Thai editorial: Time to derail this gravy train

webfact

When the Junta has finished its role here , please do the same with the Australian politicians,

This is just another announcement too, just like education, taxi's etc. While they all sound good, I doubt they have any real interest or ability to do the hard work to implement these changes.

As crap as our politicians are at the moment, I would still prefer them to a dictatorship. At least we get to feel good when we kick them out.

Besides, how many hours do you think it would take for the Australian population to destroy the Thai military and have the survivors running home crying to their mums. Might even break their record for surrender to the Japanese.

So a dictatorial government is fine is it---we are seeing now for what the PTP stood for and you prefer that---summatrong.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When the Junta has finished its role here , please do the same with the Australian politicians,

Be careful what you wish for. Especially when you're wishing that a military dictatorship would take a western democracy by force.

• Like 2

Maybe not gone totally.. but if it goes on like this he won't have much of a chance next time.

The only way he will not have a chance is if they completely amend the constitution so its simply impossible for anyone other than the Democrats or an army party to get in, which is no doubt what they plan.

Reconciliation is not alienating 48.41% of the voting population, by persecuting one person whilst ignoring all other wrong doers.

They must have pretty low opinion of 48.41% intelligence if they think they will not notice what is happening when it comes to the next election.

It is not about not having PTP in power (maybe for some it is) but to make sure they can't do what they did last time. Going for total control with disregards for the rules. If the checks and balances are strengthened to make sure they can't it will be enough for most. I know it will be enough for me if they can't rob the country blind anymore or try to get dear leader back.

Basically they won't be able to make too much money out of winning the election so dear leader wont invest too much to win it. That is enough for most. They will be tied to the rules and checked all the time.

Very good points, however there's always more than one way to skin a cat, the Military do need to have a purge on the amount of "Generals" they have, as the number is pretty high, if there's no real position nor need for them, retire them, stop paying them salaries if they're not integral to the system, nepotism and cronyism within the Thai Military is still a problem, they need to get their own house in order every bit as much as the public sectors. That is what transparency is also all about, it should never be a one way mirror.

Lets wait and see what their budget for 2015 is announced and see if they've are taking (being in power) rather than "allocated" more than 10% increase, and have a justification for that increase as well... transparency wink.png

I agree there too.. however I think its unlikely that this will happen. It would be good of course.. I like the general but I doubt he will do this. He is not an saint but a mere human.

• Like 1

I agree that these steps are positive for Thailand, and if they continue, puts Thailand on the path of decreasing corruption. However, it is important for these institutions be open to public inspection. Thailand needs to publicly show the compensation of government paid salaries and to allow the media to cover all aspects of government without fear of prosecution or imprisonment for fact-based reporting.

Absolutely and should also include the military institutions. As soon as I hear that the General is embarking on an army reform, I will start believing in the coup.

What the HEL# do you think he is doing--picking his nose ??? he is trying to pave the way to doing what you stated, so for starters try to believe a little Thailand has nothing to lose by doing this.

You dont change my mind with the nose picking analogy. I want to see deeds, not words. I want to see total reform, not selective. Every coup started with the same excuses of breaking political impasse, bring back happiness, corruption too rampant and ended with an agenda. Then we start the cycle all over again. I cant be a believer if we had precedents like past coups. I am not an easy believer like you too. This coup may be different but yet to run its course. I will reserve judgement till then.

Good start mate, I want the same as you for Thai people. BUT our difference is I am cautiously optimistic and relish the clean up.

I fear a little in your approach, TIME is needed Every coup does not have to be the same, so reserve judgment by all means, Have patients--these were the words spoken by Yingluck after 1 year, Thais had that trust then look what she did ??? But I will do what Thais did I will try to be patient, if no fruits are to bear then start to bash.

Yes mate, we do want the best for Thailand. As a businessman with investment here and 7 months of lousy revenue, I do share moment of relief when the political impasse was broken. I was hoping it was the election that broke the impasse, not necessarily a coup. I still believed in the electoral process that will bring change and reform and that should be done by the electorate themselves. Anyway, water over the bridge and if the general can start the building blocks to cure the ills of the nation and enact policies and laws to ensure that future governments will follow through, then perhaps Prayuth is a new age coup leader, worthy of praise.

