Good reason for having a CarCam

Daffy D

Thanks mate,

Exactly the same reason I want to get that model also, though I'm too impatient to wait for your review so we'll compare in a week or so...

I'm also going to put the one I have now in the back window, it has front and rear lenses and records a slit screen, but I've only ever used it in the front lens mode because A, I wanted a full screen to catch it all, and B, nobody wants to see my ugly mug...

Here's a pointer to anyone installing their own dash cam in a car with GPS.

If the camera is mounted next to or very close to the GPS antenna it's more than likely (as I discovered) the EMF (ElectroMagnetic Field) from the camera will interfere with the GPS signal and either make it very sporadic or just take a very long time to locate 3 or more satellites (or the required amount your GPS system needs).

I took me a few days to figure out what had happened to my after market Speed Navi GPS system as the installer had mounted the antenna in the most favoured behind the mirror on the windscreen location and I'd chosen to mount the camera there also...

Just a heads up for those wishing to install themselves and like me, you can't read Chinese !

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing the devil's advocate for a moment...looking at that dashcam a couple of videos up, I wonder how many accidents have been caused by those things blocking some of the driver's view?

IMHO

I'm pretty sure the guy just mounted it in that location just for the review and for a better view for his video camera filming the review.

Surely there must be some kind that can be incorporated into the rear view mirror to avoid additional clutter out the windscreen?When racing I always installed it behind the rear view mirror and that was a Go Pro cam..

They actually sell one in SimLim towers in Singapore that is a rear view mirror as you say, but they're not HD therefore the video quality is pretty pants,

Made in China,,, ahem...

^ Good reason for a credit card, makes online orders much easier and with better recourse if something happens.

Credit cards and the internet makes me apprehensive, I prefer to use PayPay myself. [emoji106]

But in situations like this where they don't do PayPal, Ye Olde ATM is good enough for me and proof of payment is right there in your hand in form of an ATM receipt and bank statement [emoji120]

But that's MY personal preference [emoji6]

Edited by Porkster

Thank you for showing this...I passed it to my Thai wife. She drives too fast here, and I am looking in buy a dash cam. Too many option on the market and yours look to be good. Can you tell me the brand and model?

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed again.

Thank you for showing this...I passed it to my Thai wife. She drives too fast here, and I am looking in buy a dash cam. Too many option on the market and yours look to be good. Can you tell me the brand and model?

Who is this question put to?

There have been several threads here on DashCams so a search should bring up lots of information.

Having said that the threads seem to have dried up so I'll just give a little update on my experiences with buying a camera.

The best advice I can give is don't get a cheap one. I have had about 4 cameras each one a little more expensive than the last hoping each will be better and work properly.

Finally settled on the DOD LW430W which is brilliant with great night time recording, which is where many cameras fall down on. I think I get better picture with more detail on the camera screen at night than actually looking through the window tongue.png

http://www.dod-tec.com/index.php - http://www.dod-tec.com/product.php

Technoman does a great review on this camera

I got mine from :- http://store.thaiblackbox.com/?s=dod&post_type=product - Sorry Thai only site but there are plenty of other options.

Fitting one in the car is a breeze. They come with plastic suction thingy that sucks onto the window screen and a power lead that plugs into the cigarette/accessory socket. This powers the camera on and off with the ignition so once in place you never have to worry about forgetting to turn it on and off.

Setting the camera up can be a bit confusing as most of the instructions are useless, though the LW430W has a pretty good instructions. Pressing the menu button brings up the set up menu and clicking through it is mainly common sense, and there is always the internet or even here if you get stuck.

smile.png

This is Daffy's original post regarding the latest on the market,

It's best feature is the fact that it shows speed and displays in an overly together with the time and date.

The one I'm currently using does not have the seed display but does has a front and rear facing lens (front lens adjustable up n down)

This latter type can be found in most reputable I.C.E. & Auto parts shops...

Hope this helps...

Still looking for a shop in Chiang Mai where I can buy and have a dashcam installed. Any suggestions?

Found 2 shops, one in Pantip plaza ( on the right as you walk in from the side road ) but only a small selection, the other one is on Charoen Muang Rd, you come over Narawat bridge coming from the city and through the traffic lights, the shop is on the corner (RHS) of the next junction opposite the bank.

Didn't seem to have any of the ones I've on seen on reviews so perhaps they only had ones made in China, anyway I looked at a GS9000L for 1,600 baht, to be fair I'm still debating weather to go with it or not as I wouldn't normally go for cheaper options.

Quote: I guess I will never know why the camera car never swerved or braked. If he went left he was screwed. If he went right he could have involved oncoming traffic in the incident....maybe. End quote

Looking at the video it looks like the two trucks involved in the initial impact first go to the car cam driver's left and then back directly into his lane. It was a very short window of time to decide on an evasive maneuver, but what would, in your respective opinions, been the best thing to do upon seeing this happen ahead? Going into the lane to the right could have involved an oncoming car and a certainly fatal head on crash (although I didn't see any) and would have involved swerving back into the original lane or going all the way across the road onto the far shoulder. Turning the car left to take the hit on the passenger side as on poster suggested would have left any passenger, probably, in worse shape than the head on would have.

