England Vs Sweden

mrbojangles

i thought england looked vulnerable on corners & crosses against sweden.it doesnt seem like they have the tall dominant defender who can stick his head on the ball,like tony adams used to.

maybe cambell coming back will help,but like owen he seems injury prone at the moment.

it seems john terry is more naturally vocal on the pitch,than beckham,& organises everybody.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear finn-whatever - I have nothing against lampard, but I give myself the right to contradict someone if I feel that I should.

The point I made - and was picked up by others - is that instead of blindly going ra-ra no mtter what, a bit of cosntructive criticism might be a good idea as well.

Maybe Sven is all ra ra and reads the sh!te in the papers and believes them, therefore making the bizarre choices he has.

No, lampard, I don't believe everyone would have hailed England as world-beaters had the game ended 2 minutes earlier. A lot of people here know a bit about football, played it even, and when your team is not playing well, are not stupid enough to think they are.

Anyone here saying that Aussies wouldn't trash their team after an abysmal performance has never been to Australia.

I think England has one chance left, in their game with Ecuador, to solidify a team - play Walcott - why the heck even bring him along if he's just going to sit on the bench?

Go for broke, as any opponent after Ecudaor is sure to be a tough assignment. (Unless you are blindingly convinced that England has the best team in the world and can beat anyone, anytime, anywhere, anyhow and by a huge margin)

Finn-whatever, you have questioned my post - do you have something against me?

First half we played well. Joe Cole was busy and consistently beat the Swedish right back (who I believe is actually a midfield player) and his goal was beautifully taken, excellent technique. Lampard got in some good positions but his shooting was off, as it was in the last couple of games.

However in the second half we played average at best, although Sweden plyaed a lot better. There was not as much running, and passes were going astray. Many of the final balls were overhit, or simply weren't accurate.

Our defence seemed to be all over the show in the second half, especially in the period after the first goal was scored. It was a very good corner and a superb header by Allback (why couldnt he do that for Villa when he used to play for us?). However Beckham was too slow and should have made it more difficult for him with a challenge. After that they looked like scoring everytime they had a corner/free kick. Half the defence seemed to be man marking, with the rest opting for zonal marking, with the result no-one knew what was happening. We rode our luck a little bit during that period, although as someone pointed out previously the Swedes were putting in some dangerous balls.

The second goal was appalling. Sol Campbell should have been much more assertive in trying to attack the ball. Instead he hesitated (probably partly due to assuming Terry might get it). Hargreaves was stood there ball watching and completely lost his marker. Reminded me of the occassional comedy defending of our very own Sunbelt Thaivisa.com F.C :o

The positives were the dangerous play of Joe Cole, Rooney getting some match practice and coming through it without any problems, Gerrards goaline clearance and well taken goal after some poor England performances. Ashley Cole looks comfortable considering he missed a lot of the season.

The negatives were the poor defending, especially for anything knocked into the box, Sol Campbell still looks a little shaky, Beckham drifting in and out of the game and lacking his usual precision crossing, Crouch looking a little out of his depth at times and Svens halftime teamtalk. God knows what he said, but it was hardly Churchillian in motivating the players. Of course Owens injury is a big blow. He may have lacked a little match fitness and sharpness, but he is always capable of scoring.

I can see us beating Ecuador in the next round as long as we stay focussed, but after that I think we will need to play more ruthlessly, not just sit back, and need a lot of luck.

I was gutted when the injury time equaliser went in , my sizable bet went down the shitter... :D

Hargreaves played well , I take all the criticism back. Surely Walcott needs to come on soon, why take him instead of Defoe otherwise? Crouch is not good enough against strong opposition, at least not for the full 90 mins. I have a feeling that Svennis will make Rooney the lone striker in a 4-5-1 formation..... :o Hope Lennon/Jenas start the next match, also Carrick could do with a run out. :D

No need to get shirty Lamps...I thought England were sublime in the 1st half, and Ole Joe Cole was the King. The turnips didn't have a look in !

On reflection watching 2nd time round THEY were very good in the second half.

Why don't England play in RED all the time.... :o

Just to add. It has just been reported that Micheal Owen is out for 5 months. Feel sorry for the guy and for Newcastle, as they now need to find a replacement for him and Shearer.

I think in cases like this, FIFA should allow the team to bring back one of their original squad (before it was cut down to 23). We all want the best players there.

Edited by mrbojangles

i think that the people who are critising england are doing so because they're worried that the team may not progress, if the performances so far are anything to go by.

im not sure its slagging off.

a half lucky goal against paraguay,a great clearance,by john terry.shots hitting the english goal posts against sweden.

equador look a tough side.

Anyone here saying that Aussies wouldn't trash their team after an abysmal performance has never been to Australia.

No, I'm saying they wouldn't berate their team for any minor little mishap like this cocksucker was the other night... saying, we're <deleted>, we shouldn't be here ad nauseum. You don't have to go to Oz to know that, although I have been :o:D

I'm still not sure I understand you lot out there. Erikssonn makes a brilliant tactical substitution in bring Rooney off and putting Gerrard on, he immediatley makes a goal-line save, then scores what everyone except the Swedes thought was the winner, and you berate him for not trying out Walcott.

