Are you "domesticated" enough?

Costas2008

I allow Mrs. C to do the cleaning, do the shopping, feed the dogs and look after the garden.

Mrs. C allows me to walk the dogs and pay for everything. That's a partnership...................wink.png

At least its what she tells me it is...........................sad.png

• Like 1

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I am housebroken, but that is as far as domestication seems to get now. Since we have retired, my wife does almost everything for me, our livelihood, and around the house. She not only does the shopping, cooking, cleaning, washing and ironing; but she also does the minor gardening, plumbing, electric, painting, and carpentry work. When we have guests, she is the consummate hostess, when we do not have guests, she serves my drinks and meals in my man-cave. She washes, waxes, checks the oil and air on my bike, and cleans my boots and leathers; she packs my bags for trips, makes airline, train and hotel reservations; she pays all the bills, arranges ISP, cable TV; and she negotiates issues with the landlord, neighbors, and merchants--and she is not Thai. So, I have to agree with HughJass.

Wow !!! You are so lucky ! Keep enjoying.

I pretty much do it all...including ironing at times ...repair most things around the house...except for appliances and aircon...I am comfortable in my own skin...have plenty of time on my hands...it is my way of showing we are equal partners...it frees up the little woman to spend more time taking care of me...a win...win situation...and best of all...she is smart enough to compliment and show appreciation for my efforts...

• Like 1

She comes in and makes a mess doing her Isaan cooking with me to clean up -- then after a while together, I tell her to go home to her own apartment, hang out with her Thai friends, and leave me alone.

• Like 1

When I was living in Europe, I used to work from 9:00 in the morning till sometimes 10:00 in the night.

So, although, I was married with 2 kids, I never lend a helping hand to my ex-wife to do any kind of housework, or ever helped her with changing the kid’s nappies.

Coming to Thailand, everything has changed.

As, my present wife, works, I do the washing up, wash the clothes, clean the toilets, mop the floor, do some gardening, and in between, browsing TVF and giving my “worthless” opinion.

Haven’t managed ironing yet, I give the clothes to the local ironing lady that charges me 5 Baht per piece……..quite satisfied.I’m not a DIY man, as Mr. Trans, in fact whatever I started fixing, had to call somebody from outside to repair.

So, I would like to ask you:

Do you help, your wife/gf, with the housework?

Do you help your wife/gf with the kids? (Changing nappies, feeding, giving a bath)

If yes, are you comfortable by doing so, or you still think it’s a woman job?

Are you a DIY man, do you enjoy fixing things?

For those who employ a cleaner or a nanny, this thread would not be of much interest.

I would appreciate your answers.

Regards

Costas

It doesn't matter which continent one belongs, if a man cannot share the responsibilities, then its shameful. Do not excuse yourself as a bread winner.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Mine considers it her duty and does an excellent job in the house and yard + cooking.......she seems genuinely happy to do it - she also handles the run the house allowance and tracks every Baht and receipt + uses coupons which has suprised me with the amount % it knocks off also does the budget for a good percentage less than I could when by myself.....If we go to out to eat and it's my treat there is a tip - if her treat no tip left......I take it upon myself to do the laundry and she was concerned that the neighbors would see that and think she was not doing her duties around the house and being a good wife.....If I decide to cook I wet smoke bbq different western meals to give her a taste - this week was her first taste of a baked potato - a bit hit......

One day a week we have a maid come in which means of course that my gal empties the trash bins & does any needed clean up the day before.....the big + for the one day a week help is all the ironing gets done which used to cost me more per week to get ironed than it does for her to come do the house and yard and iron our clothes.....to me ironing is sheer drudgery & I don't want to cart it out to have done or have myself or her have to be stuck with it.....

I also take the trash to the curb which she told me to leave so she could do it.....I took it out.....DIY I handle including looking after the vehicles......

So - we each have our areas of responsibilty but she it honestly happy to do it all.....

She didn't want her parents to know about the maid feeling they might think she was neglecting her duties......

There are two daughters that are here during school breaks and when here they follow my house rules - challenging but we have fun....

Probably more - but right now she's doing exercise dancing in front of a mirror sans outer clothing and it's MY domesticated duty bring her some ice water and watch.....cya.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

It doesn't matter which continent one belongs, if a man cannot share the responsibilities, then its shameful. Do not excuse yourself as a bread winner.

If I were to live with someone my position would be.

When you earn half the household income, I will do half the household work.

At the moment I am happy to do both on my own.

• Like 1

If I were to live with someone my position would be.

When you earn half the household income, I will do half the household work.

At the moment I am happy to do both on my own.

