60 billion baht needed to help Thai farmers for new crops

webfact

60 billion baht needed to help farmers for new crops

rice-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- About 60 billion baht are needed to shore up the prices of new rice crops in order to help the farmers instead of the rice pledging scheme which will not be revived.

The rice management policy committee is due to meet this afternoon at the chairmanship of Assistant Army Chief General Chatchai Sarikalaya in his capacity as the deputy chief of the economic advisory board of NCPO to discuss measures to help the farmers which would require about 60 billion baht in funding.

The measures include: cutback in production costs through price controls of fertilizer and other chemicals by the Commerce Ministry and Interior Ministry’s control of rental fees for farm land which will help cut costs by 400-500 baht/rai/crop; 1,700-2,000 baht/rai subsidies of plant seeds, fertilizer and other chemicals for 3.5 million farming households as the Agricultural Economics Office has estimated the production costs at between 4,000-4,500 baht per rai.

On top of the subsidies which are estimated to total 40 to 50 billion baht, the Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives will set aside 20 billion baht revolving fund to be distributed to cooperatives for use in purchasing plant seeds and fertilizer to be sold to farmers at below market prices.

The bank, in return, will receive one percent interest for the revolving fund to be distributed to the cooperatives.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/60-billion-baht-help-farmers-new-crops/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-16

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a rice MCAS - a military council assistance scheme. Any resemblance to the different ordering of the letters of the acronym (mistakenly) employed by the usual suspects is purely coincidental.

Edited by citizen33
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It is a rice MCAS - a military council assistance scheme. Any resemblance to the different ordering of the letters of the acronym (mistakenly) employed by the usual suspects is purely coincidental.

Minus the hundreds of billions of baht siphoned off in corruption by your boss in the previous scheme.

I think I'm gonna lock up my business, vacate my luxury condo, sell my benz and

go be a Thai farmer.... I mean those guys can't do anything wrong, every body

want to throw billions at them every time I turn my computer on...

• Like 1

My solution, the military should freeze all the Shin,s assets worldwide and take the cash they need out of this

"Dear Heads of State,

please be advised, you are requested to send all the Shin-money in your country to my account at the TMB, or else...

your cooperation is appreciated

best regards

the General"

joking aside, it must come as a huge disappointment for all the "<deleted> the poor - no subsidies"-supporters that the military will continue the rice scheme under a different name. I guess, they are caught in the "we are the good guys"-pr-trap or the military was informed that certain players have money invested in rice-production...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

if the crop aint worth your sweat, time to start finding a job in a factory, now all the low paying burmese + cambodians are leaving

so more than work enough

emphasis on "low paying", right?

I don't understand why these Farmers are poor, Didn't Thaksin take from the rich and gave it all to the poor? isn't that why he is so popular in the north and northeast?

perhaps they should pay them not to grow rice for a year..to clear the backlog..with all these cambodians leaving en-masse ..jobs galore i would have thought..

in some countries they do just that. Paying money not to grow certain crops and encourage them to grow something else for the time being.

I don't understand why these Farmers are poor, Didn't Thaksin take from the rich and gave it all to the poor? isn't that why he is so popular in the north and northeast?

Somebody asked me, "You've learned to trust people, but doesn't that hurt you?"

I said, "And you, not trusting? Doesn't that hurt, more"?

Their response was, "How do you go through all that, and not get twisted?"

My answer?

"To seek an understanding of all of the questions, but not the answers."

© UbonRatch, 2014.

My solution, the military should freeze all the Shin,s assets worldwide and take the cash they need out of this

You clearly dont know alot about financial markets then laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

I can just see it now with general Prayuth calling some asset management firm in Switzerland - "hello Sir we want confiscate all the monies of your best customer, me Thai army"

Some of you guys need to leave the country more and realise that outside Thailand these guys have zero clout and authority, hell even in some areas of Thailand they have zero clout and authority.

• Like 1

The farmers will die of hunger as the Shins net value is around B 50 billion, they are only the 10th richest family in the country. You must remember that this B 60 bn they are talking about is only for 1 crop, there are 2 crops per year, thus +-B 120 bn per year will be needed.

You clearly dont know alot about financial markets then

I can just see it now with general Prayuth calling some asset management firm in Switzerland - "hello Sir we want confiscate all the monies of your best customer, me Thai army"

Some of you guys need to leave the country more and realise that outside Thailand these guys have zero clout and authority, hell even in some areas of Thailand they have zero clout and authority.

I think Soutpeel just wanted to express that he genuinely dislikes the Shinawatras (source of all evil and all, very fancy these days). I am certain he knows that the idea is ridiculous. If not, even better. :-)

• Like 1

I would think that less subsidies to help farmers grow crops would cause the price to rise, bringing in more tax revenue and more foreign currency. Eh, what do I know anyway after all of those courses in economics.

I would think that less subsidies to help farmers grow crops would cause the price to rise, bringing in more tax revenue and more foreign currency. Eh, what do I know anyway after all of those courses in economics.

Yes, particularly with (not only) Cambodia and Vietnam producing rice at lower costs the tax revenue and and the incoming flow of foreign currency will probably rise.(irony off)

But it is a complex problem and with my courses in economis I rather restrain myself. Totally get your point. ;-)

Edited by jope

The next 3 years will be rocky for the rice industry. My wife wants to plant rice next year despite the fact I've told her corn will be a better option and better price.

At least I had a minor win! I've been talking about growing organic Jasmine rice.....and she want's to know more about it!

Some families in the village will be hard hit without some form of subsidy. Not that I am in favour of permanent subsidies.

They just got overpaid for their rice and now they want more free handouts. These are the vultures breaking the economy's back. The typical "not knowing when enough is enough " attitude. Greedy sods. Pay some taxes. bah.gif

• Like 1

When is a rice subsidy not called a rice subsidy ?... oh yeas thats right when its a subsidy to buy the seed and fertiliser. rolleyes.gif

Lets see if this subsidy request thats not a subsidy request is granted, because its not called one just a helping hand,so thats different whistling.gif

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

As if any country would even respond to the Junta's request. I can see Australia, UK and USA shaking at the thought cheesy.gif

• Like 1

They just got overpaid for their rice and now they want more free handouts. These are the vultures breaking the economy's back. The typical "not knowing when enough is enough " attitude. Greedy sods. Pay some taxes. bah.gif

So, throw them under the bus. Is that your suggestion?

what a huge waste of money

if they want to continue to be farmers,

then they should pay for their own needs

grow their crops

and sell it for market prices

we have seen in the recent past the proping prices does not work

if the cannot make a living growing rice, then grow something else

It is no wonder the Bkk middle and upper class hate the northern farmers.

their tax money is given to the farmers

• Like 1