Crackdown on taxis was 'good in parts' - Phuket's Mr Big

webfact

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is the going rate now if you want a taxi to drive you 2 kms ?

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't know, but it's 10 baht in Pattaya.

No it isn't, you won't find a taxi to take you anywhere for 10 baht. A baht bus would though but that is a lot different from a taxi.

A time of harmony? Sorry Mr. BIG, there is no escape for those who have almost collapsed Phuket tourism and those who give Phuket such a bad name because of their endless and dishonest greed.

I admire the way you try to escape your faith and bad Karma; you had long arms by being a member of the Police oversight committee but everyone knows that Pisona means "Piss on Et☆" and is the Phuket translation of Maffia.

☆ in Thai "Et" is less than a human. It also represents well the way most Phuket taxi's have treated the tourists

Crackdown was 'good in parts' - Phuket's Mr Big

Suthicha Sirirat

1402642907_1-org.jpg

Prap Keesin: 'I wasnt surprised that it happened. If it hadnt happened now it would have happened sometime in the future.'

PHUKET: -- Preechawut Prap Keesin, one of Patongs leading businessmen and a prime figure in the towns hurly-burly transport structure, has spoken about the recent crackdown on taxis by police and the Royal Thai Army.

Mr Prap, who has on occasion been referred to as Mr Big, is the chairman of the Pisona group, which includes limo services and hotels, is President of the Patong Taxi Federation and a member of the Kathu Police Oversight Committee.

He is also a person of interest in the current police investigation masterminded by Pol Maj Gen Paween Poongsirin, Commander of the General Staff Division, Provincial Police Region 8.

In an exclusive interview with Phuket News correspondent Suthicha Sirirat, Mr Prap said that he had reservations about the way that the crackdown on mafia taxi activity had been carried out.

I wasnt surprised that it happened, he said. If it hadnt happened now it would have happened sometime in the future.

I agree with the arrests of taxi drivers who have been behaving badly and committing crimes against tourists. They should all be arrested, including groups that have always refused to cooperate with officials.

But he said he felt the way it was carried out was possibly too strong. The action was like the tsunami there was no escape. This time should be a time for harmony.

He pointed out that there are many good taxi drivers, and wondered what they would do now tto earn a living.

The officials have to answer to local people if taxi drivers do not have jobs, what are they going to do for a living? Its not as if they can go back to the family farm; Phuket is a tourist province, not an agricultural one.

He said that multiple solutions must be applied to the problem, and that even those drivers who were arrested should get a second chance.

The drivers who were arrested have been told they may not go back to their place of work. So how do they make a living? Now that they have been arrested and their salas knocked down, they have no work.

Equally, he agreed that standards must improve. Those who have done something wrong must reform themselves and cooperate with the government. Drivers must be of high standard with taxi licenses, and must be trained in good behaviour, and taxi queues must be well managed.

The key, he said, is cooperation and communication. Everyone should help each other this is the basis of society. And everyone must obey the rules. Phuket is a tourism province, and should keep improving its services.

Communication is key, particularly with hotels to ensure that everyone is happy.

He made a plea for hotels and the government to set aside areas for taxis. Some people support the action [against the taxi drivers], while others do not. The taxis want to ask for humanity from the government and from hotels, to share the area where they can make a living. They have a right to do that.

If they are simply regarded as mafia, the problem will never be solved. Taxi drivers should be given the chance to improve themselves. If they dont, then yes, the law should apply.

He also made a plea for taxi services to be a local monopoly. The taxi business should be for local people alone, and the income should go to local Phuket people.

Asked whether the blitz against taxis had solved the problem of unlicensed black plate taxis, he said, Impossible. But the numbers will gradually decrease over time.

Government should try to control the masses rather than individuals, he said, but this will take time and can only be achieved though persuasion, not coercion.

But, he added, The action of the police was not pointless. It was valuable. It will have useful outcomes for sure. It will lead to national solutions and will improve the countrys tourism image.

Mr Praps relationship with the authorities has long been ambiguous.

In August last year he was named by the DSI as one of the influential people they proposed to investigate.

Yet he and his father, former Patong Mayor Pian Keesin (also fingered by the DSI), were instrumental in ensuring that the bus service from the airport was allowed to pick up passengers from the town without opposition from local taxi and tuk-tuk drivers.

He himself said, I have cooperated with officials for 10 years to try to address the problem of black-plate taxis. This had had some positive results, with some problems solved.

In March this year he visited the leaders of the tuk-tuk mob that blocked roads in Patong and declared that he thought it was a bad idea and tried unsuccessfully to persuade the leaders to back down.

Since the Army took power, the leaders of the mob have been arrested.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/crackdown-was-good-in-parts-phukets-mr-big-46850.php

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2014-06-13

Prap Keesin, you make me sick. I hope the army throws you in prison forever.

I haven't heard such rubbish for quite a long time (yesterday). He talks about the crackdown being too strong but he doesn't mention the stabbings and fights between taxi drivers and tour operators and also tourist being too strong. I like to see him back on the farm!

