Thai tourism industry leery of 'low-end' Chinese tourists

webfact

Sorry for the quote mess up above but I'm fascinated, is there really a park they charge foreigners admission in Thailand? I've been here some time but not actually encountered that.

Parks, temples, tourist attractions in general.

When we have guests we advise them if there is dual pricing when we take them to places.

We simply say we will not patronize such places but we have absolutely no objection if you wish to.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Next Door Neighbor:

We don't need a pool of 1.4 billion people traipsing all over Thailand, spending money. No. You are velly, velly "low end" people with silly names.

Please try Cambodia. Or maybe North Korea.

Thank you.

Khun Turdsak

Thai Tourism Authority.

P.S. That travel guide your government put out last year isn't helping. You still talk loud while picking your noses. We don't do that here.

Edited by HeijoshinCool

Thailand: the final destination; for low end nose picking Chinese, poor classless hippies/students, sex pervs, non native speaking English teachers, drunks, various types of criminals including out right idiots, wannabe bar owners, oldies etc.

And Phillipines. This is not off topic. Why is it that the bargirls who know me always shout "Cheap Chinese" or something like that every time they see me?

Thailand: the final destination; for low end nose picking Chinese, poor classless hippies/students, sex pervs, non native speaking English teachers, drunks, various types of criminals including out right idiots, wannabe bar owners, oldies etc.

What is your classification, I have my own idea thumbsup.gif

I am a very wise intelligent sage, and I know that you lack any idea about anything! Don't smile because it makes you look moronic.

You're a crack up dude. Almost everything you have posted in this thread makes YOU look " moronic".

You must be right, you are a professional, thank you master!

And Phillipines. This is not off topic. Why is it that the bargirls who know me always shout "Cheap Chinese" or something like that every time they see me?

Perhaps you look Asian, pick your nose, spit, look for freebies and can't speak English.

Sorry for the quote mess up above but I'm fascinated, is there really a park they charge foreigners admission in Thailand? I've been here some time but not actually encountered that.

There is indeed. One of the most outrageous examples I came across were the waterfalls in some valleys North of Chiangmai (around Mae Sa Valley and on Doi Suthep as well, on the way to the temple).

I don't know what it's like now, but about 10 years ago they used to charge something like 30 bahts for Thais and 300 for foreigners !!! I was so astounded that I actually burst out laughing... and turned around, never to come back. Incidentally, when you do that (turn around) you are automatically labelled 'stingy' ... it wouldn't occur to the ticket vendor or other onlooking Thais that perhaps it's not about being stingy or generous but about self-respect.

On the subject of Chinese tourists, I was in Chiangmai recently, after about 2 years of not going there, and I was totally amazed by the enormous changes incurred by Chinese tourism there.

All the restaurants now have a menu in Chinese, almost all the hotels compete to attract them, the night bazar is in a state of semi-decline because the kind of handicraft that used to make its reputation is obviously not their cup of tea (way too 'ethnic' i'll bet), they drive scooters and bicycles all over town, totally oblivious of the dangers they face (and cause)... It's a totally new Chiangmai, that's for sure.

I have Thai friends there, some of them complain (for the reasons repeatedly stated in the posts above), others say that Chinese tourism blossomed very suddenly and at a time when the situation seemed pretty gloomy so they're rather grateful and realistic : 'ok they're not perfect, but at least they're here' !

My impression is that we are often quick to point fingers at the nationality of tourists when they're being obnoxious, but the real problem is elsewhere, and most of all in group tourism. I've been to Chiangmai a million times and group tourism has been prevalent there for at least 20 years. That's a normal process : rich and educated travelers look for destinations that are not yet popular with 'the masses' and then gradually, the masses take over, primarily in the form of group tourism, chasing the 'quality tourists' away. On the Asian continent at present the latter can be found in Myanmar, Buthan, Ladakh, Pondicherry, Guilin, Hue, Papua, etc and their motto is "darling you simply have to see that place before the tourists flock in!". They don't consider themselves as tourists, you see.

People who travel in groups are not idiots. But they are people, and you need not have a Phd in sociology to know the difference between group behaviour and individual behaviour. Individuals are very seldom stupid whereas groups almost always are. Just an obvious example : medical students are not renowned for their lack of intelligence and yet when they are involved in some kind of collective event they become notoriously obnoxious, rude, stupid and even dangerous.

I remember groups of Europeans (especially French) in Chiangmai a few years ago, and their behaviour was, to put it mildly, not exactly respectful of local culture and people. They guffawed at anything unusual, talked very loudly (stereotyped behaviour #1 in any group), kept comparing everything with what it was like 'back home', were shocked that the local people didn't speak French, etc. OK the group Chinese may talk a little bit louder, spend a little less, spit a lot more, but all in all it seems to me they're not so different from any other group of tourists, ie they're just as bad, lol.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All these poor buggers want is a few days in the sun and a break from the daily grind like most other people. Is that a crime these days?

I agree!

