Apply for extension while multiple visa still valid

A fellow will enter the country with a Non-O multiple.

He gets a 90 day "ADMITTED UNTIL".

About a month before that date he wants to apply for a one year extension (financial requirements already met).

At this time his multiple visa is still valid (ENTER BEFORE).

I have no clue whether this will be any problem.

If extension is approved: what happens with the visa (untouched or stamped "USED", invalid)?

You can apply for an extension up to 30 days before any non immigrant 'Admitted Until' Entry Stamp (45 days at some offices).

Your existing Non Immigrant Multiple Entry Visa would not be marked in any way and could indeed be used again, if your Permission to Stay were to end before your Non Immigrant Visa's 'Use Before' date.

Edited by digitalchromakey

The visas expiration date means nothing for getting an extension of stay. Many people are under the wrong impression that it must be expired but it does not.

An extension of stay can be done during the last 30 or 45 days of any of the 90 day entries the visa allows.

"Your existing Non Immigrant Multiple Entry Visa would not be marked in any way and could indeed be used again, if your Permission to Stay were to end before your Non Immigrant Visa's 'Use Before' date."

Seems to me that the EXTENSION is primary, and if you departed Thailand without first getting a Re-Entry Permit your extension would then be void.

You might be let back in on your earlier visa, but still, the Extension has gone bye bye.

Mac

"Your existing Non Immigrant Multiple Entry Visa would not be marked in any way and could indeed be used again, if your Permission to Stay were to end before your Non Immigrant Visa's 'Use Before' date."

Seems to me that the EXTENSION is primary, and if you departed Thailand without first getting a Re-Entry Permit your extension would then be void.

You might be let back in on your earlier visa, but still, the Extension has gone bye bye.

Mac

Correct

Just did this today in Chiang Mai.

I was on a one-year Non-O based on marriage.

I had used 3 of my 90 day entries.

One week before I had to leave on my third entry, I went to immigration to get a one year extension. Filled out the forms, provided the documentation. They gave me a one month extension of stay while they examined the application in bangkok.

I went in and picked up my 1 year extension, and multiple entry stamp today (about a month later), no problems.

I now have a one year extension dated from the day I made the extension application, not the date I came in on my original visa.

Hope this helps,

John

Just did this today in Chiang Mai.

I was on a one-year Non-O based on marriage.

I had used 3 of my 90 day entries.

One week before I had to leave on my third entry, I went to immigration to get a one year extension. Filled out the forms, provided the documentation. They gave me a one month extension of stay while they examined the application in bangkok.

I went in and picked up my 1 year extension, and multiple entry stamp today (about a month later), no problems.

I now have a one year extension dated from the day I made the extension application, not the date I came in on my original visa.

Hope this helps,

John

These One Year 2.18 Extension of Permission to Stay normally run for 12 months from the last 90 Day Stamp 'Admitted Until' date.

Extensions never run from Thailand Entry Stamp dates.