Phuket Airport Immigration - No Welcome for Tourists

simon43

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most likely just an over zealous Immigration official wanting to show his/her authority. If the lady is a first time visitor and this is the second entry in to Thailand, she is hardly abusing the 30 day on arrival visa exemption.

Unfortunately, thinking critically is not an attribute many locals are known for :)

• Like 2

...however it doesn't mean the rule or questioning should not be the correct thing to do ?

I don't think any of the tourists had an issue with being asked these questions, but the abrupt manner in which they were asked and unwelcoming attitude of the immigration officer made them all assume that the military junta did not want foreign tourists to visit Phuket.

What happened to the 'smile' lessons that the officers attended some time back?

Soon forgotten?

Also, are these officers working to a different calendar from the rest of us? I thought 12th August was the implementation day for grilling returning tourists??

This happens when the teaching of stuff happens quickly and unprofessional , maybe the man was not informed yet about later of upcoming new rules for airplane arrival after August 12 next year!

My advice!

Every immigration stuff must have a notebook , where only Thai visa is installed, for daily news input!

But proberbly we need first all to Thai!

Immigration officials are employed at points of entry into the country in order to make sure illegals or those not genuine are trying to enter. They were only do their job. Its been a well highlighted fact that back-back VOA are being scrutinsed. She has already had 30 days, is going to meet friends in Chiang Mai in a "few Days" no doubt staying there for a period of time then what, 7 day extension at local office would suffice but she obviously has intentions of staying longer....surely, forward planning and research she should really have obtained a tourist visa and then would not have had an issue or "grilling" at the airport...it seems immigration are damed if they do or if they dont.

• Like 2

Immigration officers in Phuket are a pretty surly lot for the most part, with the occasional friendly officer that either just got a promotion or was just transferred here. They love exercising their two minutes of power, and now with the new guidelines, I can only imagine it getting worse.

• Like 2

I don't think the clampdown on visa-runs was intended to 'scare off' genuine tourists, (which she is).

The assumption from her and others in that immigration line was that the grilling was due to the military junta not wanting tourists to visit Thailand - that's certainly not the message that the junta is wanting to convey.

Perhaps they need to add some different immigration lines:

'Genuine tourists'

'Border-runner expats who can't be bothered to get a proper visa'

'Filipino/a teachers whose employer is too poor/stingy/stupid to help their employees to get the correct visa'

'VIP line for Simon43'

• Like 1

Perhaps a bit better planning on her part if she was to meet friends here after thirty days. She should have applied for a tourist visa in her home country, rather than just entering on a 30 day exempt...

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 2

Simon, but a question for you.

Was she really grilled or perhaps she exaggerated the experience?

There is nothing wrong with asking for hotel booking information and return flight information, money to spend etc.

Is it possible that some are little touchy on the subject and like to exaggerate things a little.

I get grilled in Australia every time i visit, but its hardly a grilling more like a standard procedure(perhaps random but still standard)

• Like 2

No-one has commented on my assertion about the bad 'PR' for the junta . I really don't think the General wants tourists to assume that the heavy-handed treatment that some receive is because the military don't want foreign tourists to visit Phuket.

It is time for smiles (lots of them!) from these immigration officers as they politely request to see the relevant documents.

(I was going to add a photo of a smiling immigration officer, but not surprisingly, Google didn't seem to find one.....)

Edited by simon43

No-one has commented on my assertion about the bad 'PR' for the junta . I really don't think the General wants tourists to assume that the heavy-handed treatment that some receive is because the military don't want foreign tourists to visit Phuket.

It is time for smiles (lots of them!) from these immigration officers as they politely request to see the relevant documents.

(I was going to add a photo of a smiling immigration officer, but not surprisingly, Google didn't seem to find one.....)

Not sure if there are any rules on what pictures can or cant be posted, but hey....what about this for asmileand welcomepost-126927-0-14761400-1402624548_thumb.

She did not meet the entry requirements for visa exempt entry when she came in first time, and officially was required to have a visa.

So yes, no surprise she came under scrutiny now.

A little off subject but i arrived from Europe last Sunday at HKT. The first thing i was welcomed by was the amazingly long lines coming from immigration and at one point were heading back up the escalator from the arrival port. Although i am not bothered by the long lines the tourists clearly were and lots of comments were heard as to why half the booths were closed. You could argue not enough staff but there were lots of immigration staff walking around chatting with each other.

