What is happening with prices, and Thanks to this forum

johnmcedinghburg

Why are prices of Some prices rising so much?

Dish Washing detergent in Carrefour over 450bt one kg

Rimping over 700bt??

Thanks to this forum at home pro only 269bt a kg

Almost wanted to make iT myselves

Coffee shops

AirPort plaza, cakes same price but smaller? So more expensieve

Prices of cup of coffee Starbucks 5% up i think you could make around 55 to 60 cup of coffee out of one kg so higher Then price increase of coffee i think

Carrefour foodland, most food got new stickers with higher prices, less food and more water.

So maybe im wrong but maybe you got THE same feeling.

Could be an Nice topic?

Jme

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are price watching: pineapples in Lotus around 29-35 Bt per pineapple. In the market 30 Bt per kilo which works out more per pineapple. Cheap in Muang Mai market but big problem with a disease that makes them brown in the middle.

Pineapples from Lotus also last longer as they are kept in AC.

That's my tip for the day!

I find the same product for differnt prices at differnt places, what I call shopping (as opposed to buying which is what my GF does when she sees shoes she doesn't need).

I sells coconuts for 2 bht ea. to the guy who collects them and at Makro they sell them usually for around 22 bht ea. recently

• Like 1

Fresh coconuts used to be 22Baht at Rimping, now I think around 40!

A prime example of shopping foolishness, why on earth would you buy local fruit from Rimping?

Go to the local markets.

I looked at the prices of Yellow mango in Rimping, those ones with the pink blush, 80bht/kg in Rimping & Tops, 20bht/kg at my local stall.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

Yes I find the prices fluctuate a lot, esp coconuts seasonally and due to supply and demand. But many others raise for what I believe are false economic indicators,basically artificially raised and then lowered, but still a higher price then originally, to make consumers feel better about paying more for the same thing.

Coconut prices vary a lot throughout the year, but they could be more expensive than in the past. It gets confusing trying to keep track.

one reason they are so expensive - about 35 Bath each at Muang Mai Market is that most of them that are really good and sweet and with lots of water come from the South of Thailand - Pattani, etc. it costs money to get them all the way up here. the ones sold by some vendors in the tourist areas come from Chiang Rai and are often inedible (but tourists don't know the difference). i'm pretty sure the ones at Rimping come from the South.

• Like 1

Not just shopping for food either. I've watched Thai street food creep up 5 baht at a time for a while now. Its still cheap of course but a 5 baht increase on a 30 baht bowl of noodles is a 15% increase (I think). And if you were a Thai making 300 baht a day, every baht counts. Food prices get too high and the next thing you know people are in the streets and . . . . . oh wait, that already happened . . . .

OP welcome to reality. Thailand ain't the cheap place we used to read about in travel books 25 years ago is it?. now, it costs more to live here than in some European cities.

coffee is still cheaper here than anywhere i have ever been; including Central and South America. you must be buying in the wrong places. Duang Dee (for example) if you buy wholesale is dirt cheap. there is plenty of good quality bread around cheap.

oops just noticed you meant "coffee shops". shop around. there are still places that sell very good coffee for 30-40 Baht per cup. avoid Starbucks???? and a place call Tom Tom or something like that that sells coffee that tastes like dirt for 105 Baht per cup!

• Like 1

Coconut prices vary a lot throughout the year, but they could be more expensive than in the past. It gets confusing trying to keep track.

one reason they are so expensive - about 35 Bath each at Muang Mai Market is that most of them that are really good and sweet and with lots of water come from the South of Thailand - Pattani, etc. it costs money to get them all the way up here. the ones sold by some vendors in the tourist areas come from Chiang Rai and are often inedible (but tourists don't know the difference). i'm pretty sure the ones at Rimping come from the South.

Most came from the south 2 years ago, 10bht each from the market, diesel is still the same price.

It's out of season for coconuts. cool season (Nov-Jan) is when they are cheap and plentiful.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Just bought some liver-paste in Rimping, used to be B65 in the dim-and-distant, then went to B85 more-recently. Now gone up to B95 ! blink.png

I really must look more-closely at the price, before I drop stuff in my shopping-basket, in future.

Still, according to the Isaan-Darling, it's all just in-my-imagination ! laugh.png

Free coconuts at my place - there's a catch , you have to go up the tree to get them!

