Army closes rice pledging scheme in 8 Isaan provinces

webfact

Commanding General of the 2nd Army Area closes rice pledging scheme in 8 Northeastern provinces

NAKHON RATCHASIMA, 18 June 2014 (NNT) - The Commanding General of the 2nd Army Area has announced the closure of the rice pledging project after all of the rice farmers in eight provinces in the Northeast were paid in full.

Commanding General of the 2nd Army Area Lt Gen Chanchai Phuthong, together with the Nakhon Ratchasima Governor Thongchai Lueadul, Commander of the 21st Army Circle Maj Gen Wut Saengjak, Chief of Nakhon Ratchasima Provincial Police, Pol Maj Gen Pongdech Prommijit and the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives' (BAAC) Manager, witnessed the final payment and announced the official closure of the rice pledging program after all the farmers in eight provinces in the region had been paid out. In addition, there was also a musical concert arranged by the military to return happiness to the farmers.

There are eight provinces in Area 8 including Nakorn Ratchasima, Chaiyapoom, Buriram, Surin, Sisaket, Ubon Ratchathani, Yasothon and Amnat Charoen with a total of 504,359 rice farmers who were registered in the rice pledging scheme for the 2012/2013 production season. The amount produced was 2,603,2559 tons of rice worth 48,513 million baht.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-18 footer_n.gif

Boom time is over for these farmers, although it doesn't seem like much of a prosperous time was had by many. Now it's time to pay for the creator of this scheme's recklessness. Rice prices are down, and the countries reputation for high quality rice is shot.

One of the biggest election blunders of all time, but it can be said the blunder is not what it seems ---self greed of government was behind this scheme.

Not many apologists on this thread, not a lot they can squirm out of now the scheme has been exposed.

This post may tempt a few on.

Surplus monies now can go to improved -education-hospitals-handicapped/disabled and children's homes.

• Like 2

Wasn't the consensus bleat that the PTP had paid off all of their potential voter base first? It doesn't appear to have been true.

You do like to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a positive. I do not think that story merits much consideration considering what has come about in the last few weeks

But true all the same.

Pay the remaining debts incurred and shut down this utter catastrophe of a scheme for good.

in fact the farmers bank paid them all already. It was announced yesterday. A few left, especially in the South due to seasonal delay.

Wasn't the consensus bleat that the PTP had paid off all of their potential voter base first? It doesn't appear to have been true.

You do like to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a positive. I do not think that story merits much consideration considering what has come about in the last few weeks

But true all the same.

Interesting to see you write 'potential voter base', suggesting these eight provinces might have been 'potential' Pheu Thai voter base.

Anyway I think the consensus was close to Pheu Thai selecting their voter base to be paid off first, if any was (were?) paid off at all.

Waiting for info on the other 69 provinces in Thailand, as far as they were into rice growing that is whistling.gif

Boom time is over for these farmers, although it doesn't seem like much of a prosperous time was had by many. Now it's time to pay for the creator of this scheme's recklessness. Rice prices are down, and the countries reputation for high quality rice is shot.

One of the biggest election blunders of all time, but it can be said the blunder is not what it seems ---self greed of government was behind this scheme.

Not many apologists on this thread, not a lot they can squirm out of now the scheme has been exposed.

Surplus monies now can go to improved -education-hospitals-handicapped/disabled and children's homes.

All that's missing from your ridiculous post is a few cords from a violin.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

au contraire. our family did very well at the high prices and knew enough to save the money as we knew it wouldnt last. we were gettin 8 baht before, went up to 15 and now back to 6 or 7 so we made good money.

Interesting to see you write 'potential voter base', suggesting these eight provinces might have been 'potential' Pheu Thai voter base.

Anyway I think the consensus was close to Pheu Thai selecting their voter base to be paid off first, if any was (were?) paid off at all.

Waiting for info on the other 69 provinces in Thailand, as far as they were into rice growing that is whistling.gif

I write "potential voter base" as I am not as naive as to think that votes from the rice farmers in Isaan were guaranteed for the election that would have been, if it hadn't been for the EC, CC, Suthep and his backers.

