Cambodian labour exodus from Thailand continues today

Lite Beer

Love of money in Thailand is the greatest evil.

Funny a people who want to see themselves as Buddists being so so materialistic.

Everything here is about money.

Relationships

Family

Even religion

People are for sale here

But all and all--back on topic now--I would be worried if I were even a farang working in Thailand. This clean up of workers could easily go over to Farangs soon.

I know...... it's terrible isn't it. You never see farangs here who are obsessed with money or who bang on about the value of the dollar to the baht. whistling.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would I be right in stating that many here supported the illegals working here for a pittance (less than minimum wage) and some may have employed illegals but they are totally against corruption, and abuse of power? Other than the fact it's exploitation and more than likely against the law to employ illegals, it's perfectly okay?

I can't get my head around that logic, I read on some FB pages that restaurant owners/managers were very upset about this, as in losing all their staff, would it not have been in their best interests to have registered legal aliens on their books, rather than taking the chance and be breaking some kind of law?

If the Junta have said they were going to clamp down on illegal aliens, why hasn't this been met with the same praise as all the other clamp downs? A bit too close to home for many?

I don't believe that tens of thousands are "fleeing" just because of a rumour, they say there's no smoke without fire wink.png

Can't see why you'd be applauding this move if you have any concern for the welfare of these workers, Fat Haggis. The fact you talk about exploitation makes it sound like you do, but we're not talking about people trafficked and sold into slavery being freed here. We're generally talking about people who have made the choice to come to Thailand as the opportunities for them in Cambodia & Myanmar are so dire. Yes, they are exploited in Thailand, but they are more exploited in Cambodia. It's a choice of greater vs lesser exploitation. Now many of them are going back to families in rural areas of Cambodia who are already struggling without extra mouths to feed. Of course there is little work and little hope in these areas, or the migrants would have never left in the first place. And that's in the best case scenario, some of them have worked in Thailand for years and have no home to return to in Cambodia.

I can't see why anyone would be applauding thousands of people fleeing in fear, frankly. Yes, conditions can be improved but cracking down in this manner is punishing no one but these migrants themselves. These are people that are on the margins, living precariously from day to day, at the edges of the system with none of the protections that citizens are entitled to. What they were doing before the coup was working on a process to make it easier for migrants to register legally, some already were under the NV program, but it's been very difficult to get visas renewed since the start of the crisis. And apparently even many of those who are legal are leaving out of fear they'll be caught up in the crackdown which isn't happening.

Nope, can't see anything positive about these moves if you're concerned about the rights of migrants and exploitation. More likely it's going to put them in a position where it's more easy to exploit them as they become more desperate. But don't rely on me for info, talk to someone who works with migrants and ask them for their opinion on this crackdown. I'd be surprised if there are any that support these moves.

You see that's the thing, I'm not applauding it, the impact is quite obvious, it's the double standards in accepting that there is without a shadow of a doubt a high degree of "exploitation" of these individuals going on that is deemed acceptable, I just don't understand why it's acceptable to "bend the rules" over certain issues, corruption is a no no but exploitation is acceptable? When the Junta have called for transparency in all things, so you would agree that the Junta has got this one wrong ??

I totally understand that all they're doing was looking for work, and work that Thai's wouldn't lower themselves to do, now, hasn't the General stated on many occasions now the coup was for the benefit of the Thai people, do you think that he's perhaps looking at those who are exploiting the Cambodians, and those there illegally, now in a very hard way is saying, "employ Thai's on the minimum wage" Thai Jobs for Thai people? I don't know, I don't think this was a smart move either.

I actually don't agree with any sort of purge, but if this was a Junta directive, it's an unpopular one, and at the end of the day, the people of Thailand have to accept that surely?

Not very smart. Thailand will shut down without laborers. No way are the millions of loafing Thais, lying on their hammocks going to replace this lot.

Maybe the Thai employers will have to pay a living wage to Thai people, instead of slave wages to illegal workers.
Bingo.....

And with that will come higher export and domestic costs.

Last thing a country dependent on immigrants needs is a sudden massive drop in semi skilled labour overnight before training a domestic one. With virtually 100% employment too that is going to be a rather hard gap to fill with whos left out of work.