• Like 1

I agree that these steps are positive for Thailand, and if they continue, puts Thailand on the path of decreasing corruption. However, it is important for these institutions be open to public inspection. Thailand needs to publicly show the compensation of government paid salaries and to allow the media to cover all aspects of government without fear of prosecution or imprisonment for fact-based reporting.

Absolutely and should also include the military institutions. As soon as I hear that the General is embarking on an army reform, I will start believing in the coup.

What the HEL# do you think he is doing--picking his nose ??? he is trying to pave the way to doing what you stated, so for starters try to believe a little Thailand has nothing to lose by doing this.

You dont change my mind with the nose picking analogy. I want to see deeds, not words. I want to see total reform, not selective. Every coup started with the same excuses of breaking political impasse, bring back happiness, corruption too rampant and ended with an agenda. Then we start the cycle all over again. I cant be a believer if we had precedents like past coups. I am not an easy believer like you too. This coup may be different but yet to run its course. I will reserve judgement till then.

Good start mate, I want the same as you for Thai people. BUT our difference is I am cautiously optimistic and relish the clean up.

I fear a little in your approach, TIME is needed Every coup does not have to be the same, so reserve judgment by all means, Have patients--these were the words spoken by Yingluck after 1 year, Thais had that trust then look what she did ??? But I will do what Thais did I will try to be patient, if no fruits are to bear then start to bash.

Yes mate, we do want the best for Thailand. As a businessman with investment here and 7 months of lousy revenue, I do share moment of relief when the political impasse was broken. I was hoping it was the election that broke the impasse, not necessarily a coup. I still believed in the electoral process that will bring change and reform and that should be done by the electorate themselves. Anyway, water over the bridge and if the general can start the building blocks to cure the ills of the nation and enact policies and laws to ensure that future governments will follow through, then perhaps Prayuth is a new age coup leader, worthy of praise.

Your post to my mind is good. I agree that an election would have been a better option NORMALLY. Enough said on that because I feel it would not have been a good move, and I feel sure your business may have suffered more because an election would have been the complete break up of Thailand, so good for your business and Thailand we hope this will give us something to shout positive aboutthumbsup.gif I meant it--your post was good thinking.

Walking in to a few hundred Thai public company board rooms and seeing the photos of countless generals on the wall of the board rooms was always puzzling. Until it became clear. They are all patronage appointed positions. The Thai army is nothing more than a security force for the Thai business class elite establishment. That's what this is all about. When things reach the "disturbance" level and fear of rioting and most of all, looting kicks in, they call their old friend whose picture is on the board room wall and inform him it is time. That's what's been going on for decades in Thailand.

The Thai army is not a fighting force as we know fighting forces, it couldn't prevent closure of the international airport or chose not to and sat by watching the mayhem and chaos internationally and economically. The Thais rarely if ever send forces to troubled spots, they can't seem to come up with a way to stop revolutionary guerilla killing and bombing in the south of their own land for over ten years, there is no real security provided by the Thai army. They can't even spot a commercial 777 jetliner flying off course over their southern land and seashore or scramble a jet to check it out. Human trafficking goes on every day all over Thailand and its sea provinces and the Thai army seems powerless to stop it or unwilling. So it's clear to see that it's really just a protection or security force for the Thai establishment who live behind those gated walls and in those staff driven MBs and exclusive clubs and golf courses.

Their doing all this purging and so called reform, and some it is well intentioned and a good idea. The questions are who is ultimately accountable for all these decisions? Where will the buck stop when some of these decisions go stale or become ineffective or wrong? What about transparency? While they are purging state board members in THAI and elsewhere, are they also looking to remove some of the army generals who have absolutely no expertise or value add to the businesses on which they sit as paid board members? What about publishing the salaries, perqs, benefits and retirement plans for the military? Do they plan to be really transparent and prove it?

Any response from TV's self-styled Prayuth 'happy clappers' Glee Club? No?

I thought not.

• Like 2

Walking in to a few hundred Thai public company board rooms and seeing the photos of countless generals on the wall of the board rooms was always puzzling. Until it became clear. They are all patronage appointed positions. The Thai army is nothing more than a security force for the Thai business class elite establishment. That's what this is all about. When things reach the "disturbance" level and fear of rioting and most of all, looting kicks in, they call their old friend whose picture is on the board room wall and inform him it is time. That's what's been going on for decades in Thailand.

