaving people waiting.

That brought the next few years of sales forwards.... So if you are selling less here, then obviously you are having to export MORE....

Toyota have already decided to move their 2 biggest selling cars' production to Indonesia. From the end of next year the Vios and Yaris will no longer be manufactured here.... That was announced in a news report on here about 6 months ago.

The predicted spike in exports thanks to populism, made this decision for Toyota..... Thaksin thinks, PTP does.

This report is a fake confidence booster I'm afraid.

Thailand hub of fake confidence

Sent from my C1904 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Considering that there is a huge decline in domestic sales thanks to the Thaksin populist policy of the first car buyer relief scheme, that also ran out of cash leaving people waiting.

That brought the next few years of sales forwards.... So if you are selling less here, then obviously you are having to export MORE....

Toyota have already decided to move their 2 biggest selling cars' production to Indonesia. From the end of next year the Vios and Yaris will no longer be manufactured here.... That was announced in a news report on here about 6 months ago.

The predicted spike in exports thanks to populism, made this decision for Toyota..... Thaksin thinks, PTP does.

Thaivisa....home of the un

informed cynic.....

Unfortunately there is no huge slump in sakes....there was a massive surge, thsnkjs to the previoiys governments first time buyer scheme...now things are returning to normal. If yoiy want to gauge cxar ownership without

Looking at the figures, just take 5 minutes and count the number of cars you pass that are less than 6 years old and weigh that number against older vehicles. Its an easy test to do,and you will get a shock as to them proportion of recent cars on the road it Weill change by our no respective dramatically.

The home market in Thailand is the biggest in ASEAN.... It is in transition from an equipment market to a replacement market, this means that both product and the demographics are changing...however the business of making cars needs to expand continuously and the export market the natural progression for any business...regardless of what the home market is doing.

Take a look at the figuresif you can't be bothered to do the count.