There isn't virtually 100% employment by a normal.western measure, and it is by making companies pay 300 that they will be compelled to improve and increase efficiency.

It is the same problem in the UK with a limitless supply of minimum wage workers from Europe. There is no need to increase productivity, because the supply of labour at the lowest end is very large.

It is essentially impossible to reach full employment because the supply extends beyond your own population. The point of economic development is not to keep filling minimum wage jobs with foreign employees.

I don't see the benefit in filling hundreds of thousands of jobs with low end foreigners. Great, your condo got cheaper. And it doesn't go up in value either because the labour to produce it stays at 300 baht forever.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

If they are illegal they should leave, if they are legal no problem. I wish the US would do the same with Nancy Pelosi's "undocumented workers".

If for years they've been tolerated because they were useful then that is tacit approval. So it isn't quite as simple as your view point suggests. If they've been given tacit approval over the years then their situation isn't their fault, it's the fault of Thailand. So they should be treated humanely, not as criminals or animals. Throwing people into the back of trucks is worse than most criminals are treated, it's more like the way animals are treated on their way to the slaughterhouse.

And as for the US, what difference would it make if these undocumented workers had documents? Granted, it might help a little in terms of tax and it would benefit them in terms of rights. But what difference would it make to you? They would still be the same color, they would still be in the country, they would still be different to you and so you would just justify your hatred differently.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"Throwing people into the back of trucks is worse than most criminals are treated, it's more like the way animals are treated on their way to the slaughterhouse."

​Where is the evidence of this?

"And as for the US, what difference would it make if these undocumented workers had documents? "

YES!!!

"They would still be the same color, they would still be in the country, they would still be different to you and so you would just justify your hatred differently."

The only one who alluded to this is you, is this the way YOU think?

It's nice to know you are pro-slavery. A proper process for needed immigration or temporary work permit assures Thai's that want employment can get it at a better wage. When more workers are needed employers should bring them in "legally" and pay them the going rate instead of screwing them. In the long run immigrant or guest workers will make more money and receive better treatment. Cleaning up a huge mess is not easy, short term pain for long term gain, or status quo of abuse which you appear to think is better for them.

The same can be said for any other country that faces these problems.

Wait a minute, wait a minute.

It might be the case that the supposed mass exit of non-Thai workers out of Thailand is a good thing.

Yes, condos are not going to be completed, and less people working in restaurants and other places. But, off-course, it means they will have to pay local Thai people more money to do those very jobs.

Yes, there's Thai men who constantly sleep in hammocks during the day, refusing to work, but if you paid them enough money, surely, they will work ??

Paying more wages to get Thais to work is good for Thailand. The people who are from the poorer sectors of Thai society will surely, benefit from this situation ??

It might even be the case, that a load of Thais who normally vote for Thaksin are now going to cheer on the new government. After all, it is the new government who are causing Thai companies (large and small) to pay higher wages.

And no, the above has not been written with sarcasm ! smile.png

nonsense! There is a 350 baht minimum daily wage in Bkk,300 baht elsewhere,and some Thais , not all,dont want to do honest work for that amount.They would rather go without,rely on friends or family or "other means"

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, King Alfred, a lot of Thais are simply not going to work for 350 baht per day. But, if a shortage of workers means companies (large and small) having to pay higher wages, say 500 or 600 baht per day, well, this will probably encourage the Thais to come out and work. And it will mean that Thais who are presently on 300 or 350 baht per day will also be on the new higher wages.

I don't reckon it's a bad thing if the lower-paid Thais get higher wages.

" a lot of Thais are simply not going to work for 350 baht per day." - that old chestnut? It's rolled out in all sorts of immigration arguments and is NEVER true.

Absolutely true! and at that point you bring in immigrant workers and give the loafers squat!

122,000 Cambodians flee from Thailand
The Nation
Agence France-Presse

30236334-01_big.jpg?1402872802798

Unregistered workers feared crackdown by military, officials say

BANGKOK: -- MORE THAN 120,000 Cambodians have fled Thailand to return home in the past week, fearing a crackdown on migrant workers after last month's military takeover, an official said yesterday.