Anyway I think the consensus was close to Pheu Thai selecting their voter base to be paid off first

Er, that's kind of the point I was making, rubl. Keep up.

Edited by fab4

Right play us some music,that will make us forget that we now have to pay more tax on the land which we will no longer use for growing anything,its not worth the effort or the risk. We have spent 350,000 Baht planting and harvesting rice and after harvesting 6 months ago are stil waiting for our money. A villager offered his top grade rice to a miller and was offered 5 Baht a kilo,that is taking the piss,sign of the future,don't bother wasting money planting.

The next step is to bring the growing of rice into the light of day and to make all of the information public.

Input costs

End import duties for all agricultural inputs and for machinery

Assess a property tax for all land allow to remain fallow.

Certify that the costs of fertilizers, pesticides and other imported inputs and components are verified as being accurate. Publish the distribution steps and for all state owned enterprises, the percentage they collect.

Show farmers how to improve there income and how to grow other crops off season. In the U.S., the government created the Agricultural Extension Service in every county in the country.

Promote and assist with the creation and support of farmer owned cooperatives so that economies of scale can be realized for purchasing, crop production, drying, milling and marketing their rice.

The bottom line is that the fastest and most beneficial long term way to increase farmer income is to allow farmers to own more of the process. It is often said that no young people want to stay on the farms. Given the present status and lack of income among farmers who could blame them.

There is little doubt that in the moderate term with committed people it would be possible to allow many more Thai farmers join the middle class (TB 30,000 to 40,000 per month income).

Of course all also hinges on the political will of those in power.

I write "potential voter base" as I am not as naive as to think that votes from the rice farmers in Isaan were guaranteed for the election that would have been, if it hadn't been for the EC, CC, Suthep and his backers.

Anyway I think the consensus was close to Pheu Thai selecting their voter base to be paid off first

Er, that's kind of the point I was making, rubl. Keep up.

Do I need to elaborate on the difference between 'their voter base' and 'potential voter base' ?

Keep it up, indeed.

• Like 1

In future farmers will have to sell their rice at market price........ This will be a lot lower than in the scheme. Thailand is no longer the world's top rice exporter and will also have to sell off stock piles at market price.

Result ... A glut on the market and even lower prices. This will in turn mean that farmers will no longer be able to grow rice for profit so production next year will plummet. If the government has no plan to subsidise the farmers many will go out of business all together...in years to come,Thailand could end up a rice importer

• Like 1

There is an inherent problem in All farming....if a family has 2 sons, and they decided to stay on the land, the farm has to be halved every generation.....with obvious results.

Thailand is industrialising massively...industry now exceeds agriculture as a portion of the national economy. It also means that more labour be will leave the land and as living costs rise, farmers need more money to live off. Many farms are in reality subsidised by their children who work in industry in Bkk, and the surrounding Changwats.

Farming in mist countries is subsidised in one form or another, apart from maintaining food production, it maintains a stable society. If the government ignores the problems of the rice farmers they inevitably will find a growth in opposition in those areas.

• Like 1

au contraire. our family did very well at the high prices and knew enough to save the money as we knew it wouldnt last. we were gettin 8 baht before, went up to 15 and now back to 6 or 7 so we made good money.

So you had lots of money before the scam started and were able to pay the extra interest on loans needed to supplant the withheld legal payment on the rice.

• Like 1

the only thing to return happiness to those farmers is more money

Yes they should be paid back all the money they spent on the interest that was due for the loans they had to make in order to survive due to a PTP scam.

Let us not forget the extra rent they had to pay on the property because the greedy owners raised the lease rate on it when they saw that the farmer was getting more money. As well as the suppliers raising their prices.wai.gifthumbsup.gif

Pay the remaining debts incurred and shut down this utter catastrophe of a scheme for good.

in fact the farmers bank paid them all already. It was announced yesterday. A few left, especially in the South due to seasonal delay.

Not true, here in Prasat near Surin i believe the bank has the money from the junta but we still haven't been paid,it's a long queue, my wife has number 3,800 on her chit.