Snake identification

SOMeTOM

90% sure it is a banded kukri snake. Non venomous eats bugs, frogs etc. Other possibility a wolf snake again non venomous. No way is it a cobra. Another big kill for the Great White Hunter.

The snake in his pictures doesn't have bands at all. In my opnion and Google's massive archive of snake pictures of kukri snakes proves you wrong, sorry.

It absolutely looks like a black cobra, highly venumoues.

So if it is a black cobra why is it green? Green cobras are extremely rare. Banded Kukri snakes don't always have bands and divided into many subtypes. It just goes to show how difficult snakes are to identify especially from pics like this. Most cobra pics are with their hoods extended. Sometimes only a scale count can identify a species. If the OP hadn't disposed of the snake we could have had a proper id. Everything else is pure conjecture. If it was a cobra I'm sure the dog that bit it would have been dead by now.

If you saw this snake you'd be terrified but it's harmless. Been bitten by them dozens of times, I used to breed them.

post-202194-0-27207000-1402803437_thumb.

The photo color seems a bit off, but the close up of the head and scales looks like a cobra to me as well.

Cobras are usually brown to black and their tongue is usually pink. If the OP opens the mouth then we can see the huge fangs.

Sorry but i disposed off it already, also i don't think i want to do that either, i will keep my doubt and snake policy, if it comes into the house/land, it's bye bye snake.....i am aware that many are not dangerous, but the problem is that i am not so good in recognizing them, i usually have lots of bright green ones climbing banana trees, lately i got a few of this too.

I don't know if it makes much difference or not, but when it came head to head with the Little White Hunter ( my dog is the size of about 3 cats, maybe 2 and a half, ah ah), i clearly heard a loud hissing sound, so strong i thought it was a cat down there, then, little missus bite the beast and started banging it on the floor, left and right to presumably avoiding being bitten back, then i grab a machete and end up the struggle.

Doggie it's still okay, so, either didn't get bitten or it was not venomous.

Thanks

The bright green THIN snakes with long heads are harmless they are Green Tree Racers or similar. The bight green fatter snakes with wide heads and cat's eyes are Pit Vipers, very dangerous, but they don't stick around for long and and usually stay in trees.

You're best defense against snakes is a laundry basket. Just throw it over the snake and put a weight on it and get a Thai to remove it. Remember cobras can jump two metres in the air if they want to and bite you on they way down.

Here's a good website to help allay some of your fears:

http://www.thailandsnakes.com/tag/green-snake/

The photo color seems a bit off, but the close up of the head and scales looks like a cobra to me as well.

Cobras are usually brown to black and their tongue is usually pink. If the OP opens the mouth then we can see the huge fangs.

Sorry but i disposed off it already, also i don't think i want to do that either, i will keep my doubt and snake policy, if it comes into the house/land, it's bye bye snake.....i am aware that many are not dangerous, but the problem is that i am not so good in recognizing them, i usually have lots of bright green ones climbing banana trees, lately i got a few of this too.

I don't know if it makes much difference or not, but when it came head to head with the Little White Hunter ( my dog is the size of about 3 cats, maybe 2 and a half, ah ah), i clearly heard a loud hissing sound, so strong i thought it was a cat down there, then, little missus bite the beast and started banging it on the floor, left and right to presumably avoiding being bitten back, then i grab a machete and end up the struggle.

Doggie it's still okay, so, either didn't get bitten or it was not venomous.

Thanks

Sorry but i disposed off it alreadyfacepalm.gif Man, cobla vely good fo eating! thumbsup.gif

Edited by Tchooptip

All show and not much go, the Cobra's. Get yourselves into the seat of an old cruiser bouncing along a dirt outback road in Australia and an Eastern Brown Snake pops it head out from under the passenger seat, angry as all shit and happy to chase you out of the car irregardless of the speed your travlin at.

Cobras are pussy snakes !

Love your double entendre

I don't know. Is this against the rules? If so I apologize to the OP, and mods please take it down.