The Thai army is not a fighting force as we know fighting forces, it couldn't prevent closure of the international airport or chose not to and sat by watching the mayhem and chaos internationally and economically. The Thais rarely if ever send forces to troubled spots, they can't seem to come up with a way to stop revolutionary guerilla killing and bombing in the south of their own land for over ten years, there is no real security provided by the Thai army. They can't even spot a commercial 777 jetliner flying off course over their southern land and seashore or scramble a jet to check it out. Human trafficking goes on every day all over Thailand and its sea provinces and the Thai army seems powerless to stop it or unwilling. So it's clear to see that it's really just a protection or security force for the Thai establishment who live behind those gated walls and in those staff driven MBs and exclusive clubs and golf courses.

Their doing all this purging and so called reform, and some it is well intentioned and a good idea. The questions are who is ultimately accountable for all these decisions? Where will the buck stop when some of these decisions go stale or become ineffective or wrong? What about transparency? While they are purging state board members in THAI and elsewhere, are they also looking to remove some of the army generals who have absolutely no expertise or value add to the businesses on which they sit as paid board members? What about publishing the salaries, perqs, benefits and retirement plans for the military? Do they plan to be really transparent and prove it?

I thought not.

Whatever your comments on the Army that is your personal gripe.

Most of this mess created by the PTP could have been checked and controlled by your Thaksin police force. but the same as the last coup had no idea how to take care of Thailand people. They WERE a franchise or money collectors --hopefully that's changed now.

The long time ago airport seizure should have been the polices job.

All your rant has been about poss lack of transparency within the army ??? no mention of the Shins/PTP ---reality who were responsible for accounts during the last 3 years (or lack of). it's all well and good slagging of the cleaners when the slagging off of the dirty regime would be more in order.

• Like 2

Every Government that came into power after a coup in Thailand, all had their own "gravy trains" the next one elected will have one too.. it is inevitable as history is very repetitive in Thailand, what needs to be derailed is the "If it's not to our benefit, then lets have a coup" mentality.

Is that the same as the, "Someone's been eating my porridge gravy, let's have a coup" mentality?

• Like 2

I was against coup at first, but then "Thai democracy" really wasn't. Obscene things gotten away with such as those perks. I do hope the general has very good bodyguards and security. His actions for the better of Thailand are going to really piss off some of the heavy hitters in this land. They are going to be hit hard in pocket book, and you need to be extra careful when getting between cash cow and milker.

• Like 1

I thought not.

Most of this mess created by the PTP could have been checked and controlled by your Thaksin police force. but the same as the last coup had no idea how to take care of Thailand people. They WERE a franchise or money collectors --hopefully that's changed now.

All your rant has been about poss lack of transparency within the army ??? no mention of the Shins/PTP ---reality who were responsible for accounts during the last 3 years (or lack of). it's all well and good slagging of the cleaners when the slagging off of the dirty regime would be more in order.

But noitom never mentioned PTP, Thaksin or the Shins/PTP. Neither did I.

But you managed all three and still didn't manage to qualify this fawning adulation for Prayuth.

Just more of the same, "But they did this and they were doing did that!" Hardly an endorsement for a dictatorship, benevolent or otherwise.

• Like 1

oh lordy lord i'm loving this. I hope the Generals next mission is to drive all the crazy red farangs from Thaivisa smile.png

Please enlighten us oh "All-in-the-name-of-democracy"... Who are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

haha. Yes, who are they?

Even they are too embarrassed to say they support the PTP now.

The amount of times I have read "The Junta is evil, the DEM's are evil. thaksin is misunderstood, yinglick is the smartest PM in Thai history, BUT I don't support the PTP or the red shirts" or "I really thought the PTP were doing a good job and I believe in democracy and one vote, BUT I don't support the PTP or the red shirts"

It is like me having an Essendon avatar on TVF and going to a football match wearing an Essendon shirt, Essendon face paint and clapping every time Essendon kick a goal, BUT I don't support Essendon.

OK show us the posts then. Shouldn't be too hard

The army will find it exceedingly difficult to derail any of these "gravy trains" because the gravy has congealed a long time ago.

Anyone would find it difficult, Who has made the train go off the rails ??? who has congealed it especially the last 3 years,

Of course it is a Mega problem for anyone BUT someone has to try better than your pessimistic doom and gloom, If you were down and out in your life at some stage and you were offered a little help so you could make it through wouldn't you be happy ???

