Foreign investors expect economic recovery in Thailand: Special Report

webfact

Special Report: Foreign investors expect economic recovery in Thailand

PNECO570612001000201_12062014_112526.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Joint Foreign Chambers of Commerce in Thailand (JFCCT) have agreed that the business ambiance in Thailand has not changed significantly since the establishment of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

At a press conference on “Confidence in Thailand” at Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok, JFCCT revealed opinions of the foreign business community in Thailand on trade and investment in the country during the current situation.

The speakers included Mr. Stanley Kang, Advisor of the Board of Trade of Thailand and Chairman of JFCCT, Mr. Brian Sinclair-Thompson, Vice Chairman of JFCCT, Mrs. Vibeke Lyssand Leirvag Conselvan, President of the Thai-Norwegian Chamber of Commerce, and Mr. Yeap Swee Chuan, President of the Malaysian-Thai Chamber of Commerce.

Attending the conference were representatives from various chambers of commerce in Thailand such as those of India, Russia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, and the Republic of Korea.

Mr. Sinclair-Thompson said that any negative effect on the economy has resulted from conflicts originated years ago. However, the focus is now shifting towards recovery and it is expected that business will pick up in the months to come. This is chiefly because the Thai economy is resilient to crises and Thailand has strong fundamentals to continue to facilitate business operations. In addition, Mr. Chuan of the Malaysian-Thai Chamber of Commerce asserted that Thailand still provides a safe environment for business to continue as usual.

As for ways to regain confidence from the international community, Mr. Sinclair-Thompson suggested that Thailand must step up its efforts to invite tourists and business individuals to come and see the situation first-hand. Infrastructure development, such as that concerning airport and transportation facilities, is also needed to meet the growing demand.

Mrs. Conselvan from Norway stressed that it is essential for Thailand to encourage proper understanding of the current situation among foreigners and companies currently doing businesses in the country, as they can play a key role in communicating with prospective foreign investors.

The forum also agreed that the current development has only little impact on business dealings in Thailand, and they are looking forward to strong recovery as the situation has now been stabilized.

JFCCT also urged Thai people to come together with foreign businesses in Thailand and work as a team in pushing forward the recovery Thailand deserves.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-12 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

As a potential investor for Thailand I would be pretty scared of if a company discloses info which doesn't fancies the regime.....and as a result the childish reaction is: we are going to investigate your shareholders structure and perhaps exclude you from participations. I would focus on Malaysia, Vietnam or even Myanmar at this stage.

• Like 2

Have seen nothing so far by anyone with anything objective objective to say. Lots of blahblahblah. One that really gets me starts with "As a potential investor...". As though this is any certification of knowledge. Any dufus with a few bucks in his pocket is a "potential investor". Now is the time to do some bargain hunting for oversold Thai equities.

• Like 1

Some foreign investors will be shocked that the days of paying some kickbacks under the table are gone....

I think that may be a bit much to hope for in any country. This is Asia not Utopia!

What may surprise investors is dealing with a regime that appears to be more concerned about the needs of Thailand and it's people than their own.

If investors can make a buck some will try, but it is nothing compared to a country with a stable proven system and longterm prospects of calm and certainty, not cycles of upheaval. The winners will be other opening and competitive nations that can demonstrate that.

I would'nt invest in the current climate here when other neighbouring regional countries are giving much better signs they are moving in the right direction.

Edited by englishoak

strong fundamentals to continue to facilitate business operations.

Like forcing them to close down social media and censoring the internet? The idea that what is now a repressive regime will somehow attract FDI is just silly propaganda.

Thailand is in a downward curve, its competitiveness is being eroded by cheaper and more productive ASEAN countries and the crack down on basic freedoms by the dictatorship mean foreign investment has all but dried up. Meanwhile household debt and high inflation eats away at domestic spending at an alarming rate.

Only someone whos income is secured from abroad (like all the pensioners on here) would rejoice at this mess. Of course the mess started before the coup, but it just got a hell of a lot worse.

Edited by tullynagardy

Also today.

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's economic growth would keep tapering this year and the outlook remains uncertain due to continued political tensions, while global growth is also lacking vigour, according to the World Bank.

So which is it ?

The BBC's Jonathan Head in Bangkok says ensuring the World Cup can be watched by everyone is central to this so-called happiness campaign.

The RS broadcaster had already bought the rights to the matches and planned to allow only a third to be shown on free-to-air channels.

RS is reportedly claiming $21.5m (£13m) in compensation.

So basically the junta is demonstarting it will make arbitary decision willy nilly and interfere in the free market, Exactly why companies wont be investing here.

Furthermore they are squandering £13m to do so. Of course this is so different than the way PT squandered millions. (well in the eyes of most on here.)

The BBC's Jonathan Head in Bangkok says ensuring the World Cup can be watched by everyone is central to this so-called happiness campaign.

The RS broadcaster had already bought the rights to the matches and planned to allow only a third to be shown on free-to-air channels.

So basically the junta is demonstarting it will make arbitary decision willy nilly and interfere in the free market, Exactly why companies wont be investing here.

Furthermore they are squandering £13m to do so. Of course this is so different than the way PT squandered millions. (well in the eyes of most on here.)

There is a big difference as you would realise if you took your blinkers off for a moment..

The junta is 'squandering' money on the Thai people. PT squandered it on themselves.

Holly hell then New Zealand the most democratic, least corrupt, and the most free market country in the world is in a terrible predicament on the back of this news. The same occurs here (although not with the girly game of soccer)biggrin.png with the national sport of rugby where all All Black matches have to be shown on a free to air channel.

Edited by Roadman

Holly hell then New Zealand the most democratic, least corrupt, and the most free market country in the world is in a terrible predicament on the back of this news. The same occurs here (although not with the girly game of soccer)biggrin.png with the national sport of rugby where all All Black matches have to be shown on a free to air channel.

In NZ a dictatorship didnt overrule a binding legal contract and leave a company millions out of pocket to as part of a "happiness" campaign.

Apples and pears, but wouldnt expect any more from coup cheer leading pensioners like yourself who understanding of the situation is virtually zero thumbsup.gif

If investors can make a buck some will try, but it is nothing compared to a country with a stable proven system and longterm prospects of calm and certainty, not cycles of upheaval. The winners will be other opening and competitive nations that can demonstrate that.

I would'nt invest in the current climate here when other neighbouring regional countries are giving much better signs they are moving in the right direction.

but do you invest at all and if so much or little?

My own embassy ... Australia... Endorses business here over surrounding nations.

How do I know ? Because I am involved doing serious investing and Austrade at the embassy is assisting me

• Like 1

My own embassy ... Australia... Endorses business here over surrounding nations.

How do I know ? Because I am involved doing serious investing and Austrade at the embassy is assisting me

What i invest in and where is my own affair, I do but wouldn't here for the time being

Entirely your choice, as I said some will always be up for it and wish you the very best of luck.

Also today.

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's economic growth would keep tapering this year and the outlook remains uncertain due to continued political tensions, while global growth is also lacking vigour, according to the World Bank.

So which is it ?

Talk is cheap.

Thailand is only as good as its last sale? Start listing the new investments comming in.

There are considerable investment sitting on the sidelines waiting for some direction from the junta. I would also think the junta needs to do some work to get these investments happening.

Marc, can you expand on what you are doing. Always good to hear how things happen.

Just a bit off topic.

Roadie, I would like to see that they interchange some player' between codes. Send a team of All Blacks in place of their soccer team and show the the girly game what a real tackle looks like. Oz needed to swap some of the Socceroos with the current Kangaroos. I know I would pay to watch that.

These should be a good free to air programs?