What is the pecking order in thai society? Just for fun nothing serious

ultimate weapon

Thais do have a pecking order like respecting the elders, elders in the family, people in position (not necessarily a good trait). But soon this pecking order will vanish when they get more westernizedcoffee1.gif

Wishfull thinking young man......

Wishful thinking in which aspect? It's not wishful thinking, it's what it's becoming.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thais do have a pecking order like respecting the elders, elders in the family, people in position (not necessarily a good trait). But soon this pecking order will vanish when they get more westernizedcoffee1.gif

Wishful thinking in which aspect? It's not wishful thinking, it's what it's becoming.

Soon.....and......more westernized.....

Generations generations it will take....if it ever will become like you think. Living without hope, if you do ofcourse, is not living.

Generations generations it will take....if it ever will become like you think. Living without hope, if you do ofcourse, is not living.

"Soon.....and......more westernized....."

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

However, judging from this (from your comment): "Living without hope, if you do ofcourse, is not living.", it seems you have a high regard of what the West is and is becoming and a very low, and even insulting, opinion of the Asian communities! If I have interpreted you wrongly, I apologize apriori! I left the West because I see it deterioting both socially and morally where individual freedom and liberty are their vitamins to survive and proud of in an environment with no happiness and , yes, no pecking order! The divorce rate is 50% and women screw around like men!

Edited by muchogra
  • Like 2

"Soon.....and......more westernized....."

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

However, judging from this (from your comment): "Living without hope, if you do ofcourse, is not living.", it seems you have a high regard of what the West is and is becoming and a very low, and even insulting, opinion of the Asian communities! If I have interpreted you wrongly, I apologize apriori! I left the West because I see it deterioting both socially and morally where individual freedom and liberty are their vitamins to survive and proud of in an environment with no happiness and , yes, no pecking order! The divorce rate is 50% and women screw around like men!

I guess we both understood each other not correct. Well at least i read your orginal comment on the wrong way.

A pecking order is always present in any society. So even in the West. My personal take is that morality is more a western concept than an eastern. Christianity being the resson for it, maybe...dunno for sure. Here in thailand people in general life a life a conformity, apart from places like Pattaya, Phuket etc, so, based on my experiences their individual behaviour is more restricted than in the West. Thsis will remain Thais and for me they can stay that way.....if i not had children.

"...morality is more a western concept than an eastern."

Really?

Again, you seem to put yourself in a moral high ground just because you are from the West! I advise you to re-examine what has been going on in the West. To me, it's decaying where normal people are losing ground and traditional values are disappearing. Don't use your yardstick from a few decades ago and then judge the East!

• Like 1

"...morality is more a western concept than an eastern."

Really?

Again, you seem to put yourself in a moral high ground just because you are from the West! I advise you to re-examine what has been going on in the West. To me, it's decaying where normal people are losing ground and traditional values are disappearing. Don't use your yardstick from a few decades ago and then judge the East!

Not because i am from the West. Maybe it is because i am who i am. Not that i am really proud of myself though, but in certain aspects of life i, naively maybe, live on the moral high ground. Brings me nothing though. Only ease of mind and heart.

The OP appears to have forgotten Buddhist monks in his post. They might not look important from his barstool but they occupy a place of high privilege in Thai society... coffee1.gif

I have no idea why, always the ultimate con! The sad sad thing is it works, priests, monks, nuns, popes blah blah blah

Farangs are judged on who they are married to. Any poor girl or man married to an old farang will always been seen as a hooker whether she or he is or not. Any man or woman with a hooker will always be seen as the lowest of the low. They are seen by Thai men as to be used for the purpose and that's it, and pretty much all Thai women hate them.

As previously posted money talks and buys your education in this country and farangs are judged on how much their partners family have.

As for teachers being held in high regard , maybe in the boonies, but in industrial Thailand they are nobodies. Money talks.

Speaking of hooker is there a definition in thai society on that since i understand many normal thai ladies in normal professions like models, teachers do go overseas and have sex for money but i don't think they are called hookers. Are they like massage palor girls, ago ago girls?

Serious question, no smart ass responses

I know of two sisters who were born in udon thani to farming parents

both are very pale, tall and skinny and attractive

Both went to university

One now works in an office job,

The other did some business and did quite well and now works In a office

Both now live in bkk

Both now roam the hiso scene, with their cars, jewerely, branded stuff, lubes etc etc

From a thai perspective , is your class based on where you are born? Or the circles you move around in?

Both went to university

Both now live in bkk

Both now roam the hiso scene, with their cars, jewerely, branded stuff, lubes etc etc

From a thai perspective , is your class based on where you are born? Or the circles you move around in?

My experience, where and how one was raised.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think more discussion would have started if you ranked nationalities

Eg, USA, uk, European, Australian, Japanese, Korean, rest of Asia, Indian, middle eastern, African

Anyone game to rank?

Brittania still rules ?

Apparently not Scotland facepalm.gif

Both went to university

Both now live in bkk

Ethnic background and skin color.

Just because they move in high circles, doesn't mean everyone else isn't looking down on them.

They also won't be permitted to marry into the high circles, but might be used as ......

• Like 1

You cannot put farang into a list of Thai society full stop.

Skin colour is sometimes deceptive. I had a brief fling once with a girl who had relatively dark skin. We only did manage once to get out in public together due to her being dropped off/picked up at the school I worked at by a driver/bodyguard. Her father was Minister of Defense.

I have a friend who has an Isarn look who is hi so - grandfather was the King of laos - where would she fit in in your list?

I have another friend with dark skin whose father is a billionaire - owns many companies including Tipco.

The OP appears to have forgotten Buddhist monks in his post. They might not look important from his barstool but they occupy a place of high privilege in Thai society... coffee1.gif

In the west, we call people that predict winning lottery numbers and promise "a happy live" for a fee of 5000 Bht charlatans or simply "white collar criminals".

The easiest victims are found among the most uneducated and poorest of the Thai population.

Cheers.

That reminds me our Temple currently has a charity lottery. PM me your credit card numbers with exp. date. The lucky number drawn gets a 5M baht prize.

Money talks...

Yup that's why the rich ones are listed up higher. It's the same in almost every country in the world. I don't you will see a country where a vagabond is ranked higher than a rich man.

Well Well;;We all better start packing and go home;;;;if they let us back in;;;;; 55,55,55

Both went to university

Both now live in bkk

Just as in the West,I think truly classy people (Thais) see through nuveau riche social climbers. At some point in time their humble backgrounds always show through with a word or an accent, manners etc.

• Like 2

Whoever has the best show.i drove an old pickup truck the last 3 years.

Little respect from thai drivers. Decided to buy a 1 million baht car. I am getting a lot more respect now. Need to say more?

Nationalities list at U.S. first and Canada not mentioned. LOL. Must be because yanks are so embarrassed to have to wear Canadian flags on their collars and backpack to get accepted in most European countries. If a Canadian is asked if he is an American the fight is on.

Edited by poweratradio

I think more discussion would have started if you ranked nationalities

Eg, USA, uk, European, Australian, Japanese, Korean, rest of Asia, Indian, middle eastern, African

Anyone game to rank?

Brittania still rules ?

only in their own minds

• Like 1