The mass exodus of labourers - who play a key role in Thai industries such as seafood and agriculture but often lack official work permits - comes amid a junta warning of arrest and deportation for illegal foreign workers.

"They're returning en masse like a dam collapsing. They've never come en masse like this before in our history," Kor Sam Saroeut, governor of the northwestern province of Banteay Meanchey where the main border crossing is, told AFP.

Around 122,000 Cambodians have returned from Thailand in the last week after being transported to the border by Thai military trucks or making their own way, he said late yesterday.

"They said they are scared of being arrested or shot if they run when Thai authorities check their houses," Saroeut added. "Most of them went to work in Thailand without a work permit."

Sirichan Ngathong, a spokeswoman for the Thai Army which seized power in a coup on May 22, had said last Wednesday the junta viewed illegal migrants as a "threat" and they faced arrest and deportation.

But two days later the Thai foreign ministry dismissed "rumours" the army was deporting Cambodian labourers and later yesterday released a new statement citing spokesman Sek Wannamethee as saying: "No crackdown order targeting Cambodian workers had been issued by the NCPO (junta body)."

As a result of the rumours, "Cambodian illegal workers have reported themselves to the Thai authorities for being repatriated voluntarily to Cambodia" the statement said, adding that Thai immigration officials had provided transport for them.

Stranded at border

More than 12,000 migrant workers crossed the border to Cambodia yesterday alone, according to Saroeut, who expects many more to make the journey over the new few days.

Thousands were sheltering from the rain at local Buddhist temples and a market as they waited for transport to their home provinces.

Cambodian authorities have arranged nearly 300 cars and military trucks to ferry workers home from the Aranyaprathet-Poipet border checkpoint but many would have to stay near the site overnight until transport became available, Saroeut said.

At the smaller border checkpoint of Boeung Trakuon, south of Poipet, around 1,000 Cambodian men and women walked across the border with heavy bags and children in tow, said a local journalist.

Chea Thea, a 33-year-old construction worker, said she returned to Cambodia two days ago in a convoy of 20 cars organised by Thai authorities - deciding to leave after seeing her compatriots were departing in large numbers. "Cambodian migrants are coming back. We feel scared," she told AFP from her parents' home in the northwestern province of Battambang.

"When the situation is better I may go back," Thea said.

Soum Chankea, a coordinator for Cambodian rights group Adhoc who has met many workers at the border, said the number of returnees was growing each day.

"They keep coming, more and more. Thousands more have arrived in Poipet (border checkpoint) this morning," he told AFP by telephone.

Six Cambodian workers and a Thai driver transporting them to the border province of Sa Kaeo died in an accident early Sunday, said Thai police official Sommart Meungmuti. The accident, which left another 12 people injured, is suspected to have been caused by a bursting tyre, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-16

Large numbers work illegally. They pay 1000 bt a head to the bag man for protection. Maybe because the bag man is scared to collect they feel in danger.

This will stop plenty of businesses or make them get legal.

I have Thai friends that have pub restaurants in BKK, they can not get Thai workers ( or maybe it is the salary they want ) most of the service staff are Cambodian or Vietnamese.

Its not that thai workers are not willing to work, its more like owners are looking for cheaper labor.

And will always find it in a person that, for whatever reasons, will work for less pay. Everyone doesn't have the same standard of living requirements or maybe they don't have to make rent or maybe they are young and aren't saddled with financial liabilities and obligations. How many are simply to have a job because they can't find any work in their home countries?

This is what the "minimum wage" people don't get. Some people demand a "living wage" for an adult with financial responsibilities and obligations for a job that is entry-level that a young person could do. Guess what's going to happen when higher and higher minimum wage laws are enacted?

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

it is a good thing what the Thai police and Army do? OMG before you writing such stupid comments get some information,

Thailand was the only country (I repeat for you the only COUNTRY) what vote against the "Punishment of persons who profit from human trafficking"

in the UN General Assembly last week.

This shows clear what illegal workers can expect in Thailand, every week this workers get killed by thai people for joke, like happend in PTY now, a

volleyball team beat a Cambodian worker to death without any reason on his way to 7/11, he was working next to my condo construction,

I can see like the police put all their forces in getting this Thais.

