The art or Negotiating?

TobyOliver

Thanks for all the comments.

I tried the techniques mentioned when getting my condo pained and grouted getting 20% of the price =) yehh!! result

One thing I did notice was that a small reduction i.e (-25%) was ok to ask for

If you try to come in with a very low offer everything goes a bit stale

especially in a tourist area like Pat where someone else who doesn't know the price will come along soon after. I to have noticed some vendors will refuse to haggle outright (as another poster mentioned)

Some good suggestions here. But. It's not one size fits all. Some days, some sellers, simply will not haggle with you, or won't budge much at all. You'll wonder why, when it's so easy to find another one who will. That's just the way it is. A few days later, you might go back and bargain normally with the same seller and get a much better price. You really MUST be willing to walk away; all part of the game I guess.

Not exactly Pattaya related...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is alot of ''Negotiating'' going on in Pattaya though, I think the most negotiations done per minute in the world is in Pattaya.

• Like 1

Not exactly Pattaya related...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is alot of ''Negotiating'' going on in Pattaya though, I think the most negotiations done per minute in the world is in Pattaya.

Pattaya has its open-air & night markets, just like everywhere else. Even marked prices can be "discounted" if you ask... No reason to suggest it's not "Pattaya related".

go to tesco , 7/11, no need to bargain

Indeed, and I go to Tesco more and more often; ex: 1 kilo tomatoes in Tesco : 23 THB...local market (asking) price 50 THB

1 " potatoes 32 50 THB....

prices for meat etc clearly announced....no flies and clean environment.

I throw half of what is asked at them and grab the article and run.

Theory is great, but with a washing machine doesnt quite work.

Then you continue using your two legged washing machine.....

I first ask them the price (cowlai krap), after they give it to me I ask them again with a real serious face...."Cowlai after discount" (how much after discount). They usually laugh at this and come down in price or tell me ........"Solly, this promotion price". Either way...both parties are usually happy after having a bit of a laugh. Even when my wife is with me she still gets a laugh when she hears me asking the shopkeeper "And how much after discount"? once they have given me the price....even though she has heard me at it a thousand times.

Edited by dotpoom