Yamaha FZ-09 first 500 km

BKKBike09

Good review, but you can fix the suspension for way less than 70K- the Hyperpro kit (rear shock and fork springs) is about $1,000 if you can source it from the US, and a stock 636 shock will fit with some finagling and you can find one on eBay for less than $100- you need to check out a bike-specific forum. From what I've read, the FZ-09 is easily improved without going to expensive, top-shelf components.

Good to hear some real life reviews. I sat on one at the Terminal 21 show and was very impressed with it, really comfortable riding position it almost felt like a SuperMoto. I agree it's a tad over-priced in comparison to some recent imports and of course the locally made bikes but I'd definitely take this over the Z800.

Saw my first one on the roads last week, wasn't being ridden hard but you could still hear that sweet triple - saw it coming and wound down the window for a listen smile.png.

• Like 1

Good review, but you can fix the suspension for way less than 70K- the Hyperpro kit (rear shock and fork springs) is about $1,000 if you can source it from the US, and a stock 636 shock will fit with some finagling and you can find one on eBay for less than $100- you need to check out a bike-specific forum. From what I've read, the FZ-09 is easily improved without going to expensive, top-shelf components.

Thanks RSR. I've spent a lot of time on one of the FZ-09 forums and there are quite a few guys who've fitted a 2008-201 ZX-10 rear shock with, as you say, a bit of finagling. Like I said I've ordered some stiffer Ohlins springs for the front forks and will see how that goes. Picking them up in UK next month - cost about £120. Stock front springs are rated 7.35 N/mm which I'm replacing with 9 N/mm. Will also put heavier oil in.

finally a good local review of fz09.

happy rides!

I test rode on at one of the track days recently and what a monster!!! Suspensions was soft a bit but power and sound of the bike was great! For normal rides the stock suspensions sure are OK.

And gray with blue rims is the best color option IMO, good choice.

That zx6r shock fits but to adjust it, it needed to be removed all the time followed by a a tank and seat removal! And with all those modifications you need to do to install it, better get a recognized brand that is made specifically for the bike.

check Ari Henning's doin' time on mt09. He worked on suspensions on budget but he says he is not fully satisfied with the result.

http://www.motorcycle2013.com/motorcycle-2/yamaha-fz-09-doin-time.html

That zx6r shock fits but to adjust it, it needed to be removed all the time followed by a a tank and seat removal! And with all those modifications you need to do to install it, better get a recognized brand that is made specifically for the bike.

Thanks for the kind words II2.

Actually the workaround on a ZX-10 shock installation is apparently to put it in upside down which then gives access to the various adjustment points. But I agree it all sounds a bit of a hassle.

Thanks for the review!

I made the big mistake to try the Mt-09 just 2 weeks after getting my CB... I should not!

Now I think about it way too much and it starts to be an obsession...

The only down point I see with this bike is the fact that Yamaha Thailand keep importing the poor North American specs bikes which was already a drama when I bought my T-max.

Anyway, no reason for me to keep moaning as we don't have choice....

The replacement of the rear light for a Rizoma type makes the bike look great!

Enjoy your bike and keep us uptodate with your modifications.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The only down point I see with this bike is the fact that Yamaha Thailand keep importing the poor North American specs bikes which was already a drama when I bought my T-max.

Anyway, no reason for me to keep moaning as we don't have choice....

The replacement of the rear light for a Rizoma type makes the bike look great!

Thanks Tomaway.

The standard rear plate holder absolutely has to go! Not having it does mean you get spray in the wet but it looks soooo much better with something shorter. Mine's not Rizoma but from a UK company called SP Engineering.

The other mods I've made are switching over the standard indicators for some generic LED ones (a brand called Kozo, specifically Kozo Universal ones); swapping the clutch/brake levers for some shorty levers from Mad Hornets (made in China but seem pretty good quality, and only US$ 40 including shipping); and some locally made frame sliders.

The North American spec FZ-09 is not that different from the European models. A good thing - as far as I'm concerned - about the US models is that they get the darker grey frame and don't have 'Yamaha' written on them. I've got nothing against Yamaha, I just don't like overt branding. Logo on its own is good for me.

The California models differ from the general US spec bikes only in that they have a charcoal canister under tank into which fuel fumes from the tank are filtered. It adds a kilo or two to the bike weight and can I believe be removed quite easily.