Censored Press without any real News only News for Happiness and Show, why they should trust anybody in Thailand? Do You really trust this Junta?

I thought Thai are not good educated and can not see the Reallity but it seems also the Farangs believe in the censored press, may be to many Americans and British here, they believe their press and goverment everything, even for the price of a war

Actually Thailand reversed their vote.

I expect a clampdown on ALL foreigners in breach of any immigration law soon. Zero tolerance on late signings, no work permit, incorrect visas, those wishing to get "O" visas.....the borders were tightened on the weeks leading up to the coup, i expect there will be a new "literal" interpretation of a lot of other laws too .....they've targeted driving laws, next should be internet, alcohol and sex industry laws?

What do you mean the internet is "next"? It's happening daily, now. And the "sex industry laws"? Oh, the "laws" will still be there as they are now, but attempting to enforce them would be as impractical as it is attempting to enforce parking and traffic laws ... unless Thailand goes totalitarian.

• Like 1

it is a good thing what the Thai police and Army do? OMG before you writing such stupid comments get some information,

Thailand was the only country (I repeat for you the only COUNTRY) what vote against the "Punishment of persons who profit from human trafficking"

in the UN General Assembly last week.

This shows clear what illegal workers can expect in Thailand, every week this workers get killed by thai people for joke, like happend in PTY now, a

volleyball team beat a Cambodian worker to death without any reason on his way to 7/11, he was working next to my condo construction,

I can see like the police put all their forces in getting this Thais.

Censored Press without any real News only News for Happiness and Show, why they should trust anybody in Thailand? Do You really trust this Junta?

I thought Thai are not good educated and can not see the Reallity but it seems also the Farangs believe in the censored press, may be to many Americans and British here, they believe their press and goverment everything, even for the price of a war

Actually Thailand reversed their vote.

The appearance of agreement is one thing; implementation and enforcement is something else.

Ref. Article

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 2

Damning editorial on this in the BKK Post. Good to see the Post editors are not completely credulous and, unlike many others, they still seem to have some backbone. Actually the Post is one of the few news sources for which my esteem has gone up post-coup. Article is titled "A culture of exploitation" if anyone is interested.

But Thailands people says with a clear voice when falang is working in Thailand - "Falang come to Thailand and take Thailands money"! But I cant hear a single shit when 122.000 people from Cambodja comes and work without permission here in Thailand..

OPS They are not falang... they are just looking like thai.... so that makes it OK than"!!!!

Glegolo

• Like 1

I expect a clampdown on ALL foreigners in breach of any immigration law soon. Zero tolerance on late signings, no work permit, incorrect visas, those wishing to get "O" visas.....the borders were tightened on the weeks leading up to the coup, i expect there will be a new "literal" interpretation of a lot of other laws too .....they've targeted driving laws, next should be internet, alcohol and sex industry laws?

What do you mean the internet is "next"? It's happening daily, now. And the "sex industry laws"? Oh, the "laws" will still be there as they are now, but attempting to enforce them would be as impractical as it is attempting to enforce parking and traffic laws ... unless Thailand goes totalitarian.

"Clampdown" - this implies an INCREASE in this sort of activity....see today's thread about SIM cards.

"unless Thailand goes totalitarian." - now there's an interesting comment.

Edited by wilcopops

You see that's the thing, I'm not applauding it, the impact is quite obvious, it's the double standards in accepting that there is without a shadow of a doubt a high degree of "exploitation" of these individuals going on that is deemed acceptable, I just don't understand why it's acceptable to "bend the rules" over certain issues, corruption is a no no but exploitation is acceptable? When the Junta have called for transparency in all things, so you would agree that the Junta has got this one wrong ??

I totally understand that all they're doing was looking for work, and work that Thai's wouldn't lower themselves to do, now, hasn't the General stated on many occasions now the coup was for the benefit of the Thai people, do you think that he's perhaps looking at those who are exploiting the Cambodians, and those there illegally, now in a very hard way is saying, "employ Thai's on the minimum wage" Thai Jobs for Thai people? I don't know, I don't think this was a smart move either.

