Taxi mafia clean out at Suvarnabhumi airport

Lite Beer

So everyone that arrives are already hardened to This taxi mafia ??? If you are a slow learner then you have been bitten. you should not be subject to this---get it ??

If an actual genuine slow naïve person arrives it's his fault he is like that ?? these taxi vultures have to be controlled.

Mind you don't think so as YOU do not have problems because you already have learned.

What exactly is it you feel you're being "subject(ed) to"?

Edited by rajyindee

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So everyone that arrives are already hardened to This taxi mafia ??? If you are a slow learner then you have been bitten. you should not be subject to this---get it ??

If an actual genuine slow naïve person arrives it's his fault he is like that ?? these taxi vultures have to be controlled.

Mind you don't think so as YOU do not have problems because you already have learned.

What exactly is it you feel you're being "subject(ed) to"?

You said if you get done you are a slow learner, so to speak. this is why I answered this way. No one should be subjected to being done in the first place--so then there would be no slow learners. why cut your post to me out ?? hiding that bit are we.

Don't know what all the fuss is about. I've flown in and out of BKK countless times and never, ever, had a problem. Drivers have been courteous and always ask if I want to go the toll road or not. Is this a problem that really exists because in the 13 years I've lived here I have not experienced it.

Well my friend you are in the minority again. Why do you think the clean up is necessary ??? why do you think the government clean up is necessary ???

You must live in a different world to the rest. Even denial airport taxi mafia exists, anything else you want to be in denial about. This like Phuket /Samui/Pattaya needs cleaning up. so much to do so little time your giving them.

Suppose you never have been charged double for anything or no one has robbed you or cheated you during your stay here. Time now to change the things you see as no fuss.

I certainly must live in a different World to you. I don't know why this process is being cleaned up as I've never experienced the problem and not one of my friends has mentioned it. I've had problems with taxis on Samui who refused to turn on their meters and one clown who wanted to charge me a mental rate so I got out and waited for another taxi. I was burgled in 2004 which led me to start a security company providing alarm systems and CCTV etc but people get burgled all over the World (maybe not in your World as problems in yur World seem to involve massive drama in Thailand). Dual pricing? Happened to me one time at a swimming pool in Phuket where there was a dual pricing policy actually displayed on the door as you entered (and it was a municipal pool) Most ties if needed I just show either my Thai driver's license or my WP and drama averted. I have no issue with dual pricing though as generally I earn more than a Thai and paying a few baht extra to go to the zoo isn't the end of the World, is it?

Yes it is, you don't get the point YOU earn more than the Thais??? What about the Thais that earn more than you and pay less than you to enter ?? you see my point.

When a person pays 50,000 baht to travel here he comes because things are generally lower price when he gets here because of their standard of living part of the reason he comes.

Because he earns more salary than them has nothing to do with paying more that the Thai people. If you have money to play with fine the point is stop the Dung now.

What about wealthy Thais going to the UK and when asked to pay extra as they are Thais, what do you think of that. Do you think these wealthy Thais are going to say Never mind I earn more that the British worker. ??

If as you say you have had little probs in Thailand, is it because you have not lived in a rural area, or married a bar girl or have you been a city apartment dweller that rarely encounters a problem living in a more up market area.???

Everyone in Thailand I have met Has unluckily had more problems than you---BUT good for you I am not arguing with you about your situation.

I do not live in my own little world believe me.thumbsup.gif ..

Just for your information; I've not lived in rural areas, I've lived in Bangkok for a short time, Samui, Phuket and the city of Chiang Mai where I have a rather nice condo. My wife was not a bar girl, she owned a travel agency and a French restaurant when we met, been with her for almost 11 years now. I don't seem to get the problems with gouging etc and don't mind paying 50 baht extra to go to the municipal pool! One of the lucky ones? Maybe. Bit of common sense? Hopefully.

Have a nice day!