But for a few on forum everything has turned against their dream.

Just a realistic outlook sadly, nothing personal.

I have received an "offer" of so called help but it comes at a steep price, loss of my freedom.

It's deeply sad and worrying to see people celebrating a military overthrow of a democratically (yes, however fragile and flawed the process it is at least more just than rule by might) because it removed people with whom they disagree, or even more despicably, because they think it'll improve their business revenue.

Criticise Thailand and its democracy all you like, but consider that when you act and speak in such craven, destructive, spiteful self-interest that you might be part of the problem, not the solution.

Edited by RogueLeader
  • Like 1

The Nation speaks out after the coup when it's deemed safe to shout your mouth off about corruption, mafias and malfeasance. Could they not have done this 4 or 5 weeks ago?

Your "Derailing the Gravy Train" is "Jumping on a Band Wagon".

I thought not.

But noitom never mentioned PTP, Thaksin or the Shins/PTP. Neither did I.

But you managed all three and still didn't manage to qualify this fawning adulation for Prayuth.

Just more of the same, "But they did this and they were doing did that!" Hardly an endorsement for a dictatorship, benevolent or otherwise.

I would not bother, no matter the topic, his/her posts are the same. Follow dear leader or you are a red apologist.

For corruption to be eliminated, it must come from the top down. In this case the military as pointed out by noitom. As there has been no suggestion of this being part of the reforms, it would be hard for a reasonable person to think that it was more than a clearing out of the wrong people. I doubt any democratic country would have so many generals in so many external positions. Don't they have a job to do cheesy.gif

• Like 1

The Nation speaks out after the coup when it's deemed safe to shout your mouth off about corruption, mafias and malfeasance. Could they not have done this 4 or 5 weeks ago?

Your "Derailing the Gravy Train" is "Jumping on a Band Wagon".

I was pretty sure you were already aware of the vagaries of Thailand's 'free' press, regardless of who is in the big house. I mean, regardless of who is in charge.

oh lordy lord i'm loving this. I hope the Generals next mission is to drive all the crazy red farangs from Thaivisa smile.png

haha. Yes, who are they?

The amount of times I have read "The Junta is evil, the DEM's are evil. thaksin is misunderstood, yinglick is the smartest PM in Thai history, BUT I don't support the PTP or the red shirts" or "I really thought the PTP were doing a good job and I believe in democracy and one vote, BUT I don't support the PTP or the red shirts"

It is like me having an Essendon avatar on TVF and going to a football match wearing an Essendon shirt, Essendon face paint and clapping every time Essendon kick a goal, BUT I don't support Essendon.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/733279-junta-cancels-free-flights-of-thai-board-members/?p=7956764

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/734089-prayuth-says-ncpo-will-not-continue-rice-pledging-scheme/?p=7966935

My favorite is Binjalins. "I am not pro PTP I am anti-elite" http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/721938-abhisit-floats-minor-reforms/?p=7747008

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728966-prayuth-says-transfers-made-for-suitability-of-current-situation-army-spokesman/?p=7881279

Someone that sees the same trend as me

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729048-violators-of-lese-majesty-law-coup-orders-to-face-court-martial/?p=7883460

In the spirit of the folk that are not "pro PTP" or "pro red" I might finish my comments off as;

"I am not pro DEM or pro PDRC, I am anti violence, anti terrorist, anti corruption, anti abuse of power and anti 1 principle of democracy while abusing the other 14"

• Like 2

Do you actually think the red shirts are the sole problem here? How many of these greedy, graft-hungry, corrupt people that have been appointed to these positions of power, with no expertise or experience for the jobs, are red shirts. I'm guessing zero.

• Like 2

I would certainly chip in towards their air fares.

So what exactly are you saying here? Do you want to purge tv.com of all people who don't agree with you politically?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

meeting fees?

Aren't meetings part of the job description? Did they get paid extra to go to the toilet and read the newspaper?

Yes meetings with a fee attached are normal in many such situations, nothing new at all.

But what you obviously are not mentioning is the factor of the amount of the meeting fee.

And the other factor is the qualifications ... or the lack thereof ... of the people in these meetings. How much useful work do they actually do ... and how much do they get paid. I suppose very little to zero useful work and lots and lots of payment.

