POLL: What is your spending as an expat?

ronthai

How much do you LIVE on in Thailand as a SINGLE person?  

523 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Youre gonna call BS but I am in the "my Wife is rich and pays for everything" BUT Isnt a Ladyboy.....well not last time I checked????

She wasnt rich when I arrived but I helped her get that way through her own endeavours.

speaking of spending , any one tell me what 2 fillings and deep clean with a BKK dentist would cost, any recommendations would be a great help.

Fillings start at 400 baht, depending on the size and materials used.

If you get the dentist to do the fillings the clean will be done for free.

Directly opposite Big C in On Nut are two dentists who offer these prices.

A clean is about 200 baht.

thank you will have a look.

"Smile" dentist in Seacon square, speaks English nice bloke, dont go to one of those franchise places though.

They (Smile) are right next to the ice rink in Seacon

speaking of spending , any one tell me what 2 fillings and deep clean with a BKK dentist would cost, any recommendations would be a great help.

Fillings start at 400 baht, depending on the size and materials used.

If you get the dentist to do the fillings the clean will be done for free.

Directly opposite Big C in On Nut are two dentists who offer these prices.

A clean is about 200 baht.

thank you will have a look.

"Smile" dentist in Seacon square, speaks English nice bloke, dont go to one of those franchise places though.

They (Smile) are right next to the ice rink in Seacon

My life in Pattaya over 2 mths cost me around 4-5K (bht)/month (I was testing myself for future long time staying (not cooking for myself because there was no facilities.

Now I am at Rangsit (BKK) living with g/f studying Thai language and my spendings are 3-3.5 K/mths but cooking for us. Yes i pay extras ;cable tv, Internet, and school travel and having occasionally some alcohol and cigarettes.

This is absolutely useless without stating whether the voter has employment or not. And then, whether housing, transport is paid by employer or not. My boss had housing allowance that exceeded my monthly spending budget and was close to half my salary. I know a man with family (3 boys over 10) who got almost 200k Euros (!) annually for house, school fees and transport. And then, he got a salary, too. So, how much does one spend as an expat?

To be clear, for me an expat is defined as a person employed by an overseas company (main contract there), sent to work in Thailand for a limited period. Everyone else is a retiree, a migrant, a resident, a long term tourist or plainly a foreigner, perhaps seeking a job or just drifting.

That said, in my golden years (history now) I lived for a decade off 100k Baht in a small, modern apartment building near Sathorn and that much (or little) was more than I needed from 1995-2005. I guess it's a bit more now, but certainly not much. I'd say 60-80k would still make for a comfortable life in Bangkok. No need for envy, my savings got crushed during the crisis and I'm in Korea now, where I spend a lot more for a lot less.

Looking forward to see anything meaningful from a poll that mixes Isaan retirees with Silom money sharks in their 20s :-P

• Like 1

The day I don't do the bar scene and drink with Thais, I'm out.

Edit to add Im not an expat. Still only 39.

Being an expat has age conditions attached ?

Maybe after reading Thai Visa for awhile he assumed the meaning of "expat" to be someone who is old and complains ceaselessly ... or possibly he's an English teacher.

Sometime those of you who claim to live on Baht 20,000 a month or less need to break down your budget for those of us who are amazed at your skill. I'm not rich and certainly don't pursue an extravagant lifestyle, but just can't imagine managing that ... although there are times when I walk along the beach in Pattaya before 8:00 in the morning that I see some farang who have obviously slept there. Is that one of the budgetary secrets?

Edited by Suradit69

Why does this only go up to 100k? I know very few people spending under 150k and most are in the 200k + range

That's BS if i ever heard it.

Not really, 150k is 3,000 pounds not a massive sum to spend to be honest.

150K is on the button for me, although 17K a month of that is paid from a UK bank directly to Bupa UK.