Good luck then.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Interesting, and for me, fun reading. Sorry to report my situation. Retired 2011, after having read about and visiting Thailand I moved here for my retirement years. Played awhile and enjoyed but, in the end, I wanted a traditionally raised Thai girl to travel with and take care of me. Well, I fell into it. Knock on wood! Going on 3 years. She insists it is her job to take care of me. Does all the cooking ( ok, I only have instant oatmeal for breakfast...damn colesterol!), all the cleaning, 3 massages a week, believes I am to take the lead and she is to follow ( hmm, I'm still getting used to this). Ready? Her Mother calls and reminds her that she is to take care of me and listen to me. Kicker, from before I met her, no, family, you cannot ask me for money. So, sorry if I disappoint but I have found what I moved to Thailand to experience. For her, well, her world has changed and she has experienced much that she only dreamed of having in her life. Baby? I'm too old. We both already have children. Told her, if she wants baby ok but then she stays home while I travel. She decided Grandson was better idea, then we can hand him back after visits and travel! Oh, yes, of course pretty and a little more than half my age. Wish me luck! Yes, I know, damn him!!! Ha!

• Like 1

Before I came here, I did everything myself, cook, clean, fix. Now I can't even get a beer out of the fridge. And, yes, she is happy to do it, and if I try to help, or do it myself, she literally gets sad, as if she's not capable. Oh, I do mow the lawn, but the garden is hers.

I still don't understand her ironing my underwear

• Like 1

whatever happened to living the dream?....u guys are as p**sy whipped here as u were back in farang land

Don't worry.......we had our "moments" in the past.

Time to settle down.

One day you will reach our age, and I hope you have the good memories we have now.

So have you been "domesticated"?

Well, I am housebroken, but that is as far as domestication seems to get now. Since we have retired, my wife does almost everything for me, our livelihood, and around the house. She not only does the shopping, cooking, cleaning, washing and ironing; but she also does the minor gardening, plumbing, electric, painting, and carpentry work. When we have guests, she is the consummate hostess, when we do not have guests, she serves my drinks and meals in my man-cave. She washes, waxes, checks the oil and air on my bike, and cleans my boots and leathers; she packs my bags for trips, makes airline, train and hotel reservations; she pays all the bills, arranges ISP, cable TV; and she negotiates issues with the landlord, neighbors, and merchants--and she is not Thai. So, I have to agree with HughJass.

So your a lazy bar steward...? thumbsup.gifsad.png

Bar steward? No, I do social research. Lazy? Well, I use my brains, not my back.

I'd be washing nappies, he'd fix a problem on my car ... no cost. It's all good.

washing nappies..???

We tried washing the toilet paper to save money, but proved unsuccessful.

OH ... you wanted a serious answer.

It's a generational change and the nappy issue has gone full circle.

140.jpg

Modern cloth nappies are made to be washed and reused.

I tried a few times to help out around the house but Mrs Charlie gets real upset, says its her job and I must not do it.

Repairs, well minor stuff I do, but mostly get someone in to do it as its so cheap.

You are a Lucky man, Charlie, wish my wife had more time in her hands.

Saying that......she does help sometimes but as James said......"there is cleaning and there is clean"

I sometimes clean with the stereo on full blast.I do a 90% clean and she comes along and does quality control.Farang clean not same Thai clean she rekons.

• Like 1

When I had Thai wife who worked job (I'm retired) I would do 90% of the house work, wash clothes by hand during breaks in Anderson Cooper. She somewhat resented my washing clothes but it was really no problem for me. I am not one of those guys who worry if others might think they are "whipped". I had all day and no pressing matters. If marriage is a partnership, why not do housework if you have time and she doesn't? Won't make your manhood fall off.

• Like 2

Yes, I am domesticated (enough). I have never been married but I do iron my shirts (when in Canada) clean my own

toilets/shower wash the dishes etc.. and piss sitting down when I am at home. tongue.png

• Like 1

I'd be washing nappies, he'd fix a problem on my car ... no cost. It's all good.

washing nappies..???

We tried washing the toilet paper to save money, but proved unsuccessful.

OH ... you wanted a serious answer.

It's a generational change and the nappy issue has gone full circle.

140.jpg

Modern cloth nappies are made to be washed and reused.

And are SOOOO much more environmentally friendly. Good on you two for your non-lazy choice. SOOO much cheaper in even the short term, too.

I like working around the house, doing the gardening and I do most of the repairs myself.. Only yesterday I was telling my Missus that I'm still trying to get used to seeing a man pushing a go-car (push chair) with the baby in it. Of course it's a good thing but still seems a bit strange to me. In my day it wasn't the "manly" thing to do. Then it occurred to me that I don't see an awful lot of Thai people doing it, man or woman, maybe it's simply down to the cost of these go-cars. If that is the case it must be really sad for the average poor Thai when they see these foreigners waltzing around with their fine contraptions.

• Like 1

I never did ironing even when I was a single dad. The spare room was where the dry washing went, to search through when you needed something.

If I HAD to iron a good shirt, I would just iron the triangle at the front that showed through my open jacket or coat.

Two things I detest doing around the home; Ironing and painting. I can and will do everything else, including sewing.

Ironing - I would rather clean the toilet.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

She comes in and makes a mess doing her Isaan cooking with me to clean up -- then after a while together, I tell her to go home to her own apartment, hang out with her Thai friends, and leave me alone.

It must be LOVE...

• Like 2