Then there was the odd behaviour by immigration officers in trying to help people. For example a young family with 2 young children - the officer let the mother and 2 children enter the Thai only lane and left the father at the back of the cue. He finally met up with his wife one hour later. It really didnt help them as the mother was now left with all their luggage and 2 toddlers overly tired on the other side. This happened lots of times.

In relation to the manner of officers i found them all smiling and willing to try help people. Although my officer was a trainee and looked very confused trying to process my re-entry permit. It took him nearly ten minutes to do so.

Immigration officers in Phuket are a pretty surly lot for the most part, with the occasional friendly officer that either just got a promotion or was just transferred here. They love exercising their two minutes of power, and now with the new guidelines, I can only imagine it getting worse.

I have witnessed this surly behavior by immigration officials on a number of occasions and it really is pathetic.

A small group of young Japanese males waited in the queue and when the first one got to the desk he obviously hadn't completed the form correctly so the official gesticulated madly at him to go away, no explanation given. The guy turned to others in the group and they had no idea what to do, so another approached and was also given short shrift. He then angrily shooed them away and they had no idea what to do.

I watched a young French lady also get shooed away all because of a signature, so she duly stepped back a little and signed the form and reapproached the official, who would not have anything to do with her, motioning her angrily to the back of the very long queue.

It also happened to me when the official wanted to see my arrival/dep card when I was going overseas and barked a question at me. I told her it was in the passport, so she flicked through it and said it wasn't, telling me I was wrong and in no uncertain terms, very rude in fact. So I took the passport back and opened it up at the page where it had been previously stapled by immigration, and she snatched it back, growled at me and let me through.

These officials are an embarrassment to Thailand and the human race in general.

• Like 1

Perhaps a bit better planning on her part if she was to meet friends here after thirty days. She should have applied for a tourist visa in her home country, rather than just entering on a 30 day exempt...

Not all of us plan our lives.Maybe her friends just happened to book their hols after she had left.Who knows?

I find most of the immigration staff quite surly and unhelpful especially at the airports.

They all look like they have a stick up their

Not all of us plan our lives.Maybe her friends just happened to book their hols after she had left.Who knows?

I find most of the immigration staff quite surly and unhelpful especially at the airports.

They all look like they have a stick up their

While I agree that some make better plans or a plan at all, while others don't. But as it was announced a while ago there would be a crackdown on people doing visa runs, one may have to plan a bit better than before they announced the crackdown. I entered Thailand on Tuesday at the BKK airport. I said "sawadee crop" to the immigration officer and he gave me a smile and can I help you? He then looked over my passport and said for future reference to put the number of my reentry permit in the space for visa number, not my extension of stay number. Took my photo, stamped my passport and I was done. I thanked him, he said you're welcome. I guess I'll see how "surely" they are when I go for my yearly extension of my visa next week. I've never had a problem with the immigration officers at the Phuket office before, I don't know why, maybe because I've done it for years and have all my paperwork in order before I go in...

• Like 1

Don't blame the tourists. The visa runs are Thailands own prescription because they allow 14 and 30 days entries without a proper Visa and both the Government and Immigration know very well what regulation Immigration need to stop what they see as and call undesirable visitors.

• Like 1

Don't blame the tourists. The visa runs are Thailands own prescription because they allow 14 and 30 days entries without a proper Visa and both the Government and Immigration know very well what regulation Immigration need to stop what they see as and call undesirable visitors.

Why not? She was lucky to be allowed to enter the first time, she could easily have been refused. She did notmeet the visa exempt entry requirements.

Is it just possible for the first time in the history of Immigration...the officers are "actually" doing their job and not just rubber stamping the passport? Seems like that to me.

• Like 2

Why not? She was lucky to be allowed to enter the first time, she could easily have been refused. She did notmeet the visa exempt entry requirements.

Isn't England one of the countries with visa exempt entry?

Sure, but on her first visa free entry she should have shown a ticket out of the country within 30 days.

Sure, but on her first visa free entry she should have shown a ticket out of the country within 30 days.

Simon did say "On her return late this afternoon, she (and others in the immigration line) were 'grilled' by the immigration officer. She had to show her hotel booking, ticket out of the country etc." so I have to assume she did indeed have a return ticket when she flew out of England to Thailand, else she would not have been allowed to board the flight to Thailand.