Also, do agree that he didn't brake?

I ask partly because I think if you mentally rehearse possible choices in these situations you speed up your response in the actual event.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The oncoming vehicle suffered a power-wheel tire blowout under acceleration, which are almost uncontrollable short of specific training.

Is that in the Thai description or do you manage to see that from the video?

Twenty-five years as a cop, involved in lots of accident investigations when they involved homicides. I can see it in the video.

oooohhh...and cops with 25 year have never been wrong about anything.

When I watch the video....the truck is rounding a right hand turn however it appears that he drives straight into it and at the last minute tries to turn sharply out of the turn losing control and causing the accident. I do not see your evidence of a right rear blow out. I don't know how you can so emphatically make your decision, but I have seen cops with 25 years experience be so sure of themselves that they just can't see it any other way.

Maybe the driver of the truck was sleepy and missed the turn only to wake up at the last second alerted by the truck hitting the gravel on the edge of the road (which would account for the smoke you see)....wadda ya think copper? No bother....you got 25 perfect years of sight and memory....you can just relax now.

Edited by joshstiles

So, I'm surprised that neither the leading truck, nor (and especially) the camera truck made any attempt to change speed or direction when the event occurred. With a variance of culpability, they all played a role in the dire consequence of the incident.

Rubbish.

Considering the elapsed time since my post and your erudite reply. I'm not surprised that your in favor of folks who do nothing to avoid an accident or are incapable of doing so (and shouldn't be driving et al) not being held responsible for their actions/inactions.

Jerry

Similar accident with a driver reacting to the situation:

Excellent example and he had even less time to react being blinded by the tall grass in the center median. And Oh look! Another large tired SUV, probably with tire pressures too low because that's exactly what happens, here in the states though there would be a thorough and intense investigation to make that determination, Thailand, not so much..

Beer Chang... Probably the best drivers in Thailand [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

It was a Mazda pickup that flipped and the guy just hurt his arm apparently...

Playing the devil's advocate for a moment...looking at that dashcam a couple of videos up, I wonder how many accidents have been caused by those things blocking some of the driver's view?

Surely there must be some kind that can be incorporated into the rear view mirror to avoid additional clutter out the windscreen?

The cam I have installed sits behind the rear-view mirror and can't be seen from the drivers seat.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/626287-what-dash-cam-to-buy-and-where/page-3

I'm too am surprised that manufacturers are not incorporating these cams into new vehicles - a number of new models already have rear camera, side cameras, adding a decent HD forward facing camera to the rear-view mirror seems like a natural development.

Quick update.

The LS430W arrived today.

Came with a warranty card and 16Gb DOD memory card. The first camera did not come with a card.

This is good as not all memory cards are the same, some don't work well with carcams so using their own card should not have any problems.

The order is usually dispatched same day so depends on the postal system in your area as to when you get it.

There is a Facebook site so if you have an account you can get lots of support and information for the camera.

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

There have been several threads here on DashCams so a search should bring up lots of information.

Having said that the threads seem to have dried up so I'll just give a little update on my experiences with buying a camera.

The best advice I can give is don't get a cheap one. I have had about 4 cameras each one a little more expensive than the last hoping each will be better and work properly.

Finally settled on the DOD LW430W which is brilliant with great night time recording, which is where many cameras fall down on. I think I get better picture with more detail on the camera screen at night than actually looking through the window tongue.png

I got mine from :- http://store.thaiblackbox.com/?s=dod&post_type=product - Sorry Thai only site but there are plenty of other options.

Fitting one in the car is a breeze. They come with plastic suction thingy that sucks onto the window screen and a power lead that plugs into the cigarette/accessory socket. This powers the camera on and off with the ignition so once in place you never have to worry about forgetting to turn it on and off.

Setting the camera up can be a bit confusing as most of the instructions are useless, though the LW430W has a pretty good instructions. Pressing the menu button brings up the set up menu and clicking through it is mainly common sense, and there is always the internet or even here if you get stuck.

smile.png

A heads up for those wanting to order this dashcam.

I've just had my Mrs on the phone to him (Pee Joe) and she ordered it for me, going to the ATM tomorrow for the transfer BUT he's sold out until Monday...

He asked my mrs where she found out about it because he's been inundated with orders hence his depleted stock.

When she explained to him it was TVF he then understood why so many farang's have tried to order.

Pee Joe does not speak English he's sorry to say, so I suggest you ask your good lady to order it for you, or a Thai friend.

He also said it comes with 1yr warrantee and if there's a problem with it within 10 days of receiving it he'll exchange for a new one no pompem [emoji106]

Thanks again Daffy D, YOU da maaaan!

• Like 1

Good thread, shame about the people losing their lives.

I've just ordered 2 G1W's they have really good reviews especially for the price you pay. I've ordered mine from Amazon UK for around £100, both come with a 32g micro SD card.

