WHO report reveals Thailand is reeling under a liquor tsunami

webfact

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next to it was the even cheaper Song Sam -Bt271 and 40 per cent proof.

Lovely writing! What is this?

I agree that the taxes on alcohol don't make any sense to me. They do drive people, especially lower-income groups, to drink "the hard stuff" because there's a financial incentive to do so. Go sit on any beach chair and watch the Thai men. Do the same at any bar frequented by Thais. It's always a bottle of whiskey, ice, and mixers. While most Thai men I know do like to drink beer, they tend to drink more whiskey than beer. The argument that people should be encouraged to drink less spririts and more beer seems like a valid first step for me. These number are astounding if 70% of the population actually does abstain.

• Like 2

"Thailand is ranked fourth-highest in the world for consumption of alcohol."

Thailand-The Hub of Hootch. wai2.gif wai2.gif wai2.gif

I categorically deny this is anything to do with me and will have no hesitation in employing Thailand's ' user friendly ' defamation laws if necessary.

• Like 1

Next to it was the even cheaper Song Sam -Bt271 and 40 per cent proof.

Lovely writing! What is this?

I agree that the taxes on alcohol don't make any sense to me. They do drive people, especially lower-income groups, to drink "the hard stuff" because there's a financial incentive to do so. Go sit on any beach chair and watch the Thai men. Do the same at any bar frequented by Thais. It's always a bottle of whiskey, ice, and mixers. While most Thai men I know do like to drink beer, they tend to drink more whiskey than beer. The argument that people should be encouraged to drink less spririts and more beer seems like a valid first step for me. These number are astounding if 70% of the population actually does abstain.

" The argument that people should be encouraged to drink less spririts and more beer seems like a valid first step for me. " Isn't it somewhat ironic suggesting heavy drinkers switch drinks and drink more!

• Like 2

Just had a quick glance at the report and there are many countries with a average consumption of more than 10 litres per year.

This is just sensationalism.

I agree some some people drink a lot but when compared to European countries it's nothing.

• Like 1

Just had a quick glance at the report and there are many countries with a average consumption of more than 10 litres per year.

This is just sensationalism.

I agree some some people drink a lot but when compared to European countries it's nothing.

... it's the intake of pure alcohol and not the volume of certain drinks.

• Like 2

Just look at the Forbes Rich List and you will see that the alcohol tycoons have had the government in their pocket. I doubt very much that Prayuth can do much about it as he also needs powerful civilians on his side. I do however wish the new government would change the tax structure to discourage spirits consumption.

" The argument that people should be encouraged to drink less spririts and more beer seems like a valid first step for me. " Isn't it somewhat ironic suggesting heavy drinkers switch drinks and drink more!

Yes, it's a bit silly that the writer recommends switching drinks instead of abstaining or quitting, drinking less or less often.

I think the best solution is to legalize much less harmful alternative recreational drugs like MDMA or cannabis. The ethanol producers have had their monopoly for far too long and at great cost to the health of the worldwide human population.

• Like 2

The casual use of the word Tsunami in the title seems callous given the tragic loss of life in Thailand from a Tsunami.

Don't be such a soft-cocked P.C. git and harden the <deleted> up. Next thing you'll be complaining about the use of the word 'car' because of the number of deaths they cause on Thai roads.

• Like 1

The casual use of the word Tsunami in the title seems callous given the tragic loss of life in Thailand from a Tsunami.

Oh please. Let's not start censoring words now. If I say I woke up feeling like death am I disrespecting dead people?
  • Like 1

First they taxed Wine and I did not speak out--

Because I don’t drink wine

Then they taxed Foreign Lager , and I did not speak out--

Because I don’t drink Carlsberg

Then they taxed Cider , and I did not speak out--

Because I don’t drink fermented apple juice.

Then they taxed Lao Khao -- then I knew they were taking the p*** !

Funny one, I am against taxing things too much. However if you got free healthcare and the results of drinking strain those budgets a lot because those drinking don't pay more as those not drinking one has to wonder.

I mean why would everyone have to pay more taxes to support healthcare for those that drink too much and damage their body. Isnt it better to use the taxes from alcohol for this ?.

Of course foreigners don't get the free healthcare but as we are a minority I do see the sense.

I am a firm believer to put the cost with those who cause it.

• Like 1

Funny one, I am against taxing things too much. However if you got free healthcare and the results of drinking strain those budgets a lot because those drinking don't pay more as those not drinking one has to wonder.

I mean why would everyone have to pay more taxes to support healthcare for those that drink too much and damage their body. Isnt it better to use the taxes from alcohol for this ?.

Of course foreigners don't get the free healthcare but as we are a minority I do see the sense.

They should also ban the use of cars and motorbikes, because the pollution weighs on the free health care.

At the same time they should ban sodas, sugars, the uv rays from the sun etc for the same reason.

No, it is all about CONTROL.

They should also ban the use of cars and motorbikes, because the pollution weighs on the free health care.

At the same time they should ban sodas, sugars, the uv rays from the sun etc for the same reason.

No, it is all about CONTROL.

There is already quite a bit of tax on fuel. Maybe your a heavy drinker.. they hate tax on alcohol.

My argument was quite sound as this article showed.

• Like 1

The problem IS very serious in Thailand, and in many other countries. The only thing that has worked in Australia is much tougher driving laws, which are strictly enforced. Over the whole Christmas /New Year period, being over the limit can result in automatic loss of license, heavy fine, and even jail. My sons and their friends either stay over,or have designated drivers. Australia used to have the worst alcohol related road accident rate in the world, but its much better now. But the Friday night syndrome is now totally out of control, even though alcohol is taxed heavily. There is no easy solution, but increasing taxes here would help. Promoting sport in schools and encouraging healthy active lifestyles may help too. Personally I'd like to ban mobile phones for a while, but I guess people would drink more.

• Like 2

Don't be such a soft-cocked P.C. git and harden the <deleted> up. Next thing you'll be complaining about the use of the word 'car' because of the number of deaths they cause on Thai roads.

well written,these PC plonkers ought to be made to wear school uniforms and suck dummies

• Like 2