Thailand still very low in English language skills

webfact

Thailand still very low in English language skills
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The average TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score in Thailand last year was among the three lowest for Asean countries, Enconcept E-Academy executive Apitha Wonlopsiri said yesterday.

He said the country's average score was 76 points (it was 74 points last year), but was still among the bottom three, which included Cambodia (69) and Laos (68).

Singapore topped the list with 98 points followed by Malaysia and Philippines (89), Indonesia (82), Myanmar (79) and Vietnam (78).

Apitha called on Thai students to urgently improve their English language skills.

He said the main reasons for the low score included the emphasis on translating English, students lacking clear objectives, a fixed teaching pattern and a fear of failure among students. As a result, he said the academy had introduced the "TOEFL X-CHANGE" tablet, which had eight language-learning applications to allow children to practice English anytime, anywhere.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-13

• Like 2

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The average TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score in Thailand last year was among the three lowest for Asean countries, Enconcept E-Academy executive Apitha Wonlopsiri said yesterday"

And let me guess, your programme is the panacea to all these problems? No doubt at a reasonable price as well.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

I have just finished teaching an intensive English conversation course to medical students.

It was a 14 day course with no tests whatsoever. Just pure conversation, fun and games.

The students wrote in their evaluations that "they learnt more in the last 14 days, without the pressure of grades, than in the whole semester.

What I mean to say is that the report is correct in many aspects. Thai students have this fear of getting low grades and this probably influences their confidence and learning abilities.

On a side note...They are all potential surgeons but I hope I never have to be operated on by one of them. Even though the course was fun and games the students cheated a lot by texting messages to each other. If they cheat in fun activities what do they do in their academic studies?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe the texting was because they were having fun and were supporting each other in their learning.

• Like 2

I have just finished teaching an intensive English conversation course to medical students.

It was a 14 day course with no tests whatsoever. Just pure conversation, fun and games.

The students wrote in their evaluations that "they learnt more in the last 14 days, without the pressure of grades, than in the whole semester.

What I mean to say is that the report is correct in many aspects. Thai students have this fear of getting low grades and this probably influences their confidence and learning abilities.

On a side note...They are all potential surgeons but I hope I never have to be operated on by one of them. Even though the course was fun and games the students cheated a lot by texting messages to each other. If they cheat in fun activities what do they do in their academic studies?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Unfortunately for the country rather than actual students the whole system is flawed from the outset.

Cheating isn't really seen as wrong. Remember the incident at Ramkamheng Uni with Mr. Ts son and the comments of the deputy head who said cheating was not a serious matter.

Students don't really have to fear failure as for many and varied reasons not many do unless an outcast and a real nonentity.

Students get passes and qualifications they didn't earn or don't deserve and the country gets landed with all these ' qualified ' people.

The deputy head of Ramkhamhaeng Uni. said cheating is not a serious matter and now it's OK for Thai students to cheat.

Bill Clinton said BJs weren't sex so now very many high school students in the US give oral sex thinking it is not 'real' sex.

It begins with the leadership.

Ignoring the standards of my posts here, which are generally off-the-cuff, I professionally proofread/edit Master's and PhDs for various universities, including Chula and Mahidol, etc. You wouldn't believe the amount of copying from each other, and plagiarism which occurs at even PhD level... and yes, I'm deadly serious.

Only last week, I received a PhD paper from Assumption and I ran a turnit-in scan. It came back with 38% copied and plagiarised from the Internet !!!

That's the level we are looking at with regards to cheating. Yet, and despite that, all students PASS, with a little backhander to their advisors...... whistling.gif

During my sojourn at a rural university an Australian colleague showed me an essay assignment from a student that had been copied verbatim from a text book and that included references to points that would be discussed in Chapter 3, 6 and so on.

The student concerned had simple copied every word without bothering to exercise care over what he was writing.

• Like 2

No, the primary reason for poor English skills is an aversion to anything foreign. There is a political and cultural fear that English language skills would wash away Thainess. When the government creates an atmosphere of English language immersion this will be eliminated. But, this is Thailand, and that will never happen.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nonsense. You ever watch Thai TV? Kpop? But right about the government not wanting English spoken. With English comes ability to know the truth. Truth is not big in Thailand right now.

• Like 2

The deputy head of Ramkhamhaeng Uni. said cheating is not a serious matter and now it's OK for Thai students to cheat.

Bill Clinton said BJs weren't sex so now very many high school students in the US give oral sex thinking it is not 'real' sex.

It begins with the leadership.

Ignoring the standards of my posts here, which are generally off-the-cuff, I professionally proofread/edit Master's and PhDs for various universities, including Chula and Mahidol, etc. You wouldn't believe the amount of copying from each other, and plagiarism which occurs at even PhD level... and yes, I'm deadly serious.

Only last week, I received a PhD paper from Assumption and I ran a turnit-in scan. It came back with 38% copied and plagiarised from the Internet !!!

That's the level we are looking at with regards to cheating. Yet, and despite that, all students PASS, with a little backhander to their advisors...... whistling.gif

During my sojourn at a rural university an Australian colleague showed me an essay assignment from a student that had been copied verbatim from a text book and that included references to points that would be discussed in Chapter 3, 6 and so on.

The student concerned had simple copied every word without bothering to exercise care over what he was writing.

Quite believable! However, I must make the observation that it's not all like I observed. 100% of the papers I receive from King Monkut's University, especially the scientific ones, are genuine hard work, original and quite unique and way ahead in latest scientific developments. The same can't be said for Chulalongkorn, however!!

Years back the other newspaper carried a report about privilege etc in education and it was suggested that around 25 % of students at Chula hadn't earned their place. i have no idea how the figure was arrived at but can well believe it.

The main problem is the students do not have a chance to use the language. They are afraid to speak and embarrass themselves. I have a Vietnamese friend who is good with chatting in English. His speaking and listening skills were poor. I made him read the news out loud and corrected his pronunciation along with it. It took us a while. Once he gained his confidence, he was able to interact with other people.

• Like 2

So - the main reason Thailand has bad English skills is because when they teach English they have an example of how to pronounce the word using "aksorn thai" <Thai language removed>(Thai characters)

As the Thai abugida and English Alphabet don't share many different sounds - this leads to Thai people omitting and changing the pronunciation of words in many many cases.

Remove that from all of their text books - teach them how to learn using the English Alphabet and also have a shared - common and FORCED transliteration of Thai to English and I guarantee you their English skills will increase greatly!

Edited by metisdead
Thai language edited out of post. This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language, except in the Thai language forum where Thai language is allowed.
  • Like 1

It's not the students' fault, Apitha, it's the system's fault, and the culture's fault. Fix those - ha! - and the students will learn. So forget about it. Thais will always be hopeless at English. Always. Forever.

• Like 1