Getting a Visas in Vientiane

Hi....I've searched but not found precise answers to the following:

1. If I go by train from Bkk (sleeper) and get the shuttle train and a VOA, will I be in time to make the application the same morning before 11am?

2. If I get the earlier, non-sleeper, train will it be easy to get to Vientiane at that time and can I get a VOA at that time?

Many thanks in advance for your help..

AFAIK, the train going into Lao, brings you to the middle of nowhere. Leaves you wide open, to extortion by the taxi mafia.

Maybe others can reply to the punctuality of the Thai railways. I took it last time over 10 years ago and arrived around noon in Nong Khai.

I went to the embassy yesterday to apply for a new visa. I shared a tuk-tuk from the border to the embassy with someone who came in with the train from BKK that morning, so based on that it would seem that you can do it.

We went through the border together at around 8:30 AM. I did not ask him out for specific details on his trip though.

Many thanks for all contributions so far....I went ahead and booked the sleeper so, if on time(ish), should be OK.

Any hints about getting to Vientiane quickly would be much appreciated.

(Thaivisa is great for this 'first hand experience sharing' eh?)

As I understand you will arrive to Nong Khai train station. From there you can take a small train to Laos (and be dropped in the middle of nowhere) or you can ride a tuk-tuk to the bridge and cross it in a normal fashion.

Before I turned 50 and was eligible for a yearly retirement extension, I traveled by train to Nong Khai and took a tuk-tuk to the border. The train was always at least 1 hour late and I never relied on being able to make it to the Thai Embassy in Vientianne that day. Since you booked the train already - be prepared to add one day to your journey.

If you really want the shortest trip possible - it is best to book the earlies flight or take an overnight bus the night before.

I usually was not in a hurry and enjoyed my time in Vientianne, so I wasn't in a super rush.

• Like 1

Before I turned 50 and was eligible for a yearly retirement extension, I traveled by train to Nong Khai and took a tuk-tuk to the border. The train was always at least 1 hour late and I never relied on being able to make it to the Thai Embassy in Vientianne that day. Since you booked the train already - be prepared to add one day to your journey.

If you really want the shortest trip possible - it is best to book the earlies flight or take an overnight bus the night before.

I usually was not in a hurry and enjoyed my time in Vientianne, so I wasn't in a super rush.

Thanks KED....we'll take a leaf from your book and add the extra day to enjoy Vientiane. Cheers!

NokAir has cheap flights, BKK -> Udon Thani, under 700b per direction. www.nokair.com

If you get the plane, there is a shuttle bus to Nong Khai for 200b, tickets at the desk as you walk to the exit of the airport.

Maybe stay overnight in NK (many cheap hotels) and cross in the morning and head to Thai consulate.

I've taken the overnight train before. It was on time. We just bought the train and van ticket into Vientiane from the train station when we arrived. Probably more money than we could have spent doing it another way, but it was dead simple and quick.

1. Get off the night train
  2. Buy a ticket over the bridge (This gets you all the way into the city through step 7)
  3. Stamp out of Thailand
  4. Get onto a different train right next to the one you just got off of
  5. Train goes over the bridge
  6. VOA into Laos
  7. Van takes you into town
  8. Grab a Tuktuk from there to the Consulate

We made it in plenty of time.

Fridays are the best day to drop off if you don't mind a weekend to enjoy Vientiane. Drop off (Fri) took about a half an hour, and pick up (Mon) took longer to walk across the yard into the building than I spent inside getting my passport returned..