• Like 1

Loving the positive garbage sweeping mission that the General has set as his bucket list as well but I disagree with the last bit. The crazy red, and 'coups are bad cause hisory is static', and 'the only requirement of democaracy is having elections' falangs serve a useful purpose for optimistic positive people to be able to identify quickly pessimistic negative people. And that is a neccessity in Thailand which sure does attract them.

Please don't get rid of the red shirts from TVF, they're one of the reasons to look in everyday! Damn! If they were gone who would we laugh at??? wink.pngtongue.png

• Like 1

It's deeply sad and worrying to see people celebrating a military overthrow of a democratically (yes, however fragile and flawed the process it is at least more just than rule by might) because it removed people with whom they disagree, or even more despicably, because they think it'll improve their business revenue.

Criticise Thailand and its democracy all you like, but consider that when you act and speak in such craven, destructive, spiteful self-interest that you might be part of the problem, not the solution.

When you look at the history of Thailand in the modern era you will find precious little "democracy"! Thai governments have been described as "dictaterships without a dictator" Thai's seem to be happy with a "benevolent dictatorship"....good for them!

Democracies don't seem to be doing a good job lately? Just look at Australia, America, UK etc.. wai.gifsmile.png

Let's not have any elections . . . the "junta" seems to be doing a great job so far and I would hate to see the politicians reverse all these positive steps forward. There's a long way to go, but I'm hopeful that at the end of the day this will be the start of something new and fresh for Thailand.

Electing the unelectable is becoming a very common problem world wide. People are becoming more savvy with the daily exposure of graft and greed in the ranks in all sorts of fancy pantsy democracies.

What this does show, quite unequivocally, that there are many Thais only too aware of the iniquities of their own political and legal system, and share many of the same concerns that have been discussed with great energy and frequency on Thai Visa.

This Thai, our populist General, has made use of the stale mate fracturing of the political system, and his own firepower to actually do something about it.

I also say good on the Thais that took risks to also get on the street and make their thoughts known.

"....... that there are many Thais only too aware of the iniquities of their own political and legal system, ......."

At the risk of having a moderator delete my post because of a "grammar" point, I would like to add that you may also have used a word that is very similar in spelling but quite different in meaning. That word is inequities.

"....... that there are many Thais only too aware of the inequities of their own political and legal system, ......"

It has frequently been pointed out that the second word has been the cause of many of the problems facing Thailand today. Unfairness in the selection of political representatives, job opportunities, application of the justice system due to personal connections and knowing powerful people. It may be possible that under the junta, we may see the start of a more equitable application of the law by the courts where justice is applied to all cases regardless of social standing. No more dismissal of charges due to the case of "Whom it is one knows or how powerful one's family is". Justice for all!.

Thailand has long been content to be ruled by iniquitous politicians until finally people started to say "Enough is enough, the country has suffered financial stress for too long"

Now let's hope people start to protest against the inequities as well, and perhaps a start can be made by releasing from prison those who are there on trumped up charges and unfair judgments, regardless of color coding (red or yellow)and get those into the prisons who have abused the system for their own benefit and personal gain. I think we all know who they are.

Start treating all people equally.

Iniquity : immoral or grossly unfair behavior.

Inequity: lack of equity; injustice; unfairness

• Like 2

haha. Yes, who are they?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/733279-junta-cancels-free-flights-of-thai-board-members/?p=7956764

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/734089-prayuth-says-ncpo-will-not-continue-rice-pledging-scheme/?p=7966935

My favorite is Binjalins. "I am not pro PTP I am anti-elite" http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/721938-abhisit-floats-minor-reforms/?p=7747008

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728966-prayuth-says-transfers-made-for-suitability-of-current-situation-army-spokesman/?p=7881279

Someone that sees the same trend as me

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729048-violators-of-lese-majesty-law-coup-orders-to-face-court-martial/?p=7883460

In the spirit of the folk that are not "pro PTP" or "pro red" I might finish my comments off as;

"I am not pro DEM or pro PDRC, I am anti violence, anti terrorist, anti corruption, anti abuse of power and anti 1 principle of democracy while abusing the other 14"

Retracted

Edited by NanLaew

Why stop there there? Why not confine the whole site to National News Bureau of Thailand proclamations.

That should make many here very happy.

• Like 1