Malaysian Pit Vipers

jimmybkk

OK Carlos - here's a pic of the first one I found and the last one. I'm no expert but when I found the first one, true to their reputation, it made no attempt to try to get away and so I had plenty of time to Google it and see what I was dealing with... All signs seemed to point towards Malaysian pit viper but if I have got it wrong please let me know.

The 4 of these that I've come across have all been a similar size - around 60 cm long and relatively skinny. The one that is curled up was not much bigger than a mosquito coil...

post-14840-0-33350800-1403122013_thumb.j

post-14840-0-03732200-1403122044_thumb.j

Courtesy of Thailand Snakes you might call one of these places:

Bangkok, call Mr. Sompop Sridaranop at 089-0438455.

Chiang Mais Mae Sai Valley Snake Farm is about 15 km north of Chiang Mai. If they dont want to come all that way to your home, they will know who to call instead: 053-860719

Phuket Kathu, Thalang, call the Wisarut Jaiton Kusoldharm Rescue Foundation: 076-246301 or 076-246599.

Chalong, Rawai, Kata, Karon Phuket, call 076-283346

Phuket anywhere call Ruamjai Kupai Foundation, 076-238364

Koh Samui, call Samui Snake Rescue & Removals Phil at 089-6635085.

Krabi Town call the ambulance people 1669

Krabi Beaches toward Ao Nang call the Krabi Snake Farm at 075-637671

If not on this list call or go to the nearest Police station and ask who does it. Then ask them to remove the snakes for you. This list could be "penned" to the forum and numbers added as needed.

All really useful information for a Pattaya thread
  • Haha 1

OK Carlos - here's a pic of the first one I found and the last one. I'm no expert but when I found the first one, true to their reputation, it made no attempt to try to get away and so I had plenty of time to Google it and see what I was dealing with... All signs seemed to point towards Malaysian pit viper but if I have got it wrong please let me know.

The 4 of these that I've come across have all been a similar size - around 60 cm long and relatively skinny. The one that is curled up was not much bigger than a mosquito coil...

attachicon.gifSnake 1.jpg

attachicon.gifSnake 17-06-2014.jpg

I had a very tiny one that looked like the one in the second picture in the pumphouse a few weeks ago, unfortunately it didn't survive my inspection.

It had a white belly, is that correct ?

I had a very tiny one that looked like the one in the second picture in the pumphouse a few weeks ago, unfortunately it didn't survive my inspection.

It's a bit blurred but here's a pic of its belly - yes, it's kinda white/cream.

post-14840-0-16665400-1403188875_thumb.j

It's a bit blurred but here's a pic of its belly - yes, it's kinda white/cream.

attachicon.gif20140617_Snake_2.jpg

I recognized it from the arrow shaped head, bigger than the body.

I hope mum doesn't come look for her baby. w00t.gif

Edited by JesseFrank

What area are you in? We have had a few snakes here in the Mabprachan area, but not so deadly, so just carried them away. A cobra or Pit viper, I would have to kill it. Like you said, family and pets are much more important. Just need the proper equipment to take care of them, before they appear. Also would be good to know where to go, in case of being bitten or pets being bitten.

What area are you in? We have had a few snakes here in the Mabprachan area, but not so deadly, so just carried them away. A cobra or Pit viper, I would have to kill it. Like you said, family and pets are much more important. Just need the proper equipment to take care of them, before they appear. Also would be good to know where to go, in case of being bitten or pets being bitten.

You can order the anti venom from the link Thaicookingchef posted, it arrives in 3 days biggrin.png

Edited by JesseFrank

I live around SSCC not quite as far down as Mabprachan - closer to Wanasin Market.

I think my dog must be either the luckiest dog on the planet or else he has some kind of 6th sense about these things. He's been sleeping within 6' of at least 2 of them and for some reason has apparently never woken up and gone over to give them a sniff. I read somewhere that amongst the animals that get bitten it is usually cattle that get bitten on the legs (from stepping too close to one) and dogs that get bitten on the face (from getting close and having a sniff).

I think I read on a post on TV that generally dogs can be treated with anti-venom if you react quickly enough but cats cannot. My first stop if mine was bitten would be NPW Animal Hospital. First stop if any humans were bitten would be BPH as I have read that they stock the anti-venom.

Courtesy of Thailand Snakes you might call one of these places:

Bangkok, call Mr. Sompop Sridaranop at 089-0438455.

Chiang Mais Mae Sai Valley Snake Farm is about 15 km north of Chiang Mai. If they dont want to come all that way to your home, they will know who to call instead: 053-860719

Phuket Kathu, Thalang, call the Wisarut Jaiton Kusoldharm Rescue Foundation: 076-246301 or 076-246599.

Chalong, Rawai, Kata, Karon Phuket, call 076-283346

Phuket anywhere call Ruamjai Kupai Foundation, 076-238364

Koh Samui, call Samui Snake Rescue & Removals Phil at 089-6635085.

Krabi Town call the ambulance people 1669

Krabi Beaches toward Ao Nang call the Krabi Snake Farm at 075-637671

If not on this list call or go to the nearest Police station and ask who does it. Then ask them to remove the snakes for you. This list could be "penned" to the forum and numbers added as needed.

All really useful information for a Pattaya thread

Maybe you didn't read my last three sentences? Why not make a list useful for all areas. So add to it. Also did you know you could call any one of the listed numbers and they just "might" give you the name and number of the closest rescue group near you? They do talk to each other. A little imagination might help get the problem solved.