Right, and that is another reason why the price of coconuts has risen, is getting people to collect the coconuts. On a recent trip to Trat where the coconuts are delicious and plentiful, they cost the same as anywhere else - about 40 Baht each. The growers told us that that they can't get the Cambodian workers to pick coconuts for any less than 500 Baht per day.

• Like 1

Coconuts as a commodity are so plentiful here in Thailand that they have virtually no intrinsic value.

The price you pay reflects the labour of harvesting. transporting, and selling them.

This basic scenario is upset when greedy middlemen enter the picture and raise prices by usury, price fixing, and other sleazy practices.

The classic Marx Brothers film "The Coconuts" examines this problem in depth under the guise of wacky satire.

• Like 2

Its always amazed me why anyone would buy fruit and vegetables from Rimping/Tops/Big C/Tesco. The abundance of fresh markets here at a fraction of their price and freshness makes an obvious comparison. Only exclusion is Makro who are at times are close to market prices and have high turnover.

As for Starbucks and other high end coffee shops why would you ? I must admit Starbucks have done a great marketing job into conning you that to be part of the Starbucks scene makes you a little bit special but if you conducted a taste test, no one would know the difference between a Doi Chang/Duang Dee/Starbucks or any other emerging brands.There is a huge profit margin in making coffee especially with the low wages paid.

Price for some cheeses and milk .especially those from NZ, is because the the NZ $ has surged against the poor old struggling baht but even if the baht gets back on its feet the price will never come down again,they never do !

When I first came to Thailand 12 years ago,working in Bangkok, inflation was negligible those days are well and truly over and it will get worse so time to shop smarter for some of us anyway.

• Like 2

Free coconuts at my place - there's a catch , you have to go up the tree to get them!

Right, and that is another reason why the price of coconuts has risen, is getting people to collect the coconuts. On a recent trip to Trat where the coconuts are delicious and plentiful, they cost the same as anywhere else - about 40 Baht each. The growers told us that that they can't get the Cambodian workers to pick coconuts for any less than 500 Baht per day.

In Bangsaphan, south of Hua Hin,where we holiday, we are always fascinated by the monkeys, on long chains, who scramble up the tree and select the fruit that is ready for harvesting and drop it to the ground.

I doubt they have had a pay rise or a day off.

In Bangsaphan, south of Hua Hin,where we holiday, we are always fascinated by the monkeys, on long chains, who scramble up the tree and select the fruit that is ready for harvesting and drop it to the ground.

pay them peanuts,and you get monkeys

Also Bread central festival food land müsli Bread few days ago 60bt yesterday 109bt increase of almost 90%

More expensieve Then europe.?

I've only been in Chiang Mai 30 months, and I've never heard of this Carrefour place. where is it?

Also Bread central festival food land müsli Bread few days ago 60bt yesterday 109bt increase of almost 90%

I've only been in Chiang Mai 30 months, and I've never heard of this Carrefour place. where is it?

Among other places, it's in France. It used to be in Thailand but Carrefour retreated from SE Asia at least a couple of years ago.

Yes, 25 or more years ago it was common to see that in Koh Samui. The tourists were amused by it. During the month we spent in Trat we only saw one guy with a monkey who picked the fruit (on Koh Kood). The locals said the owner was a bad guy and mistreated and over-worked the monkey. But there is only so many coconuts a monkey can get in a day compared to workers with all the climbing gear and people below loading them up.

Among other places, it's in France. It used to be in Thailand but Carrefour retreated from SE Asia at least a couple of years ago.

I'm pretty sure he is referring to Tops at Central Festival since he says "central festival".

Wonder why he mentioned them? I'm sure cheese (and wine!) is heaps cheaper in France.

The flooding in the south last year devastated the coconut plantations and even today there is still a shortage of coconut milk in cartons. Still no Aroi Dee and the other big brand that escapes my memory. The manager at Makro said that as soon as they fill the shelf with new, imported stock people take it all. Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 2

A prime example of shopping foolishness, why on earth would you buy local fruit from Rimping?

Go to the local markets.

I looked at the prices of Yellow mango in Rimping, those ones with the pink blush, 80bht/kg in Rimping & Tops, 20bht/kg at my local stall.

So only fools buy fruit at Rimping. Good one.

It closed about 2 years ago.