TAT to invite foreign journalists to boost Thai tourism

webfact

TAT To Invite Foreign Journalists To Boost Tourism
By Khaosod English

14029195951402920277l.jpg
Tourists buy drinks at Full Moon Party in Pha Ngan on 12 June, 2014 (Photo by Prach Panchakunathorn).

BANGKOK — Foreign reporters and bloggers will be invited on a government-sponsored trip to Thailand in an effort to boost the country's struggling tourism industry, says the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

"We will invite around 1,000 members of the press and bloggers to tour attractions in Thailand," said TAT director Thawatchai Aranyik.

The TAT will prioritize inviting journalists from countries that have large numbers of potential visitors to Thailand, such as Japan, China, and Taiwan, Mr. Thawatchai added.

He said the trip is part of TAT's public relations campaign to restore the confidence of foreign tourists following months of political unrest that devastated Thailand's tourism and hospitality industries. The 22 May military coup and curfew, which was lifted over the weekend, further ebbed the tide of tourists to Thailand.

The TAT will also arrange negotiations with Thailand-based insurance companies to issue travel insurance for tourists from Europe, America, Middle East, and Africa, Mr. Thawatchai said. Afterr the Thai army imposed martial law last month, a number of insurance companies have refused to insure customers for trips to Thailand.

The TAT director remains optimistic that Thai tourism will be back on track before the end of the year.

"Right now we have seen good signs for Thai tourism, because the curfew has been lifted, and the head of the NCPO will visit China," said Mr. Thawatchai, referring to Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, head of the ruling National Council for Peace and Order. "I believe his visit will boost confidence for Chinese tourists, who are the main target group."

He said there is no plan to decrease the goal of tourist numbers and tourism revenue for this year, despite the political tumult. TAT previously projected that 25.9 million tourists would visit Thailand this year, with the expected revenue of 1.23 trillion baht.

"After curfew was lifted, foreign tourists from Australia, China, Hong Kong are booking hotels in Phuket and Hua Hin in droves," Mr. Thawatchai claimed. "I believe the number of tourists will approach close to our target by third and fourth quarter."

"It's obvious that foreign tourists have stopped worrying and are coming to Thailand," he added.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1402919595&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-06-17

We will wine and dine you and supply any like ' extras ' you wish THEN go home and write the most favourable reports you can think of and if, by any chance, you have seen or been involved in anything you don;t like you won't mention it. Please !

• Like 2

I'd like to think any of those who accept the invitation take everything the TAT gives them then go away to report on the crude bribery, oh so Thai, and the truth of what they see warts and all. No, Thailand isn't always the same as what was laid on.

Why don't they invite rep's from insurance companies and explain to them why they should insure tourists during a Coup ?

Thailand is dead in the water as a tourist attraction for sensible people until the Coup is over; are TAT too thick to understand this or are they so full of BS that they are blinded to anything realistic whatsoever ?

• Like 1

The TAT will prioritize inviting journalists from countries that have large numbers of potential visitors to Thailand, such as Japan, China, and Taiwan, Mr. Thawatchai added.

Going the quality tourist route again I see, they missed India. They might want to look at the potential markets that actually bring large numbers to Thailand and have dropped off, but wait, the journalists in many of those markets are not susceptible to bribes of free travel, and don't get Thainess.

• Like 2

Maybe they will do a report on 'Johnny cheap buckets' (in the photo)......

Maybe they will ask him why he puts a sign on his stall saying 'I am a c**t'..

He probably is for putting that up on display.

I just noticed that Leo Bucket is also a c**t...

How bizarre.. The most bizarre gathering of the most bizzare people in the most bizarre country..... I

suppose we must expect bizarre crap.

They may want to bring to English teachers and marketing executives to explain to these stall holders as writing "I am a c*nt" on their marketing literature may not be seen as acceptable advertising in the English speaking world :o

• Like 1

I'm sure the foreign reporters and bloggers will have a wonderful time as it's on the house. But that's not enough to restore confidence.

It's simple. They merely have to just ask the foreign reporters, travel agents, insurance companies and embassy officials what would make a step change in restoring tourist numbers .... I bet #1 would be Lift Martial Law.

Unfortunately that's not what Uncle General wants to hear, so it'll be ignored or, more likely in these censored times, go unreported.

A free lunch? Where do you sign up for a ticket?

Free jet ski's, free tuktuk's. Only a piece of duck tape over your reporter's mouth and please only write positive. I wish they would put this budget aside to improve the railroad facilties etc.

isn't this the basics of corruption ? come on this free all paid trip and then only write good things and close an eye on double prices (sorry, they will get everything for free), jet ski scams, tuk tuk maffia, taxi overprices

when you get all for free, how can you be OBJECTIVE ????

it smell like a marketing BRIBE

• Like 1

How did that photo make it into the paper?

I was wonder that as well....".I am a c*nt" emblazoned all over a front page, this article is from an "English" language journalist are they really that clueless ? Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2

Maybe they will do a report on 'Johnny cheap buckets' (in the photo)......

Maybe they will ask him why he puts a sign on his stall saying 'I am a c**t'..

He probably is for putting that up on display.

I just noticed that Leo Bucket is also a c**t...

How bizarre.. The most bizarre gathering of the most bizzare people in the most bizarre country..... I

suppose we must expect bizarre crap.

If you look close enough, not only is Leo bucket a c**t, he also eats dog cum 4 breakfast! That should bring the tourists in! Lol

Why don't they invite rep's from insurance companies and explain to them why they should insure tourists during a Coup ?

Thailand is dead in the water as a tourist attraction for sensible people until the Coup is over; are TAT too thick to understand this or are they so full of BS that they are blinded to anything realistic whatsoever ?

TAT is just as Thai as Sontam. They just pound on the same pestle time and again. Never addressing reality.

Has anybody noticed that in this ostensible modern society with so many foreign automobile assembly plants, there isn't a single motor vehicle designed, assembled and produced in a true 100% Thai plant? I asked that of a Thai apologist patriot and his answer was : Toyota!

Thais are followers, assemblers and copiers. They even copy what they have copied before. TAT is so Thai!

Same same propaganda, no different.

• Like 1

Japanese, Chinese, and Taiwanese are heavy drinkers and love to party in Thailand, I bet they all want to go to full moon party in Kho Pha Ngan, BTW, what idiot wrote this news?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

and also invite them to the tourist attractions where they double charge, also give them a motorbike so they can sample thai road manners and safety

Don't forget to invite them to rent jet-ski and take a taxi ride in Phuket bah.gif