Meter taxi Jomptien 850 Baht to BKK swampy.+ tolls extra (50 baht) fee for the journey price advertised.

swampy BKK meter taxi 50 baht fee, 1750 baht meter taxi ?? price given at the DESK no meter for long runs. explain anyone, people saying it was fair before----sounds like a mini Phuket/Samui job to me.

Why would the journey from Swampy be 900 baht more-----head wind or something. ???

It's cheaper going back because you are using BKK taxis that have already delivered a fare to pattaya and rather than return empty they offer a discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Where on earth do you get discounted taxis.

I was talking about resident Pattaya taxi people. 850 bht---against the 1700 baht swampy taxis.

That's why I put the smile into the topic re back wind to Pattaya.

There is no such thing as a swampy taxi. Most licenced cabs have the official fares displayed on a laminated card strung over the front seat showing the official rate. Between pattaya/jomtien and BKK that's around 1700 baht. Anything less is discounted which you can get from drivers who don't want to return empty or from jomtien taxis who will take you to the airport for a discounted rate because they know they can get a full-fare coming back.

I've experienced my share of scams and double pricing in Thailand, but (touch wood) not with taxis at the airport. The drivers have always been willing to turn on the meter even with the family in tow (and once last year even with using two taxis to fit everybody in). When alone I was still managing to use the departures level, The only gripe I have is the fixed fare for a 'big taxi' at the official taxi desk, which in my opinion can be over-priced for nearer destinations like Bang Na. I suppose I may not have been aware of how things work, but when it comes to touts approaching travellers on arrival, it always seemed to me that it was mainly the limo bunch rather than the taxis.Most of the taxi scams I've experienced in the more distant past have been in central Bangkok or the islands.

You said if you get done you are a slow learner, so to speak. this is why I answered this way. No one should be subjected to being done in the first place--so then there would be no slow learners.

No, I didn't. I said, "If people are continually getting stiffed for one reason or another, it just proves they're slow learners, nothing else".

why cut your post to me out ?? hiding that bit are we.

Why not? I've often wondered about those folk who feel the need to quote half the thread when replying to a post.

Edited by rajyindee

They Junta should also investigate why the police with their full knowledge of the goings on have been ignoring the Mafia ran Taxis since day one at the airport and the reason why they continued to ignored them.

I certainly must live in a different World to you. I don't know why this process is being cleaned up as I've never experienced the problem and not one of my friends has mentioned it. I've had problems with taxis on Samui who refused to turn on their meters and one clown who wanted to charge me a mental rate so I got out and waited for another taxi. I was burgled in 2004 which led me to start a security company providing alarm systems and CCTV etc but people get burgled all over the World (maybe not in your World as problems in yur World seem to involve massive drama in Thailand). Dual pricing? Happened to me one time at a swimming pool in Phuket where there was a dual pricing policy actually displayed on the door as you entered (and it was a municipal pool) Most ties if needed I just show either my Thai driver's license or my WP and drama averted. I have no issue with dual pricing though as generally I earn more than a Thai and paying a few baht extra to go to the zoo isn't the end of the World, is it?

Yes it is, you don't get the point YOU earn more than the Thais??? What about the Thais that earn more than you and pay less than you to enter ?? you see my point.

When a person pays 50,000 baht to travel here he comes because things are generally lower price when he gets here because of their standard of living part of the reason he comes.

Because he earns more salary than them has nothing to do with paying more that the Thai people. If you have money to play with fine the point is stop the Dung now.

What about wealthy Thais going to the UK and when asked to pay extra as they are Thais, what do you think of that. Do you think these wealthy Thais are going to say Never mind I earn more that the British worker. ??

If as you say you have had little probs in Thailand, is it because you have not lived in a rural area, or married a bar girl or have you been a city apartment dweller that rarely encounters a problem living in a more up market area.???

Everyone in Thailand I have met Has unluckily had more problems than you---BUT good for you I am not arguing with you about your situation.