I actually don't agree with any sort of purge, but if this was a Junta directive, it's an unpopular one, and at the end of the day, the people of Thailand have to accept that surely?

Yes, I can see where you're coming from. Actually I saw Michael Yon posting on this and a reader of his page said her workers had gone back to Cambodia. Assuming they were illegal (which they wouldn't necessarily be as some legally registered workers are leaving too), I wondered why such a fierce campaigner against corruption - she appeared to be a big PDRC supporter, as you'd expect on Yon's page - would be disregarding the law in such a flagrant manner...

Anyway, what you say is true in theory, but in practice many crackdowns which are supposed to help those being exploited (even if genuinely well-meaning) end up hurting them more than helping. I think the NYT had an article recently when the Somaly Mam case broke about how the celebrity campaigning which brought about crackdowns on sex workers had often been more of a hindrance than a help to the sex workers themselves. Heavyhanded crackdowns by Cambodian police on prostitution had actually made some them more vulnerable to exploitation as they were forced into more desperate situations in order to survive. Studies also showed that the vast majority had chosen to do the work of their own accord. That's why many people who work full time with sex workers are wary of people who jump in and urge that something be done without really knowing the full reality of it and what's at stake for the individuals involved. Also authorities are often not equipped to deal with vulnerable and damaged people.

Of course, that refers to adult sex workers and underage prostitution is a different matter and obviously doesn't involve any consent. That's where the crackdowns should be focused. And it's the same with the issue at hand. Illegal migrants are being conflated with the slaves trapped on ships, when really they're two separate issues. The former group have mostly come of their own accord in order to better their lives - yes, they are exploited, but less exploited than they would be in Cambodia - whereas slaves had absolutely no choice. If there was a serious crackdown on slavery, I would be wholeheartedly behind it, as I think anyone would. But it's those doing the enslaving that should suffer. Those who have been enslaved must be treated with care and sensitivity, not just dumped back across the border.

You probably realize all this already, just seems that people are lumping the slavery issue in with illegal migration generally. But the majority of illegal immigrants are not trafficked and enslaved, they are just very poor people who want to improve their circumstances.

• Like 2

"Official statistics show that a total of 441,569 Cambodian workers have registered with the Employment Department." Someones been putting the horrors into these people if they are scurrying home in large numbers and their here legally.

As an expat living in LOS.....should I be scurrying anytime soon?

A holiday in Cambodia might be refreshing!

Yes, King Alfred, a lot of Thais are simply not going to work for 350 baht per day. But, if a shortage of workers means companies (large and small) having to pay higher wages, say 500 or 600 baht per day, well, this will probably encourage the Thais to come out and work. And it will mean that Thais who are presently on 300 or 350 baht per day will also be on the new higher wages.

I don't reckon it's a bad thing if the lower-paid Thais get higher wages.

" a lot of Thais are simply not going to work for 350 baht per day." - that old chestnut? It's rolled out in all sorts of immigration arguments and is NEVER true.

Absolutely true! and at that point you bring in immigrant workers and give the loafers squat!

This shows a profound lack of understanding of the mechanisms that bring immigrants into countries......it is EMPLOYERS not staff that decide who to employ and what to pay....this is dictated by what they refer to as market forces or others may call profit motive.

• Like 1

To all those who wrote on #140, okay, let's try to agree on something.
If they really do remove all the unregistered Cambodians, and others as well, this will mean a labour shortage in Thailand ? Hey, how about remove all the Cambodians who are registered as well, this will create an even greater shortage.
Right, all these building sites, hotels, restaurants, etc, they will still need to have staff at their places. If they offer 350 baht to the local Thais, well, we know that the local Thais are NOT going to fill the vacancies. They will carry on doing what they're doing now, as in sleeping in hammocks during the day and being a bunch of bums and loafers.

Okay, give them 500 or 600 baht per day, this will mean that there will be Thais working at those places.
See, to me, with all these foreigners in Thailand, those foreigners are competing with the local Thais in the 350 baht wage group. How to improve the situation for Thailand's poor ? How about remove the foreigners who are competing against Thailand's poor for low wage jobs ?

