Good reason for having a CarCam

Daffy D

The oncoming vehicle suffered a power-wheel tire blowout under acceleration, which are almost uncontrollable short of specific training.

Is that in the Thai description or do you manage to see that from the video?

Twenty-five years as a cop, involved in lots of accident investigations when they involved homicides. I can see it in the video.

Think you will fit in well with the BIB, Have you applied?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be watching the wrong video! At 54 seconds the white van was passed by the camera car, when both vehicles involved sped up, and it was a double lane stretch of road with no obvious roadworks that I could see. Whether there was an end roadworks sign...I don't know.

What I do know is that we should always remain vigilant 100% of the time and be prepared to react to any threat....and maybe we get lucky.

I don't think the driver in front of the camera car could have been expected to anticipate what happened.

Don't agree with this, for all the reasons you mentioned.. There was plenty of time for them to read and react, have had similar situations happen to me and even recently a driver, on my side of the road, in much closer contact, rounding a more blind bend while he was texting and I slowed, began to drive right, (into a lawn if necessary to avoid, thankfully it wasn't) and blew my horn continuously and the P!@#k finally realized and swerved back into his lane.

The video truck was well out of control before the corner and it was away from traffic initially but the driver in the second truck was not paying good attention and the end result is bad news.. Stopped 15 feet earlier and the truck harmlessly goes off in the weeds on it's own.. Though the camera car might have rear ended the second truck due to not paying any better attention themselves.

A number of good points being made here but the purpose of the post, imho, is to remind us to get dash cams, not a debriefing on the mva. I bought a Toyota Fortuner a year ago and intended to install front and back cams but haven't. This timely post reminds me. Can anyone recommend a good dash cam and reliable installer in Chiang Mai? Grateful for any suggestions.

No edit on starter posts??blink.png

The last line should be;-

Be careful out

? Does look that he is not at fault causing the accident. But he was in the wrong lane ,always must keep in left lane unless overtaking,That is the Law.

Nasty. Anything, absolutely anything can happen in the blink of an eye. Especially in Thailand.

Always remember that.

3 things are vital for driving a car in Thailand:

1st class insurance.

Front dash cam.

Rear dash cam.

Not expensive to set up, and at some point in your life here they will likely save you trouble and grief.

As an expat driving in Thailand I couldn't agree more that a dashcam is worth it's weight in diamonds!

I bought mine in Singapore 2 years ago and for the first time just last week it came to save me being accused of being at faul.

It wasn't anything serious at all, just a scrape that's all,

I wanted to say "let's forget the insurance because both cars will buff out with a bit of T cut" (well, my wife did actually :) we were both starving and couldn't be bothered with it TBH...

But she got all high n mighty and called her insurance company... Fair enough then

After both out insurance reps saw my video they both agreed it was her fault because she backed into me (released her footbrake and reversed into me as I passed)

I'm looking for the newer model with GPS date on the overlay now. Eastings, Northings and speed... As I've been stopped by the police a few times before and been given a speeding ticket!! Yet they don't stop the Thai guy in front of me...?

Hmmm, I must spent more time in the sun and work on my tan ;)

The oncoming vehicle suffered a power-wheel tire blowout under acceleration, which are almost uncontrollable short of specific training.

Twenty-five years as a cop, involved in lots of accident investigations when they involved homicides. I can see it in the video.

People like you are entertaining! You should be on stage at the comedy club!

• Like 1

Looking at the video it was obvious that something was amiss when the oncoming vehicle started to round the bend. It was very noticeable, even without zooming in.

So, I'm surprised that neither the leading truck, nor (and especially) the camera truck made any attempt to change speed or direction when the event occurred. With a variance of culpability, they all played a role in the dire consequence of the incident.

All the dash-cam recording highlighted to me, was that the driver had little regard for ensuring both their own safety and that of other road users. He/she was probably paying much more consideration to the quality of the video feed (for later addition to their titter account) than to road safety.

Jerry

There's only ONE reason that makes you say "nobody made an attempt to change speed"...

That reason being is that YOU knew what was going to happen after watching it! THEY DIDN'T!

Then you watched it the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time... Before making your comment, as did all of us... Right?

Anyone that's driven an empty pickup knows that the back is very twitchy and oversteer is inevitable at high speed.

In MY OPINION after watching it on the big HD screen - I'm not a cop so I won't state it as fact! - It's based on personal experience of driving pickups that's all, I know how they handle that's all.

The back end kicked out because he was driving too fast for the bend and steered too sharply, therefore it over steered (went into a drift as they say), once the back end hit the dirt he had absolutely no chance of steering into the oversteer (drift) to correct it.

The "conditions" have nothing to do with it - that's just a typical cop statement written in his accident report.

The conditions were perfect for an F1 race day at Silverstone! Just look at that lovely sky! and not a drop of rain on the roads...

"AS FAR AS I CAN SEE" frame by frame and there's no sight of a tyre blowout....?

A number of good points being made here but the purpose of the post, imho, is to remind us to get dash cams, not a debriefing on the mva. I bought a Toyota Fortuner a year ago and intended to install front and back cams but haven't. This timely post reminds me. Can anyone recommend a good dash cam and reliable installer in Chiang Mai? Grateful for any suggestions.

See post 45

The driver with the dash cam was either trying to keep up with the driver who got hit (family or friend), or was doing something called "locking," where a driver subconsciously keeps up with the vehicle in front of him. They were both driving too fast for conditions. The oncoming vehicle suffered a power-wheel tire blowout under acceleration, which are almost uncontrollable short of specific training.

The dash cam driver, if he'd been driving according to his skill level at a lower speed, could have easily maneuvered around the vehicle he hit.