Just for your information; I've not lived in rural areas, I've lived in Bangkok for a short time, Samui, Phuket and the city of Chiang Mai where I have a rather nice condo. My wife was not a bar girl, she owned a travel agency and a French restaurant when we met, been with her for almost 11 years now. I don't seem to get the problems with gouging etc and don't mind paying 50 baht extra to go to the municipal pool! One of the lucky ones? Maybe. Bit of common sense? Hopefully.

Have a nice day!

Brilliant for you, I had an idea that this was the case,\. You do have to also realize that other persons are not quite as well off as you and always do not have extra monies at venues. Nor should they need to have---and it is nothing to do with common sense at all.

If snobbery is an asset -good for you.

All I am saying is rip offs should be outlawed then everyone would be on the same playing field.

I have been here over 30 years, and have lived a similar situation to you but it did not make me a snob/arrogant---by saying people should pay the extra because they earn more than Thais--is WRONG.

You said if you get done you are a slow learner, so to speak. this is why I answered this way. No one should be subjected to being done in the first place--so then there would be no slow learners.

No, I didn't. I said, "If people are continually getting stiffed for one reason or another, it just proves they're slow learners, nothing else".

why cut your post to me out ?? hiding that bit are we.

Why not? I've often wondered about those folk who feel the need to quote half the thread when replying to a post.

Not only you read the posts and there is no need to edit when there is room. unless you are trying to avoid printing your last post.

Meter taxi Jomptien 850 Baht to BKK swampy.+ tolls extra (50 baht) fee for the journey price advertised.

swampy BKK meter taxi 50 baht fee, 1750 baht meter taxi ?? price given at the DESK no meter for long runs. explain anyone, people saying it was fair before----sounds like a mini Phuket/Samui job to me.

Why would the journey from Swampy be 900 baht more-----head wind or something. ???

It's cheaper going back because you are using BKK taxis that have already delivered a fare to pattaya and rather than return empty they offer a discount.

I was talking about resident Pattaya taxi people. 850 bht---against the 1700 baht swampy taxis.

There is no such thing as a swampy taxi. Most licenced cabs have the official fares displayed on a laminated card strung over the front seat showing the official rate. Between pattaya/jomtien and BKK that's around 1700 baht. Anything less is discounted which you can get from drivers who don't want to return empty or from jomtien taxis who will take you to the airport for a discounted rate because they know they can get a full-fare coming back.

OK there are no swampy taxis no Jomptien taxis.

What about the Taxi that is permanently in Jomptien ??? he charges 850 baht to the airport, admitted there are some that loiter around Pattaya looking for that return fare to a swampy base he does not have ??

I will continue to wait at the 4th floor while having a Leo and a cigarette, plenty of available taxis at the cheapest prices.

I thought they had erected turnstiles, so that you can only enter the airport, and not exit to the taxi lane?

Yes thank god!

I put and post yesterday " whats worse taxi drivers or rats " these evil trolls got my posting locked!!!

Now todays subject is taxis

These criminals spoil the country

The charge extortionate fares for a 5 minute journey.

They will drive you to the wrong place deliberately.

The last thing a new visitor to thailand needs to do is encounter these bad immoral taxi drivers.

You will leave thailand vowing never to come back and you will tell everyone else you meet too!

What about the Taxi that is permanently in Jomptien ??? he charges 850 baht to the airport, admitted there are some that loiter around Pattaya looking for that return fare to a swampy base he does not have ??

I already explained it. A metered taxi would not deliver you to swampy from jomtien for 850 baht at the official rate.

The military seem intent on getting rid of a lot of bad apples, but what will happen when Thailand returns to Thai style democracy?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Then we will have more bad apples, and a few chickens .

The military seem intent on getting rid of a lot of bad apples, but what will happen when Thailand returns to Thai style democracy?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They are doing a lot of window dressing things at the moment. I hope they really start to tackle serious stuff like land encroachment or tea money in schools.

But these issues are of no concern to tourists, but airport issues are because tourism brings money into the country and that is what the government needs to encourage.