Surely, all of us want to see Thailand's poor being better off ????

• Like 1

Yes, I can see where you're coming from. Actually I saw Michael Yon posting on this and a reader of his page said her workers had gone back to Cambodia. Assuming they were illegal (which they wouldn't necessarily be as some legally registered workers are leaving too), I wondered why such a fierce campaigner against corruption - she appeared to be a big PDRC supporter, as you'd expect on Yon's page - would be disregarding the law in such a flagrant manner...

Anyway, what you say is true in theory, but in practice many crackdowns which are supposed to help those being exploited (even if genuinely well-meaning) end up hurting them more than helping. I think the NYT had an article recently when the Somaly Mam case broke about how the celebrity campaigning which brought about crackdowns on sex workers had often been more of a hindrance than a help to the sex workers themselves. Heavyhanded crackdowns by Cambodian police on prostitution had actually made some them more vulnerable to exploitation as they were forced into more desperate situations in order to survive. Studies also showed that the vast majority had chosen to do the work of their own accord. That's why many people who work full time with sex workers are wary of people who jump in and urge that something be done without really knowing the full reality of it and what's at stake for the individuals involved. Also authorities are often not equipped to deal with vulnerable and damaged people.

Of course, that refers to adult sex workers and underage prostitution is a different matter and obviously doesn't involve any consent. That's where the crackdowns should be focused. And it's the same with the issue at hand. Illegal migrants are being conflated with the slaves trapped on ships, when really they're two separate issues. The former group have mostly come of their own accord in order to better their lives - yes, they are exploited, but less exploited than they would be in Cambodia - whereas slaves had absolutely no choice. If there was a serious crackdown on slavery, I would be wholeheartedly behind it, as I think anyone would. But it's those doing the enslaving that should suffer. Those who have been enslaved must be treated with care and sensitivity, not just dumped back across the border.

You probably realize all this already, just seems that people are lumping the slavery issue in with illegal migration generally. But the majority of illegal immigrants are not trafficked and enslaved, they are just very poor people who want to improve their circumstances.

For God's sake, Micheal Yon's page again ? :)

The Thais who had a bit of money and who also supported Suthep with their whistles. They was cheering on a new system that would end the mass corruption. However, some (but not all) of them hated Thaksin, because Thaksin was (supposedly) improving things for the poor, or the peasants.

These particular Thais (ones that have got money) want to have a stack of registered and illegal foreign workers in Thailand. These foreign workers are keeping wages low for the Thais who are earning 350 baht. A lot of rich people in Thailand want to see a continuation of the exploitation of the poor in Thailand (and indeed, exploitation of foreign workers). And off-course, giving jobs to the foreigners, it's nothing to do with being good to foreigners, it's all about cheap labour boosting profits.

The general (junta) is trying to remove corruption, and make things better for Thailand. Yes, the removal of cheap foreign labour in Thailand will hopefully mean a lot of Thais who earn 350 baht will see their pay go up to 500 or 600 baht a day. Surely, this is good for Thailand ????

• Like 2

I wonder when all the NES teaching w/o work permits are going to bail on their employers. When that rats start to jump ship, it's a good time to check in integrity of the hull.

I remember many years ago a similar crackdown taking place on Phuket. There was universal outrage. It made front page news for some days. And who were the Outraged? The Thai employers. They said the immigrants, comprising mainly Burmese and Cambodians, worked for far less than that which they'd have to pay a Thai, if they could find one to actually work. They also added that immigrants don't 'job hop' and turn up for work. The 'crackdown' was reversed soon after.

You will not find a Thai to work for 300 baht per day on Phuket. !000 might pique their interest. For how long, who can say?

• Like 1

Damning editorial on this in the BKK Post. Good to see the Post editors are not completely credulous and, unlike many others, they still seem to have some backbone. Actually the Post is one of the few news sources for which my esteem has gone up post-coup. Article is titled "A culture of exploitation" if anyone is interested.

You are right it is very damning but it is also one sided, full of innuendo and in some case not true.

For instance they state that Cambodian sources told them there have been '9 alleged deaths by troops', without specifying what these deaths were, saying the army had killed these people.