Edited by Seashore

TerryP your comments arrest them is typical over reaction, he has quoted a number of points that should have been listened to by the Police him and his Father could have been usefull to the police. We all know Thai people have been living this way for so long and it takes time for them to accept new ways, he made a point of good taxi guys have been made to suffer.

He is right in a way they all deserve a second chance, with the well known phrase "Right you guys, these are now the rules, So do you want to do it the easy way or the hard way, up to you."

Taking their living away and the way they have been doing things for many years will make them more bitter.

"He made a plea for hotels and the government to set aside areas for taxis. “Some people support the action [against the taxi drivers], while others do not. The taxis want to ask for humanity from the government and from hotels, to share the area where they can make a living. They have a right to do that.”

Just as the hotel owners had rights too that the taxi mafia ignored, perhaps now they know what it feels like.... humanity is something the taxi drivers should have had but didnt, why should others whose lives they have been making hell forgive and allow them near their establishments... You reap as you sow...... Karma coming back on them :)

The taxi mafia have damaged the reputation of the whole island and they want people to treat them like they were human ? try treating your customers as that, not just atm's to steal from.

If they want sympathy tell them to look in the dictionary between sh*t and syphillis

• Like 1

"He made a plea for hotels and the government to set aside areas for taxis. “Some people support the action [against the taxi drivers], while others do not. The taxis want to ask for humanity from the government and from hotels, to share the area where they can make a living. They have a right to do that.”

Just as the hotel owners had rights too that the taxi mafia ignored, perhaps now they know what it feels like.... humanity is something the taxi drivers should have had but didnt, why should others whose lives they have been making hell forgive and allow them near their establishments... You reap as you sow...... Karma coming back on them :)

The taxi mafia have damaged the reputation of the whole island and they want people to treat them like they were human ? try treating your customers as that, not just atm's to steal from.

If they want sympathy tell them to look in the dictionary between sh*t and syphillis

Quoting K. Prap: . “The taxi business should be for local people alone, and the income should go to local Phuket people.” But what makes somebody a local Phuket person? Being a Phuket native, or being on a Phuket house registration book (tabbian ban)?

If we follow his logic , no person should be able to go up to Bangkok and work , only Bangkok locals.

He doesnt seem to get it that "Monopolies'' are Over and that they have been at the root of the problem all along.

The local monopolies have been the justification for the high 2 way fares ..."You must pay me to come back to Patong , I cannot pick up fare in Karon!"... havent they?

Theyve been the reason the airport bus , hell ANY bus or songthaew , CANNOT deliver to Kata-Karon!

Is Thailand ONE nation , or a series of city states?

Can a Phuket local go and work in Surat Thani or Pattaya or what?

Get over it Prap , you lost ( twice) and without warning , just as hundreds of taxi riders have in Patong , every day for years.

BTW , has Prap still got his own little monopoly going wherein any hotel of substance is 'required' to have a Pisona desk on its premises?

he and his father should be in prison......corrupt parasites

Yes, what does it mean when a <removed> like him is on the police oversight committee? Is that not alone an admission of guilt? Is that not a sign that the system is completely broken? He feels compassion for the taxi drivers who have been extorting money from tourists for a decade or two, and have been left untouched by one impotent administration after the other. My heart bleeds for these vermin. What are they going to do now? Maybe get a real job? May I suggest a Siberian salt mine? Or collecting tolls on the Bangkok highways? Or maybe working in the sewers? They do need cleaning up. How appropriate would it be to ask the Phuket taxi rats to clean up the sewers?

IF the junta is serious about cleaning up the taxi mafia a good start would be to prosecute the men who enable the taxi mafia. They know who they are and they know they have made massive amounts of money for their pockets while damaging the tourist numbers to Phuket...not to mention terrorizing both locals and tourists who dare to question them.

Throw the bunch of them in jail. Allow a songtaew system in place at fares comparable to other Thai cities.

Have a/c point to point taxi service available at the same METER rates as Bangkok. Have the military PROTECT the baht buses and the metered taxis from any remaining mafia types.

Turn Phuket into a PLEASANT place where one doesn't have to fear for his safety to get from point a to point b or be charged an exhoribitant fee most of which goes to some Mr. Big who sits in his house and counts the money.

It's really not rocket science...and perhaps the junta who certainly likes to claim the prior govts were corrupt

and did nothing have an excellent chance to show with actions that they are different.

They arrested the Mayor of Karon, so that's a start

IF the junta is serious about cleaning up the taxi mafia a good start would be to prosecute the men who enable the taxi mafia. They know who they are and they know they have made massive amounts of money for their pockets while damaging the tourist numbers to Phuket...not to mention terrorizing both locals and tourists who dare to question them.

Throw the bunch of them in jail. Allow a songtaew system in place at fares comparable to other Thai cities.

Have a/c point to point taxi service available at the same METER rates as Bangkok. Have the military PROTECT the baht buses and the metered taxis from any remaining mafia types.

Turn Phuket into a PLEASANT place where one doesn't have to fear for his safety to get from point a to point b or be charged an exhoribitant fee most of which goes to some Mr. Big who sits in his house and counts the money.