It is amazing what a single man can do when he has balls the size of boulders and an M-16 to back em up.

Good going General.

It is a form of populism... Thaksin did it by giving things away, the General does it by taking things away. Much cheaper.

• Like 1

That's great news for the traveling public. However, I'm not sure if being allowed to pick up after dropping off at departures is fair. Some Taxis could be ranked up for a long long time at arrivals before getting a fare and along comes a fellow Taxi driver and nicks one at departures. A pick up should be allowed at arrivals only..They all have to make a living and fairly if possible.

Edited by dotpoom

Getting better and better...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Agree.

Some impressive clean up programs the General has started.

Although, have a feeling he will be there for a long long time if he really wants to make sure all these programs are successful.

Don't know what all the fuss is about. I've flown in and out of BKK countless times and never, ever, had a problem. Drivers have been courteous and always ask if I want to go the toll road or not. Is this a problem that really exists because in the 13 years I've lived here I have not experienced it.

Agree 100%. I generally ask for a ride to Soi Nana which is about as time wasting as it gets for the driver.

I always go to the public taxi counter on the ground floor and have never been refused or ****** over.

It generally takes about 5 minutes to be in and on your way.

I usually bung in 100 baht tip and everyone's happy.

No doubt by the time the military bureaucrats have finished it will be like London Heathrow; a long treck to the public car park and costs an arm and a leg.

Just meddling for the sake of cheap publicity.

I already explained it. A metered taxi would not deliver you to swampy from jomtien for 850 baht at the official rate.

Do you understand there are registered meter style taxis in Pattaya, locally they use the meter.

They advertise from the car park in Jomptien the price to swampy I have paid it 850 baht, and the taxi is based in Pattaya.--100 kilometers=850+tolls.

My drive costs me 1200 baht Udon to Jomptien, 632 kilometers so work it out. He doesn't lose and he may have 2/3 runs a day.

Edited by ginjag

Agree 100%. I generally ask for a ride to Soi Nana which is about as time wasting as it gets for the driver.

I always go to the public taxi counter on the ground floor and have never been refused or ****** over.

No doubt by the time the military bureaucrats have finished it will be like London Heathrow; a long treck to the public car park and costs an arm and a leg.

PTP: meddling for the sake of very expensive publicity

This is getting more surreal by the day. All the things that are wrong with Thailand are

being cleaned up..... There are still a few bigger fish to fry like the jewelry scam that

has brought shame to Thailand for many years. But at this rate of repair Thailand will

be a paradise in a year.

Funny isn't it, in a way.. they are doing all the things Chalerm promised to do.. without telling people they have done it until afterwards. That is called planning, execution of a plan, and then communication of results.

Was weary of a junta initially, but so far these guys are doing a stellar job which IMO exceeds what any politician has ever done in the same time period for the country - with a clear and impartial mind.

Edited by TheGhostWithin

Never had any issues with taxi from Swampi.

Don Muaeng on the other hand. Jesus!

The taxis used to not want to line up, but stay in the parallell lane, waiving people over, just to tell them "no meter".

Do you understand there are registered meter style taxis in Pattaya, locally they use the meter.

They advertise from the car park in Jomptien the price to swampy I have paid it 850 baht, and the taxi is based in Pattaya.--100 kilometers=850+tolls.

Correct. They advertise because 850 is the discounted fare and not the official metered fare. You get the discounted non-metered fare because they will get a full fare (or maybe even more) on the return trip.

Have a nice day!

post-9891-0-30241900-1403174238_thumb.jp

Just arrived from swampy..no smoking on arrival or departure on outside paths-there was an army guy on a motorised scooter barking orders..to smoke you have to cross the road.

He was also moving cars on, drop off passenger and move on pronto. The taxi into Sukhumvit took 1.5 Hrs and cost 249 Baht. there were about 50 drivers waiting for fares.. If he only managed 2 fares a day a huge loss for many of them.