Bangkok Chatuchak vendors want help over extortion, costs

webfact

Slowly slowly, and hopefully with ever increasing speed, the citizens are waking up and realising that they have a voice and that they can appeal to the right authorities to stamp out corruption.

Amazing post, it needs repeating. The Thai can now speak freely because their fear has been removed, along with what some wanted to call "democracy".

I am no fan of coups but am hopeful that the Thai will more and more speak up for their collective voice to be heard in increasing areas of their lives. I am hopeful that the Genie is truly out of the bottle.

Slowly slowly, and hopefully with ever increasing speed, the citizens are waking up and realising that they have a voice and that they can appeal to the right authorities to stamp out corruption.

Agreed, it is a first step. Now, the larger step is to eliminate an incredibly weak, corrupt, greedy, timid, and inept judiciary. From top to bottom it needs complete reform. Nearly every judge in the land will be required to lose their jobs, give up their MASSIVE fortunes, and get a new line of work. Only when the judiciary is reformed will be see any real change. Sure, the loss of jobs, and face is a first step. But, with the kind of money these hooligans have, they can buy their way out of nearly anything. Even if the military and the police get tough, they still have to figure out a way to convince the judiciary, which is made up of mostly greedy cowards, to start imposing meaningful sentences, and fines.

If they could also look at extortionate bank charges that would be great to.

The grass roots stuff is also exceptionally important but we are still in the situation where a little bit of corruption seems to be acceptable. In clearing Chatuchak of corruption it's likely that every counterfeit good stall would also be targeted, would it still be the tourist venue it has built up to today without those stalls?

Edited by Bangel72

It's great.

This is the first time I have ever seen Thais standing up for themselves.

The junta is being seen as a big brother who are protecting the people.

Before the coup, the people never complained because there was never really anyone to complain to who gave a rats butt.... i.e. the police and the government.

Are you joking???

Why was there A Coup,because there were thousands of illegal protestors on the streets of Bangkok,is that standing up or not.Not even going to speak about the farmers out in force.

Thumper, i am amazed at this post, truly am