I simply tried to lighten and color balance the pics because I'd like to know what it is. There aren't enough pixels to get them right, but I pushed as much as I could.

post-164212-0-25268000-1402808618_thumb. post-164212-0-17909300-1402808624_thumb.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Good work gents. It's definately a King Cobra (Ophiophagus Hannah). The mouth and scales on the head are a giveaway. I'd guess it was a juvenile snake.

As young Kings have distinctive striped markings which fade as they enter adulthood.

They are very rare in Thailand these days Mr SOMe TAMe you are lucky to have seen a King in the flesh. Some herps go all their lives without ever seeing one. Where do you live if I may ask?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_cobra#mediaviewer/File:Ophiophagus_hannah_head.jpg

Showed the picture my FIL and he said it's a Cobra - serp serp.

He doesn't like vipers to eat as they are to small but if he catches one it ends up in his Lao Khao with a lot of herbs. This year so far he took five snakes from around our home.

He doesn't like vipers to eat as they are to small but if he catches one it ends up in his Lao Khao with a lot of herbs. This year so far he took five snakes from around our home.

So he infuses the lao khao with snakes, then drinks the lao khao?

They are very rare in Thailand these days Mr SOMe TAMe you are lucky to have seen a King in the flesh. Some herps go all their lives without ever seeing one. Where do you live if I may ask?

If this is "luck"......well, i actually have seen another Cobra a few years back, no doubts that time because it's wasn't hideing somewhere but going trough the fields in the typical Cobra's way, with his head up and a large "hood".

That time it was about 3 meters away, we both had a look at each others and then the Cobra went back from where he came from, heading towards the woodlands.

I live at the footsteps of the Khao Yai national park, in one of the many micro-villages around it.

I read that in this park there are still bears, tigers, crocks and leopards in the wilderness...

Plenty of "whiskey" bottles with small and large snakes inside, at the Chinatown's market in Bangkok, some people made a business out of it.

Sorry but i disposed off it alreadyfacepalm.gif Man, cobla vely good fo eating! thumbsup.gif

Some people around here likes to eat snakes, but as far as i know, around here they eat anything that moves really, including ants, rats, etc.

A local Mom&Pop store, which always sell cheap noodles with meat inside, always had lots of dogs there, then, little by little they disappeared....i am wondering how they manage to keep their noodles's prices so low and from where that meat originated from, just a thought.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes he does and also does it with Scorpions.

Some people around here likes to eat snakes, but as far as i know, around here they eat anything that moves really, including ants, rats, etc.

A local Mom&Pop store, which always sell cheap noodles with meat inside, always had lots of dogs there, then, little by little they disappeared....i am wondering how they manage to keep their noodles's prices so low and from where that meat originated from, just a thought.

Seems they have moved onto Poodle Soup.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sorry but i disposed off it already alt=facepalm.gif> Man, cobla vely good fo eating! alt=thumbsup.gif>

LOL - The Noodle shop must be broke because in Sakon Nakhon where I live dog meat is more expensive then beef because Indochina pushes up the prices.

Edited by MobileContent

I think little miss hairy and python were fighting over that 10baht coin..!!

Perhaps it was just some sort of a "Charon's obol"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charon's_obol/

EDIT:

this is the second time i try to repost the link, there is a technical problem with this forum as it doesn't seems to accept the " ' " as part of a link, you will have to type it by yourself in the address's bar to make it work.

Edited by SOMeTOM

All show and not much go, the Cobra's. Get yourselves into the seat of an old cruiser bouncing along a dirt outback road in Australia and an Eastern Brown Snake pops it head out from under the passenger seat, angry as all shit and happy to chase you out of the car irregardless of the speed your travlin at.

Cobras are pussy snakes !

Love your double entendre

LOL, That's the way the neverdie peRsona runs here...... it normally goes unnoticed unless an equally sick individual picks up on it. ;):P

• Like 1

I think little miss hairy and python were fighting over that 10baht coin..!!

Perhaps it was just some sort of a "Charon's obol"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charon's_obol/

EDIT:

this is the second time i try to repost the link, there is a technical problem with this forum as it doesn't seems to accept the " ' " as part of a link, you will have to type it by yourself in the address's bar to make it work.

Use the URL BBCode, SOMeTOM. Much easier and cleaner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charon_obol

Edited by wooloomooloo

• 2 months later...