And yet the left rear wheel (which would be the one to blow -out to cause the accident in your scenario) was still inflated.

Where did you get your story from other than out of your rectum ?

I don't normally respond to immature posters, but for the sake of others who might assume you correct ….

Uh, yeah, the left rear was still inflated because it was the right rear that had the catastrophic blowout. The left rear powered the vehicle into a hard right swerve.

I was just reading others perspectives before when I answered but on second look I don't see any signs of blowout. It is a very sharp turn, I believe the driver was rear end light, traveling too fast and began to over-steer and then over-corrected into a tank slapper eventually going out of control and crossing into head on traffic.. It's that simple, inexperienced driver, bad situation, very common end result but usually in the rain not the dry.

LMAO..!

Tank slapper... Ermmm, that's something ONLY experienced by motorbike riders... And I mean Real motorbikes,,, not crappy Fino's or scoopy's

Thanks for the larf dude ;)

Edited by Porkster

Many totaly bald tires in Thailand, especially so on public transport vehicals.

Myth, bald grips better unless it shows belts, is wet surfaces or really low pressure that doesn't support the sidewall well enough.. Doesn't mean it's safe though so those looking to pounce don't need to try and tee off on that one..

The driver with the dash cam was either trying to keep up with the driver who got hit (family or friend), or was doing something called "locking," where a driver subconsciously keeps up with the vehicle in front of him. They were both driving too fast for conditions. The oncoming vehicle suffered a power-wheel tire blowout under acceleration, which are almost uncontrollable short of specific training.

The dash cam driver, if he'd been driving according to his skill level at a lower speed, could have easily maneuvered around the vehicle he hit.

You really thing so? What was the speed of the dashcam equipped car at time of impact?

Read my post again. I already stated how fast he was traveling.

"… too fast for conditions."

Although if I were to answer your question as you wrote it, I'd have to say 0 kph.

"too fast for conditions" I don't agee! Firstly, I would be inclined to suggest a speed of 90 - 100kph before the impact. Secondly, it was fair weather, daytime, and a dual carriageway. More than reasonable to expect light vehicles to be travelling at 80-100kph.

"Although if I were to answer your question as you wrote it, I'd have to say 0 kph." You...or I could hazard a guess. The impact speed of the 2 vehicles would be substancial.

It all happened in 2 seconds.

There are so many vehicles being passed quickly in this video. I drive my motorbike at 90kph, and believe me, I pass absolutely no one at this low speed. This video is showing at least 125kph, probably more, on a conservative guess.

And yet the left rear wheel (which would be the one to blow -out to cause the accident in your scenario) was still inflated.

Where did you get your story from other than out of your rectum ?

I don't normally respond to immature posters, but for the sake of others who might assume you correct ….

Uh, yeah, the left rear was still inflated because it was the right rear that had the catastrophic blowout. The left rear powered the vehicle into a hard right swerve.

I was just reading others perspectives before when I answered but on second look I don't see any signs of blowout. It is a very sharp turn, I believe the driver was rear end light, traveling too fast and began to over-steer and then over-corrected into a tank slapper eventually going out of control and crossing into head on traffic.. It's that simple, inexperienced driver, bad situation, very common end result but usually in the rain not the dry.

LMAO..!

Tank slapper... Ermmm, that's something ONLY experienced by motorbike riders... And I mean Real motorbikes,,, not frappe Fino'ss or scoopy's

Thanks for the larf dude wink.png

Negative! Key question, did you know what was being referred too? If so my point is made but more specifically any sudden back and forth motion where the vehicle momentum suddenly changes direction is referred to as a tank slapper, it just happens to have been originally coined relative to motorcycles, but thanks for your participation anyway, better luck next time..

Edited by Rimmer
Confrontational
  • Like 1

I tried using a mains powered 4 channel home security PVR, powered via a small inverter. 3 normal cams and one L/R inverted as I needed that for my rear vision monitorring.

Performed rather well, and even coped with vehicular movement and bumps, but to be a real success, it would have been better with a separate car battery system.

Took a lot of power though, and I had it running switched via the Accessories power, and got caught out, just that once - drained battery in shoppingmart carpark (had the Music on waiting for the wife bah.gif ).

So if you can see it in the video,that proves the point of this topic ,"it is good to have a dash-cam "

And any judge will judge the driver of the dash-cam not guilty .

Maybe this driver drove too fast,he did not provoke the accident .So he could get a speeding ticket in the worst case.

If the driver, with the flat tire ,was not driving that fast in a corner ,he could easily have avoided an accident .

So it is wise to have a dash-cam ,i believe.

I've always been a defensive driver but find I have to be even more so in Thailand, especially when riding a bike. My motto is treat everyone on the roads like idiots.

On my first pass of the video I too was surprised the driver of the cam car didn't seem to attempt to change speed or direction. But on my second pass, you can clearly see he did brake and swerve slightly when the first impact was happening, it was just too late and was probably due to not paying enough attention to the road. Something I'm sure we've all be guilty of at some point in our lives.

These cams are a good idea if you don't want the blame but they won't save your life.

I'm not going to say drive carefully either because you probably already do. Just drive vigilantly.

• Like 1

gee, I reckon the passenger was more exposed than the driver...

lucky the bus wan't travelling at any speed

Driver actually got hit quite hard, very lucky to be alive let alone mostly uninjured, incredible stuff..

Driver actually got hit quite hard, very lucky to be alive let alone mostly uninjured, incredible stuff..

Apparently he copped a ruptured spleen.

Apparently he copped a ruptured spleen.

Well seems he's lucky to have his head still for obvious reasons but it hit him right at neck height as he was ducking, slow it down and watch, very lucky indeed and a ruptured spleen can be very nasty stuff.