It's really not rocket science...and perhaps the junta who certainly likes to claim the prior govts were corrupt

and did nothing have an excellent chance to show with actions that they are different.

They arrested the Mayor of Karon, so that's a start

Yes they did, but he was one of the very few allowed bail due to his 'ill health' - just the usual : money talks and criminals walk.

So what is the going rate now if you want a taxi to drive you 2 kms ?

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't know, but it's 10 baht in Pattaya.

No it isn't, you won't find a taxi to take you anywhere for 10 baht. A baht bus would though but that is a lot different from a taxi.

I stand corrected, the member did specifically state, "taxi" but how great are those baht buses in Pattaya? biggrin.png

You never need a taxi in Pattaya because of the baht buses.

Edited by NamKangMan

Isn't the taxi problem easy? Competitively bid out taxi services, competing for best/lowest pricing schedule.

All taxis must use a meter. Big sign that says: No Meter, No Taxi Fee due.

If you get into a taxi and the taxi cab tries to negotiate a set fee, you just take down the taxi cab #, get out, and report his ass!

Report it to an independent Public service group. They then report and track for the Taxi Company. After 3 reports, taxi cab driver is removed from his duty.

Educate/empower the tourists, and the problem should go away quickly.

• Like 1

Pomchop, I have to ask.

I have never been to Phuket, but have read many posts on TV about what is bad about living there.

So why then do people, especially farangs, want to live there? What are the attractions of Phuket?

it like this MR LITTLE...''when we need you(a taxi) we will call you""....turn your meter on,shut your cake hole(mouth),and drive....its simple....why do thais make every thing so complicated....

Pomchop, I have to ask.

I have never been to Phuket, but have read many posts on TV about what is bad about living there.

So why then do people, especially farangs, want to live there? What are the attractions of Phuket?

Why do farangs want to live there? Well I'm just guessing of course…
But probably because there are thousands of farangs there that are blissfully unaware of the existence of TV forums. And they are perfectly happy living their own lives there, and form their own opinions based on their own personal experiences, likes, and dislikes, without the stereotyped biases and melodramatic rantings of the disgruntled know-it-all masses with nothing better to do but gripe about everything on an internet forum. whistling.gif
But then, I'm just guessing of course… coffee1.gif
  • Like 2

Pomchop, I have to ask.

But probably because there are thousands of farangs there that are blissfully unaware of the existence of TV forums. And they are perfectly happy living their own lives there, and form their own opinions based on their own personal experiences, likes, and dislikes, without the stereotyped biases and melodramatic rantings of the disgruntled know-it-all masses with nothing better to do but gripe about everything on an internet forum. whistling.gif

Sounds like a "gripe" about others "griping" on TV. smile.png

You know, you don't have to visit the Forum, "I'm just guessing of course," that the "griping" entertains you somehow. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Pomchop, I have to ask.

Sounds like a "gripe" about others "griping" on TV. smile.png

You know, you don't have to visit the Forum, "I'm just guessing of course," that the "griping" entertains you somehow. smile.png

"Sounds like a "gripe" about others "griping" on TV." Yes, to gripers it would. But it was meant to suggest to the poster I replied to (who has never been to Phuket) that judging Phuket based on what he reads here isn't the best idea. smile.png
"…the "griping" entertains you somehow." Yes. In a morbid curiosity kind of way. smile.png

Pomchop, I have to ask.

Its a beautiful island, plenty to do, shopping, golf, horseback riding, world class diving, Deep sea fishing, tennis, spas, restaurants from every part of the world, Malls with movie theaters, great ( although can be expensive) supermarkets, International schools, international airport, International hospitals, World class hotels & resorts, Marinas, Traffic (555)

if you don't ever take a tuk tuk or need to sample the thrill of a jet ski, its a really nice place to live an raise a family

Good intercity bus ( not interbeach though but that might change)

Going on 30 years here an yes there have been changes, some for the better some.....

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

"The key, he said, is cooperation and communication. “Everyone should help each other – this is the basis of society. And everyone must obey the rules. Phuket is a tourism province, and should keep improving its services."

“Communication is key, particularly with hotels to ensure that everyone is happy.”

Did anyone see any of the above when they were totally intimidating the pulic.................including the hotels?

"The key, he said, is cooperation and communication. “Everyone should help each other – this is the basis of society. And everyone must obey the rules. Phuket is a tourism province, and should keep improving its services."

“Communication is key, particularly with hotels to ensure that everyone is happy.”

Did anyone see any of the above when they were totally intimidating the pulic.................including the hotels?

He obviously believes there is no place in society for tourists here, as I don't see much help for them coming from him, and his cartels.

Edited by NamKangMan

I wonder what all he tourists or people from or live outside thailand make of all this

As the main thing is to keep the Toursit industry going as so many place like samui Phuket pattaya and other tourist destinations depend of tourists for jobs

The balance is to protect the tourists form the mafia

But keep interesting business open to keep the places interesting for tourists

Also forang owned business. If they start to suffer then this shall effect Thailand internationally with thousands of people heading home with bad stories to tell

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app