Good reason for having a CarCam

Daffy D

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The driver with the dash cam was either trying to keep up with the driver who got hit (family or friend), or was doing something called "locking," where a driver subconsciously keeps up with the vehicle in front of him. They were both driving too fast for conditions. The oncoming vehicle suffered a power-wheel tire blowout under acceleration, which are almost uncontrollable short of specific training.

The dash cam driver, if he'd been driving according to his skill level at a lower speed, could have easily maneuvered around the vehicle he hit.

You really thing so? What was the speed of the dashcam equipped car at time of impact?

Read my post again. I already stated how fast he was traveling.

"… too fast for conditions."

Although if I were to answer your question as you wrote it, I'd have to say 0 kph.

• Like 1

The oncoming vehicle suffered a power-wheel tire blowout under acceleration, which are almost uncontrollable short of specific training.

Is that in the Thai description or do you manage to see that from the video?

• Like 1

The driver with the dash cam was either trying to keep up with the driver who got hit (family or friend), or was doing something called "locking," where a driver subconsciously keeps up with the vehicle in front of him. They were both driving too fast for conditions. The oncoming vehicle suffered a power-wheel tire blowout under acceleration, which are almost uncontrollable short of specific training.

The dash cam driver, if he'd been driving according to his skill level at a lower speed, could have easily maneuvered around the vehicle he hit.

And yet the left rear wheel (which would be the one to blow -out to cause the accident in your scenario) was still inflated.

Where did you get your story from other than out of your rectum ?

I don't normally respond to immature posters, but for the sake of others who might assume you correct ….

Uh, yeah, the left rear was still inflated because it was the right rear that had the catastrophic blowout. The left rear powered the vehicle into a hard right swerve.

• Like 1

Well it appears you were there and witnessed it all ?

Or are you god?

Sent from my EPad

• Like 1

The oncoming vehicle suffered a power-wheel tire blowout under acceleration, which are almost uncontrollable short of specific training.

Is that in the Thai description or do you manage to see that from the video?

Twenty-five years as a cop, involved in lots of accident investigations when they involved homicides. I can see it in the video.

• Like 1

You really thing so? What was the speed of the dashcam equipped car at time of impact?

Read my post again. I already stated how fast he was traveling.

"… too fast for conditions."

Although if I were to answer your question as you wrote it, I'd have to say 0 kph.

"too fast for conditions" I don't agee! Firstly, I would be inclined to suggest a speed of 90 - 100kph before the impact. Secondly, it was fair weather, daytime, and a dual carriageway. More than reasonable to expect light vehicles to be travelling at 80-100kph.

"Although if I were to answer your question as you wrote it, I'd have to say 0 kph." You...or I could hazard a guess. The impact speed of the 2 vehicles would be substancial.

It all happened in 2 seconds.

Edited by BSJ

Nasty. Anything, absolutely anything can happen in the blink of an eye. Especially in Thailand.

Always remember that.

3 things are vital for driving a car in Thailand:

1st class insurance.

Front dash cam.

Rear dash cam.

Not expensive to set up, and at some point in your life here they will likely save you trouble and grief.

I partially agree but I feel his speed was manageable, he was not looking ahead far enough, he had plenty of open road ahead, even when he hit him it looked like he had hardly slowed at all. I saw the accident beginning well ahead when he had plenty of time to react by slowing or even stopping. Tragic accident to be learned from, sadly the camera car had no reason to be part of the accident and even the truck ahead of him took no avoiding action, they both had time too to attempt avoiding action going left but did not..

• Like 1

And yet the left rear wheel (which would be the one to blow -out to cause the accident in your scenario) was still inflated.

Where did you get your story from other than out of your rectum ?

I don't normally respond to immature posters, but for the sake of others who might assume you correct ….

Uh, yeah, the left rear was still inflated because it was the right rear that had the catastrophic blowout. The left rear powered the vehicle into a hard right swerve.

I was just reading others perspectives before when I answered but on second look I don't see any signs of blowout. It is a very sharp turn, I believe the driver was rear end light, traveling too fast and began to over-steer and then over-corrected into a tank slapper eventually going out of control and crossing into head on traffic.. It's that simple, inexperienced driver, bad situation, very common end result but usually in the rain not the dry.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 2

I recognized the street. Taking it almost daily. Most of the drivers are too fast and not in control of the speed. Currently as well they install right turn lanes, which leaves the road even dirtier then usually. This combined with speeds between 100-140 km/h and usually in my opinion unskilled drivers are resulting in more then only those accidents. There are almost daily any kind of accidents on this road, due to drivers taking the curves on the wrong side or underestimating the speed of oncoming traffic. Sadly it is common to have at least one deadly accident per week in this area.his is as well the reason why I always have my car am on as soon as I am starting to drive.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by TobiasML
  • Like 1

I think the guy was going too fast, oversteered in correction...

Besides the horrific accident in itself what strikes me is the very dangerous out of the blue construction ahead signage at the beginning of the video.

Checkout how they have built the median curbing a bit farther down that sticks out of nowhere from the right and makes the lane undrivable and some idiot parks his big truck to the side of it...

^&^^Thank you both for confirming my impressions.. That much time is an eternity to react IF one is paying proper attention and has a plan, always drive with a plan for EVERY contingency based on constant traffic observation... Things like papers on dash boards and stuff that create distracting reflections or movement = poor driving habits. Having said that in reference to the OP, can't see how this could have ever been considered the cam car drivers fault if an officer has the slightest bit of investigative training, let alone common sense.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 2

Many interesting theories. Personally I think the driver of black truck was not paying attention and just missed the corner. You can see the puff of dirt being thrown up as his front wheel came off the blacktop. Maybe he dozed off, was texting or arguing with his wife guess we will never know.

Agree with previous poster that carcams footage always make it appear you are going faster than you actually are.

I don't think the driver in front of the camera car could have been expected to anticipate what happened. The day was beautiful the road conditions just about perfect little traffic and while one pays attention to the road ahead, a truck flying at you from the other side of the road is not something you could foresee.

The poor driver probably saw something in his peripheral vision and just had time to think 'What the F***" before he was dead.

Looking at the footage again and again it's easy to say the driver could have avoided being hit, really? The first time you watched did you actually see the black truck before it was in the air and almost on the other truck?

In the old days the UK driving test booklet (anyone remember those) they had diagrams you had to learn about stopping distances at different speeds. The stopping distances were in two parts, reaction time, that's the time for the brain to analyze a situation, and actual stopping time when you hit the brakes. I can't remember the reaction times but the are a lot longer than one imagines. I don't think anyone had time to do much of anything.

As I said in the OP according to Mrs.D initially the police thought the driver of the camera car might have been to blame. When the police arrived there would have been just a mangled mess of three cars and three bodies on one this side of the road so their initial view of the accident would have been different before seeing the camera footage.

sad.png

• Like 1

Oversteering is a possibility.

Either way, everyone involved was unskilled, and driving too fast for conditions.

5555. so it went from a blow-out caused the crash and now possibly oversteer..

Your 25 years in the service taught you to back peddle quickly.

So tells us again what you saw in the video ?

Not changing my mind. It's a poor quality video with no enhancement software, and no other evidence available to us. You can no more guarantee it was oversteering, than I can a blowout. Really, I just don't care either way.

The difference is, I can concede I might be wrong (about the blowout, not the speed) whereas your social immaturity and constant in-your-face confrontational postings since you joined prevents you from doing the same.

Say whatever you want in reply. I'm now going to watch some paint dry.

• Like 1