I think the US models 'might' be electronically limited to 'only' 130 mph. For some folk this is a big deal. I'm not too bothered. Frankly if you want a bike that does more than 130 mph with ease then buy an R1 or some other supersport. A limiter doesn't affect the time or manner in which you get to 130 mph and the FZ-09 has such great low down torque that it's a blast to ride at non hypersonic speeds tongue.png

Thanks Bkkbike09 for the details regarding the California's specs, the darker frame looks good and also, the golden front fork is not available on the Blue Race so... Finally it is maybe a good thing :-D

The original plate older has to go ASAP for sure but I was talking about the rear light block itself. Rizoma and another company, I think LSL, are doing smaller one integrated under the seat and it makes the rear of the bike looks really nice!

post-90264-140298279588_thumb.jpg

The original plate older has to go ASAP for sure but I was talking about the rear light block itself. Rizoma and another company, I think LSL, are doing smaller one integrated under the seat and it makes the rear of the bike looks really nice!

Sorry - my mistake. You did indeed say rear light and an integrated one does look good. I don't mind the stock light and I'll tell myself that it will catch some of the road spray wink.png ...

thanks for the review!

man... this is the bike I really want to buy.

If Honda don't release a CB800, there wont be any reason why not upgrade to this sweet triple.

Thanks. I'd say that even if Honda does release a CB800, there's still no reason not to upgrade to this sweet triple. 188 kg wet + around 110 bhp + more than 60 ft/lb torque = a lot of fun.

And the torque delivery is pretty much right through the RPM from waaay down. Doubt if you'll get that in a CB 800 (or any inline 4).

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/10/04/2014-yamaha-fz-09-dyno-run/

• Like 2

such an amazing torque! It's so flat.

too bad they cost so much here in Thailand... Do you think Yamaha will reduce price of it next year. I'm willing to wait 1 more year to upgrade to the MT09.

such an amazing torque! It's so flat.

too bad they cost so much here in Thailand... Do you think Yamaha will reduce price of it next year. I'm willing to wait 1 more year to upgrade to the MT09.

I doubt that the price will go down. Yam told me when I bought mine that this is an 'introductory price' but I don't really think the sales guys have any idea. Of course they want to make sales so they're not going to say "wait 6 months and it will be cheaper". As I said in an earlier post I feel it is currently a bit overpriced; if they put this on the market at 399,000, so below the psychological 400K price point, I think it would sell really well.

I think it's more likely that they'll bring in the ABS equipped version and put the price up to around 460,000 although this is a pure guess on my part and not based on any hard fact. I don't know if the weakening baht is relevant to local Yamaha pricing but, if it is, then a continued gentle decline in the baht against US$ / JPY etc will work against a price cut. And even if the baht strengthened, the price won't go down because who wants to give away extra profit?

IMHO the market for the 09 in Thailand is a tricky one. Shame on me for stereotyping fellow bikers and I'm donning my flame suit now but strikes me that there's a significant group of wealthy Thai riders who want something that everyone knows is or that looks like a shit hot supersport, like an R1 or whatever, or is a 'premium' brand like Ducati or Harley. Roll up in RCA on a shiny new Monster and all your mates will go "Oh Ho Ducati sud yord!" and know that it cost a lot as well. Turn up on an 09 and it's an unknown quantity to many people. So the market for the 09 is basically people, like me, who really want this bike for specific reasons like the fantastic motor, because it's a naked bike, a triple etc etc. So it's likely to remain a niche bike here and that in turn doesn't encourage better pricing.

But if we're lucky maybe they'll bring in the MT-07 to offset any price increase for its bigger brother. An MT(FZ)-07 for around 300K would be very interesting.

^

I agree. Also price cut might come from Japanese - Thai trade agreement which is decreasing the taxation of goods traded between.

Actually, some brands have just adjusted their prices like Honda decreased the prices of their bikes due to this agreement and all i know, taxes will be down a significant amount soon so Japanese imported bikes will be cheaper.

And, i am actually more interested on mt 07 than mt 09. Somehow mt 07 looks better to me with dark outfit and it is a tempting 75 hp two cylinder with 180 kg wet! I need a very light bike to make my commute in Bangkok easier and i do not need a lot of power so mt 07 fits my bill a lot. Hope to see it around 300 k but i dont think so if no miracle as price difference in USA is only 1000 USD so i expect it around 350 k thb without ABS. Then Ducati Hypermotard is a much more better deal with all those electronics, ABS and better and quality components - and that sexy single sided swingarm!