7sWKnmx.jpg

Here's my vision of a basic 'cost of living' budget that, IMO, should be more than acceptable for most single folks in Thailand. It should be comfortable, if not extravagant. It doesn't take into account any discretionary spending (beer, companionship, etc.)...but you won't die living on this budget. (The amount shown for health insurance is undoubtedly not the cheapest option available, ymmv)

Edit: "Gas & Water" should be "Electric & Water"

post-184833-0-14351600-1402713477_thumb.

Edited by MrGraz
  • Like 1

My life in Pattaya over 2 mths cost me around 4-5K (bht)/month (I was testing myself for future long time staying (not cooking for myself because there was no facilities.

Now I am at Rangsit (BKK) living with g/f studying Thai language and my spendings are 3-3.5 K/mths but cooking for us. Yes i pay extras ;cable tv, Internet, and school travel and having occasionally some alcohol and cigarettes.

do you know that k is one thousand and not 10 thousand as you seem to think

obviously you do not live on 3.5k per month and feed you girlfriend.

i assume you are thai as thai people always mix up numbers

I bemoan the loss of the Dude .. he's so good at these Poll things

You're talking about the legendary JT. What happened to him?

Was he sent to the great archive in the sky? I hope not. I always thought he was quite good. At least he wasn't one of those sicko jealous guys.

Legendary???

Let me tell you no one becomes a legend from forums.

The day I don't do the bar scene and drink with Thais, I'm out.

Edit to add Im not an expat. Still only 39.

Being an expat has age conditions attached ?

There is no set definition and usage varies with context, for example the same person may be seen as an "expatriate" by their home country and a "migrant worker" where they work. Retirement abroad, in contrast, usually makes one an "expatriate".

Retirement usually means a little older than 39.

We all maintain different life styles. Who cares who spends what. OP looks like you have too much time on your hands.

Yet you still read the post, and replied to it.

• Like 1

Was he sent to the great archive in the sky? I hope not. I always thought he was quite good. At least he wasn't one of those sicko jealous guys.

Obviously not, but I'm sure if you go to the Pattaya forum, you will find him there. There is also that other forum, you know the one.

Obviously not, but I'm sure if you go to the Pattaya forum, you will find him there. There is also that other forum, you know the one.

Not anymore ... rolleyes.gif

2 posts in 3 weeks.

I genuinely hope he's in stout health.

Or maybe he did follow his own advice and move back to the USA ... he was asking about that in the Visa Forum.

Just a rumour, but there maybe a Son (or two) of Jingthing floating around the Forum.

Sadly ... it's just a rumour.

When I was single...

50,000 baht/month - Rent

3,000 baht/month - Bills electricity etc

1,000 baht/month - Phone bill

15,000 baht/month - Meals out with friends etc (2-3 times per week)

25,000 baht/month - Going out / drinks (3 times a week, approx 2000 baht per night)

15,000 baht/month - Golf

4,000 baht/month - Petrol

2,000 baht/month - Taxis

5,000 baht/month - Grocery shopping etc...

4,000 baht/month - Part time maid.

Av Monthly costs: Approx 125,000 baht per month....

Extras

- Car (Owned)

- Shopping

- Holidays weekend breaks etc

- Regular flights home to visit family / friends

• Like 1

I think you can live decent ( Thai style ) 20 to 24,000B a month. This is a Thai persons earnings for: Executive Secretary private company or Mid level government official.

Tried it for a month included: Housing, AC - electric - 100 channel TV 24/7, 2 meals a day, 1 bottle of coke-a-cola. smokes, scooter rental and petro, some junk food and some snacks. 19000B and small change: had allowed 24,000B

I think you can live decent ( Thai style ) 20 to 24,000B a month. This is a Thai persons earnings for: Executive Secretary private company or Mid level government official.

Tried it for a month included: Housing, AC - electric - 100 channel TV 24/7, 2 meals a day, 1 bottle of coke-a-cola. smokes, scooter rental and petro, some junk food and some snacks. 19000B and small change: had allowed 24,000B

Tell me more about the housing please.