Shinawatra-initiated funds under scrutiny

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Don't know about the womans fund but if what has been reported is correct it would seem the village funds have been very effective as a tool in vote gathering.

The reported threat is said to have been that if the village vote goes against a particular party then the fund will be withheld from that village.

Or a rumor is spread that if an opposition party gets in they will scrap the village fund.

Either is a powerful incentive for village heads to ensure the collective village vote goes the correct way.

No need to waste money on vote buying.

And yet they always do...lol

"The NCPO has made combating corruption, bridging disparities, keeping a cap on debt and observing financial discipline its priorities".

How good would that be for Thailand if they were able to achieve this goal ?thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The original intention of the Village Fund was to allow villagers to borrow small amounts of money (generally up to 10,000baht) to start a small local business such as selling food from a hand cart etc.

However village committees handed it oput to anyone without any checks, and whilst it has to be repaid after 1 year, it is immediately re-0applied for and is back in the hanmds of the villagers after a couple of weeks. Invariably they have to borrow the money to repay (at around 10% interest for the 2 weeks)

If the scheme is stopped (which in my opinion it should be as it serves no useful purpose), villagers will have a very hard time paying back what they owe.

• Like 2

if they continue these Path, than don't need pull up my wife sad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.png ," german politicians should move in to clean up the mess" cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

??? blink.png

Good night, was it?

On the other hand- as bad as Hitler was as a despot, a native Austrian who only became a German citizen after his party came to power, there is no doubt about that he was not a corrupt person at all.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It may have been a good idea , all funds in this country need auditing, as they are usually directed to the chosen few.

I agree, whether to a chosen few is a little circumspect, but all funds regardless of what party they where introduced by.

if they continue these Path, than don't need pull up my wife sad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.png ," german politicians should move in to clean up the mess" cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

??? blink.png

Good night, was it?

On the other hand- as bad as Hitler was as a despot, a native Austrian who only became a German citizen after his party came to power, there is no doubt about that he was not a corrupt person at all.

Give me a break.

• Like 2

The Village Fund was continued and adopted by Ahbisit government. He see value in that fund too.

Or he just did not have the power to stop it, knowing people would rise up.

Now we got someone who is not afraid of red threats and the fund can be really examined. If it is good please keep it.

I bet me and other people on the side of light love reading everyday how all the crap that Taksin did is slowly being destroyed how his power-base gets destroyed so he can never ever come back. The guy overreached.. gambled and blew it all getting his whole clan into trouble (actually the whole country) just for his amnesty.

Don't think that was the reason as the loans only reaches about 30% of all households. I think he allowed the scheme to continue because the fund have been steady and don't need any infusion of government funds. The scheme has been running well as a microcredit financing and is socially correct so why stop as it cost nothing to his government. I have strong believe that the NCPO will continue this scheme which really has won lots of praise from local and international peers.

Don't know about the womans fund but if what has been reported is correct it would seem the village funds have been very effective as a tool in vote gathering.

The reported threat is said to have been that if the village vote goes against a particular party then the fund will be withheld from that village.

Or a rumor is spread that if an opposition party gets in they will scrap the village fund.

Either is a powerful incentive for village heads to ensure the collective village vote goes the correct way.

No need to waste money on vote buying.

In the U.S., the federal government has been playing this game with the states for decades. If a state is on the wrong side of a national election, it says good-bye to certain revenue sharing "opportunities". To some degree true of state revenue flows to counties & localities as well. Only natural that the thais picked up on this well-known abuse in the west. Soon I'm sure they'll be learning the tricks to be played by national tax revenue and land management agencies...

The whole design of this program is corrupt! Just look at the lack of oversight just to begin with.

Keep it me says and alter it so that everyone including the borrower's are held accountable under contract.

It is a no brain (er) really! Shin a what's are good chess players perhaps, but they certainly are not the best!