You and I know that 7 of these deaths were from a road accident, I have not heard of the other two. This is at the least dishonest and intended to promote anti military feeling particularly among human rights organisations and foreign Governments.

The same goes for the claim that people are being "Crammed inhumanely into army trucks" while in fact they are being given free transport where no other exists.

The 'left stranded' bit is the same, this is due to lack of transport on the Cambodian side of the border and can not be blamed on Thailand.

It is a tragedy that this has happened, particularly for the people involved for they were only here trying to improve their lives.

I see some of these people daily working on building sites, they are happy, hard working and skilled, they live in conditions and for pay that you and I would not tolerate.

To use them as pawns in some attempt to discredit the military, which is what is happening. is reprehensible.

While saying that, the army could have done a far better job of the original announcements making it clear that they did not want to harm these people rather the aim was to get them all to register for employment.

Oh, and no sympathy to those whose house wont be finished of their grass cut.

• Like 2

I remember many years ago a similar crackdown taking place on Phuket. There was universal outrage. It made front page news for some days. And who were the Outraged? The Thai employers. They said the immigrants, comprising mainly Burmese and Cambodians, worked for far less than that which they'd have to pay a Thai, if they could find one to actually work. They also added that immigrants don't 'job hop' and turn up for work. The 'crackdown' was reversed soon after.

You will not find a Thai to work for 300 baht per day on Phuket. !000 might pique their interest. For how long, who can say?

Earning 300 baht a day on Phuket hardly covers the cost of rent, let alone covers the cost of travel and living costs. So you cannot blame Thai people for refusing to work for the minimum daily wage unless they can earn a higher rate, which would cover the exceptionally high-living costs to live on the island, in stark contrast to the rest of Thailand. For example, as you said, 1000 baht per day would be considered a minimum fair days pay.

Edited by MK1

Earning 300 baht a day on Phuket hardly covers the cost of rent, let alone covers the cost of travel and living costs. So you cannot blame Thai people for refusing to work for the minimum daily wage unless they can earn a higher rate, which would cover the exceptionally high-living costs to live on the island, in stark contrast to the rest of Thailand. For example, as you said, 1000 baht per day would be considered a minimum fair days pay.

But 'lesser species' such as Cambos and Burmese can do it right? 300 per day x around 30 (give or take) days = 9000 Per month. Not bad. I've had a couple of times where I did it. But I'm not a drinker/smoker/monger.

Edited by jpeg

You are right it is very damning but it is also one sided, full of innuendo and in some case not true.

For instance they state that Cambodian sources told them there have been '9 alleged deaths by troops', without specifying what these deaths were, saying the army had killed these people.

You and I know that 7 of these deaths were from a road accident, I have not heard of the other two. This is at the least dishonest and intended to promote anti military feeling particularly among human rights organisations and foreign Governments.

The same goes for the claim that people are being "Crammed inhumanely into army trucks" while in fact they are being given free transport where no other exists.

The 'left stranded' bit is the same, this is due to lack of transport on the Cambodian side of the border and can not be blamed on Thailand.

It is a tragedy that this has happened, particularly for the people involved for they were only here trying to improve their lives.

I see some of these people daily working on building sites, they are happy, hard working and skilled, they live in conditions and for pay that you and I would not tolerate.

To use them as pawns in some attempt to discredit the military, which is what is happening. is reprehensible.

While saying that, the army could have done a far better job of the original announcements making it clear that they did not want to harm these people rather the aim was to get them all to register for employment.

Oh, and no sympathy to those whose house wont be finished of their grass cut.

Unless mistaken the reports (unvalidated, yes) regarding the killings of 9 Cambodians appeared a day or two before the road

accident which claimed 7 lives (6 Cambodians and the Thai driver).

I have no idea if the rumors are true, but interesting that the Cambodians were so easy to see them as such that quickly.

Being an illegal immigrant is living in a state of anxiety, makes it easier for rumors to spread. On the other hand, as illegal

immigrants, people are at greater risk of being exploited and being mistreated by authorities.

Regardless of how this started, obviously effected and will effect the life of many.

The group working next door still seems oblivious, generally in high spirits.