Now do not get me wrong here, I am not trying to cut everyone down, but if any other manager in the World had done that, everyone would be singing his praises from here to Kingdom come. That was a substitution straight out of the Mourhino book of tactics.

OK he's a Swede. OK we want an English manager. OK he makes some strange decisions. But that was one of his good ones. I don't want him as our manager. Obviously you don't want him as our manager, but for Christs sake give the bloke a chance. Putting Walcott in might turn out to be a master move. Bet the opposition havn't studied him like the other England members. I too am mystified why Defoe is not playing, but also remember he can't always get a start in the Spurs team. If your going to use an un-capped striker, why not add another Cole to the list. Carlton Cole is captain of the under 21's and he seems to find the net reguarly for them.

I'm still not sure I understand you lot out there. Erikssonn makes a brilliant tactical substitution in bring Rooney off and putting Gerrard on, he immediatley makes a goal-line save, then scores what everyone except the Swedes thought was the winner, and you berate him for not trying out Walcott.

Now do not get me wrong here, I am not trying to cut everyone down, but if any other manager in the World had done that, everyone would be singing his praises from here to Kingdom come. That was a substitution straight out of the Mourhino book of tactics.

OK he's a Swede. OK we want an English manager. OK he makes some strange decisions. But that was one of his good ones. I don't want him as our manager. Obviously you don't want him as our manager, but for Christs sake give the bloke a chance.

For me, it was the fact that the team just looked ordinary in the second half and were always on the back foot, notwithstanding the brilliance of certain star players.

I've just seen a report that says England have been allotted 3,600 tickets for the Ecuador game. That is 8% of the stadium's capacity. It's fcucking barmy i tell ya :D

:DAgree......however, it's exactly the same for the Dutch....they're allowed a 'few' tickets also; crazy system, the FIFA is handling. :o

So: who the heck is getting tickets.... :D the Germans?

LaoPo

I've just seen a report that says England have been allotted 3,600 tickets for the Ecuador game. That is 8% of the stadium's capacity. It's fcucking barmy i tell ya :D

LaoPo

The touts :o

LaoPo

The touts :o

Probably right there jack. I believe it's NOT illegal in Germany to tout, so they haven't been checking "purchase" names against tickets. But it really isn't fare on the fans :D

Does nobody else think that we should be able to replace Owen with one of our original squad members? :D

Edited by mrbojangles

Whoever said there are 6 teams who could win,,,,listen up, there are 16

Last night proved it.

Of course there is, I said that last week. Also don't forget the Czech Republic are the second best team in the World at the mo, and many peoples tip to win it........................................Oh, that's right. They lost to a bunch of Africans.

Believe me, there are no certainties in this class of football. Just like there are NO easy games. I'm willing England to win it. The way Ecuador played against Germany, they havn't got a cat-in-hells-chance against us. The way Ecuadoer beat Argentina & Brazil in the qualifiers, maybe we'll struggle. Sometimes I wish I was like some of you lot out there in the wild blue yonder, and knew it all.

So: who the heck is getting tickets.... :o the Germans?

Lets ask our man in Berlin ?????

Did you not see the report in BBC about the crocks in FIFA? Everyone up in the top of FIFA are getting Millions of dollars accepting the right bid for TV-rights. Same with tickets. They are going to the FIFA-members that gave the right vote when they elected the chairman last year. And now the tickets are in the black market.

The Mafiosi in Palermo are schoolboys compared to the big guys in FIFA.

Check out when this report comes next time on TV in BBC. It's worth to see!

The way Ecuador played against Germany, they havn't got a cat-in-hells-chance against us. The way Ecuadoer beat Argentina & Brazil in the qualifiers, maybe we'll struggle. Sometimes I wish I was like some of you lot out there in the wild blue yonder, and knew it all.

I agree with most of what your'e saying lamps but Ecuador won't be a walk over. Yeah they beat Argies and Brazil but that was at altitude. However, with qualification assured, they did not try particularly hard against Germany and made five changes to their usual starting line-up, resting their main players. You cannot read anything into that performance.

cant wait for the footy to finish so all the 'little managers' can go back into hiding for another 2/4 years..........its easy to see through the majority of people's comments on here, they are just reciting comments & statisics from papers, tv etc.....quite sad really......muppets :o

cant wait for the footy to finish so all the 'little managers' can go back into hiding for another 2/4 years..........its easy to see through the majority of people's comments on here, they are just reciting comments & statisics from papers, tv etc.....quite sad really......muppets :D

<deleted> off to another forum then, if youv'e nothing constructive to say. You muppet :o:D

I think in cases like this, FIFA should allow the team to bring back one of their original squad (before it was cut down to 23). We all want the best players there.

not the best players if they missed the cut....... :o ....now thats constructive!!

not the best players if they missed the cut....... :D ....now thats constructive!!

First of all Ben, learn how to use your quote buttons :o

Second, what isn't constructive? They must have been one of the best, to have been in the initial squad. It's just that the manager HAD to choose only 23, therefore, he RELUCTANTLY had to send some home.

Thirdly, you still haven't said anything worthy on this "discussion" forum. So i stand by my initial remark, <deleted> off to another forum....muppet :D

Edited by mrbojangles