I've driven quite a fair bit in Thailand and the only time I was involved in a car accident I was stationary and was thumped from behind. All I had were after shots from my cell phone.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

smile.png

I've just had my Mrs on the phone to him (Pee Joe) and she ordered it for me, going to the ATM tomorrow for the transfer BUT he's sold out until Monday...

He asked my mrs where she found out about it because he's been inundated with orders hence his depleted stock.

When she explained to him it was TVF he then understood why so many farang's have tried to order.

Pee Joe does not speak English he's sorry to say, so I suggest you ask your good lady to order it for you, or a Thai friend.

He also said it comes with 1yr warrantee and if there's a problem with it within 10 days of receiving it he'll exchange for a new one no pompem [emoji106]

How much cost this camera?

smile.png

Thanks again Daffy D, YOU da

smile.png

How much cost this camera?

6,300฿

Click the link to Thai BlackBox underneath the video.

Avoiding getting involved in an accident -- if you have enough time biggrin.png

Two schoolgirls chatting and giggling zipped past me on the inside and obviously still not paying attention when the other bike swung in front of them. Could easily have been avoided.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnodbiGWFQg&feature=player_detailpage

Nobody was seriously hurt in the making of this video.

biggrin.png

I think they were desperately trying to get away from the Falang playing ABBA in his pickup Mr D...

ABBA???... Really? [emoji23]

And in less than a week you get an accident on your cam... I haven't had one in two years!!! [emoji30]

Edited by Porkster
  • Like 1

I was not sure, but after looking at the posting I decided to try getting a cheap one, but with some information online, and sold by a Thai company with good customer service and store in BK. Lazada Thailand. Free home delivery and pay cash at home delivery or pre-paid by CC. Warranty 6 months. I am not sure if I will like to deal with a Chinese company in case of any problem, and I wanted to see it before purchasing. Took it just 2 days delivery.

I got the model F900LHD. It is a 1140THB copy of the 3900THB original, but it is working very well, day and night, many good fixtures, like motion detector, automatic start and loop, rotating lens, etc, etc Also can be used like a photo/video mini home camera. Easy to load the files to a computer or DVD, and connecting it to a LED TV.

A nice toy.

post-183983-0-53014600-1403512877_thumb.

Edited by umbanda

I think they were desperately trying to get away from the Falang playing ABBA in his pickup Mr D...

ABBA???... Really? [emoji23]

And in less than a week you get an accident on your cam... I haven't had one in two years!!! [emoji30]

A bit 'strange' someone wishing to capture an accident on his camera ... to justify the purchase?

One might have thought that like insurance, it's something you would never want to use..... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Nearest ive cme to running into someones rear has been for 2 Reasons. Firstly , not reading set ups for hours .Secondly fiddling with the bloody gadgets when driving. Sat Navs, Cameras,Music,Phones ive given upon now im older. That Camera Sucker would fall off in a week ,just like my old Garmin.thumbsup.gif

Nearest ive cme to running into someones rear has been for 2 Reasons. Firstly , not reading set ups for hours .Secondly fiddling with the bloody gadgets when driving. Sat Navs, Cameras,Music,Phones ive given upon now im older. That Camera Sucker would fall off in a week ,just like my old Garmin.thumbsup.gif

Buy yourself a top spec mazda 3. it won't allow you to run into the car in front.... as long as you are doing 30km/h or less.

On topic though I just fitted a blackvue wifi dr550gw-2ch camera set-up to my car. works a treat, video quality is amazing.After 5 minutes of inactivity it goes into parking mode (it records 24/7, but will switch off when vehicle battery level is low to prevent flat battery) and comes alive when movement is detected. The wifi has a range of about 10 metres so I can sit here at my desk and open the app on my phone and see what is happening with the car or play back vids already recorded.

• Like 1

Not the good quality UV protected ones made for the Asian climate don't... The only time mine has moved is when I released the suction clamp to reposition it or show the insurance rep the video...

Gotta get the Asian good quality version [emoji106]

A bit 'strange' someone wishing to capture an accident on his camera ... to justify the purchase?

One might have thought that like insurance, it's something you would never want to use..... rolleyes.gif

Ok then, as my last post was removed I'll try again in a more "diplomatic manner"...

bkkjames

You obviously didn't see the icon at the end of my comment... The sigh of relief icon...? [emoji30]

Top Chalern James....

I mean honestly! Who in their right mind "wishes" to see and record an accident to justify the purchase of a camera??

utter madness to even think such a thing

Read & Digest James Read and Digest

Ok then, as my last post was removed I'll try again in a more "diplomatic manner"...

bkkjames

You obviously didn't see the icon at the end of my comment... The sigh of relief icon...? [emoji30]

Top Chalern James....

I mean honestly! Who in their right mind "wishes" to see and record an accident to justify the purchase of a camera??

utter madness to even think such a thing

Read & Digest James Read and Digest

Mate I was having a go at you because of your other post about Triton versus Navara...it's easy to be a... If one wants. I know cause I have plenty of experience ;)

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app