Where can I buy a really nice chess board

ramrod711

Chess as we know it doesn't seem to be widely played here, and the few ready-made chessboards that I've seen for sale over the years didn't look too special.

Thais have their own version of chess - Makruk - that they play on whatever comes to hand; tiles set in terrazzo tabletops, makeshift wooden boards, etc.

FolkGuitar's idea of a custom-made board makes very good sense. My own preference would be a teak and whitewood inlay. Or you could go with marble of contrasting colours. Both could be done here for a fraction of what you'd pay in most western countries.

The high quality of craftsmanship combined with low prices makes Chiang Mai the place to have things like that done.

• Like 2

If it were me, I'd go to Ban Tawai and ask about having one made to my design. I doubt it would cost very much, and would be exactly in the style that you want.

Thanks, I thought of that, maybe stained teak and rosewood, was hoping to find something ready made. Trying to explain that I want something special without really knowing what I want is daunting.

• Like 1

Chess as we know it doesn't seem to be widely played here, and the few ready-made chessboards that I've seen for sale over the years didn't look too special.

Thais have their own version of chess - Makruk - that they play on whatever comes to hand; tiles set in terrazzo tabletops, makeshift wooden boards, etc.

FolkGuitar's idea of a custom-made board makes very good sense. My own preference would be a teak and whitewood inlay. Or you could go with marble of contrasting colours. Both could be done here for a fraction of what you'd pay in most western countries.

The high quality of craftsmanship combined with low prices makes Chiang Mai the place to have things like that done.

I do like the idea of granite or marble, perhaps inlaid into a wooden frame. Maybe I could find some of the brass strips that sometimes are inserted between stone tiles. Thanks for your help.

See if you can get one made from stone is my suggestion. I had a soapstone set that I got for about 5 us bucks in Zimbabwe about 20 years ago- it was beautiful. Just don't drop the board. (Like I did)

• Like 1

Do some research online. The size of the squares in proportion to the pieces is important. If you have brass pieces and have a wooden board made you might like to consider brass protective corners that will link the pieces and protect the wooden board as well. A really nice set is a joy, so please don't rush.

The chess club meets at The Pub weekly - members there may be able to help.

http://www.thepubchiangmai.com/event/chess-club-meet-2/

• Like 1

See if you can get one made from stone is my suggestion. I had a soapstone set that I got for about 5 us bucks in Zimbabwe about 20 years ago- it was beautiful. Just don't drop the board. (Like I did)

Thanks for your response, sorry about your board.

• Like 1

Do some research online. The size of the squares in proportion to the pieces is important. If you have brass pieces and have a wooden board made you might like to consider brass protective corners that will link the pieces and protect the wooden board as well. A really nice set is a joy, so please don't rush.

The chess club meets at The Pub weekly - members there may be able to help.

http://www.thepubchiangmai.com/event/chess-club-meet-2/

Thanks, as I said I haven't played in years, so the idea is really to display the pieces to the best advantage. It never occurred to me that the squares should be in scale to the pieces, thanks again for your help.

I'm not in CM at the moment but there used to be a shop in the Night Bazaar that did some good quality boards, wood inlay, glass and also marble. Don't know if it's still there but maybe worth a look for some ideas. As an earlier poster said make sure the ratios are correct.

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Like 1

OP, when you get your board and display set up, please post a pic of it here, whatever board you end up with.

I,m not very knowledgeable with computers, I tried to post a photo once before and couldn't. Thanks for your interest.

I'm not in CM at the moment but there used to be a shop in the Night Bazaar that did some good quality boards, wood inlay, glass and also marble. Don't know if it's still there but maybe worth a look for some ideas. As an earlier poster said make sure the ratios are correct.

I did look down there, the only place that had any was on the bottom floor of the 3 story building, they were ok but not the quality I'm looking for. I think I will have one made to my specifications, probably marble. Thanks for the response.

• Like 1

I did look down there, the only place that had any was on the bottom floor of the 3 story building, they were ok but not the quality I'm looking for. I think I will have one made to my specifications, probably marble. Thanks for the response.

Good luck with that.

Try to find someone to post a photo of whatever it is that you finally get.

We're all interested!

• Like 1

Wow! there are some beautiful boards there, I added the link to my favorites. I noticed that there were at least 5 different sizes of squares, and I my favorite was the bone board. I really liked the marble one as well, but having a 5.5 kg board sent to Thailand might be pricey. Thanks to you, and I highly recommend that anyone who loves beautiful things access the link.