US: Priest killed, another injured in Arizona shooting

webfact

Priest killed, another injured in US shooting

PHOENIX: -- Police were hunting Thursday a gunman or gunmen who killed one priest and injured another at a Catholic church in Arizona.

The priest who survived was able to give the last rites to his fatally-hit colleague before he died, police told reporters after the mystery attack Wednesday night in Phoenix, reports AFP.

An intruder or intruders broke into the Mother of Mercy church around 9:30 pm Wednesday. A 911 emergency call for burglary was made by Father Joseph Terra, as he comforted his dying colleague, Father Kenneth Walker.

Phoenix police chief Daniel Garcia said investigators had some "strong physical evidence," but no eyewitness accounts and no knowledge of how many intruders were involved.

Full story: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_06_13/Priest-killed-another-injured-in-US-shooting-0997/

vor.jpg
-- Voice of Russia 2014-06-13

Phoenix Police Chief, "It was called in as a burglary, but I want to be careful to label anything."

Catholic church....priests...possible revenge shooting for prior abuse?

Its a sad day when a possibility like this must even be considered.

• Like 1

The priest that died was a young man. Not had been in the priesthood longer than 2 or 3 years. So, he did not "learn" from elder priests yet.whistling.gif This is a sad tragedy, in a torn-down neighborhood. sad.png

I appreciate you your following up with new details. It sounds like he was just another innocent victim to gun violence.

They are not terrorists attacks, so why would anyone count them as being so?

As we don't yet know the motivation of the shooter(s) we can not conclusively determine whether it was or wasn't Domestic Terrorism; however, the shooting of the 2 police officers in Las Vegas quite possibly fits the description at FBI.gov:

"Domestic terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;

Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and

Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.

*Deleted post edited out*

This is cartel country. Cartels have been known to take priest out from time to time. The reason is to terrorize or instill fear. Nothing to do with politics. Everything to do with intimidation or show of power.

That being said, I have no clue and won't try to speculate why this happened, especially in such a manner that may unfairly demonize two individuals that may have been wonderful people and victims of violent crimes.

the other possibility is a shooting event done to bolster support towards ending the 2nd amendment

Yes I read that, all the shootings were being organized by left wing loons and Obama who want to take their guns away.

Surely the two of you jest?

Sigh.........