Packages Tours or not, nobody is losing money on them being here. I have lived here quite awhile and ran into many of these groups and I never felt insulted by them once. Actually it was kind of funny to watch their eyes and faces at a Girly Show in Bangkok.

You would hardly call the hordes of Englush.,Aussie,German etc tourists high end either - tourists come hear because it's cheap!

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Per head of person they still would spend triple or more in the Thai economy.

All paid in china with meals and accommodation with tours.

Very little spending money per person is used on these tours.

Screaming, spiting, pissing, farting and thats just in the hotel lobby.

Best one is consuming mini bars and refusing to pay as they claim its a free gift.

This is a really bad post and sort of racist post.

just for sake of it, not a single Chinese was seen any where in Thailand begging......??

In actual fact there are fake Chinese monks who roam Bangkok streets begging! Edited by Hawk

What is your classification, I have my own idea thumbsup.gif

I am a very wise intelligent sage, and I know that you lack any idea about anything! Don't smile because it makes you look moronic.

Yea and I love me too-----------------------------------coffee1.gif

True story:

I was having lunch at The Oriental a few weeks ago with three friends. At the next table to us was a large family group of Chinese tourists, one of whom was a baby. About half way through our lunch, the Chinese family realised that the baby had soiled its nappy, so they put the baby on their table and changed the child's dirty diaper! If this is what the hi-so Chinese do, God only knows what the 'low-end' are like.

• Like 2

Who are the Thais to be calling anybody else "low end"? The only thing high end about tourism in Thailand lately are the prices. Certainly not the service or facilities or anything else. My girlfriend speaks Chinese, one day we were walking next to a bunch of Chinese tourist and she over heard them saying what a mess everything here is and how lousy the service is and that they would never come back here.

• Like 1

True story:

I was having lunch at The Oriental a few weeks ago with three friends. At the next table to us was a large family group of Chinese tourists, one of whom was a baby. About half way through our lunch, the Chinese family realised that the baby had soiled its nappy, so they put the baby on their table and changed the child's dirty diaper! If this is what the hi-so Chinese do, God only knows what the 'low-end' are like.

Now that really takes the biscuit.

Who are the Thais to be calling anybody else "low end"? The only thing high end about tourism in Thailand lately are the prices. Certainly not the service or facilities or anything else. My girlfriend speaks Chinese, one day we were walking next to a bunch of Chinese tourist and she over heard them saying what a mess everything here is and how lousy the service is and that they would never come back here.

There are a few high end Chinese tourists. But the ones coming on a package tour to be ferried around Pattaya are hardly high end.

True story:

Not just the chinese , I saw something similar in a restaurant in the US and they were not chinese - American BTW

• Like 2

True story:

"Never poo-poo a Poo Poo !" as General Melchet would undoubtedly have said ! laugh.png

• Like 1

True story:

Not just the chinese , I saw something similar in a restaurant in the US and they were not chinese - American BTW

me too. in the usa you can even see in restaurants things a lot worser than this :-D btw in uk and australia too :-D

Why would they want to purchase trinkets here that are made in china? Think about it before saying something that you or I may not have a clue about.

And the stuff here is 10 times more the Chinese and even Americans can not believe the crazy prices and feel they are being rip off,

They want rich dumb hi so tourist I do not believe they will be able to find them

What an completely obnoxious and arrogant OP, we don't want "these types" of tourist because they don't spend enough money.

Yes it is

How ever there are a lot of people who resent them because of their rude behavior. And no consideration for others. China knows they are that way and that it is an unacceptable behavior so they have put out a book for them on how to behave when they are touring in a foreign country.

I don't know about others but if the Chinese government knows it there has to be some truth to it.

I was in a songthaew the other day with 4 young Chinese tourists who spoke some English. They were friendly so I suspect it is not all of them who are bad mannered tourists. Just enough for the Chinese government to be concerned of the image they are giving the world.

• Like 2

No shit? Little late now. You should have done your homework before. Now all the quality high end customers or most of them are gone and will never come back. Try charging the Chinese double for everything. Dosent work does it?.....No repair for this damage accept an exchange rate, may double what it is now.You will have to buy them back..........lol.....wink.png

What do you mean "try charging the Chinese double for everything. Doesnt work does it?" Actually isn't that already happening and expected to happen anyway?

I am not sure what you mean by that or even if I understand your meaning correctly that is what is needed. Low-end Chinese tourists are not appreciated by many in the tourist industry (and even by many who are not in the tourist industry) due to their lack of manners, screaming, spitting everywhere, and general behaviour as if they were still in some small city in Hunan or the backwaters of Yunnan or wherever. Stealing of blankets, pillows etc. from hotels, refusal to tip (although that's because in China no one tips) don't help matters either. As they generally come on pre-purchased package tours, they spend little else after arrival.

It's different for more high-end tourists who spend a ton on shopping, although they typically purchase goods that are sold for less in Thailand than in China, often luxury goods that have nothing to do with Thailand and simply enhance a major retailer's profit margins (think Central or Robinson) rather than the average Somchai on the streets.

I have met quite a few nice Chinese travellers (mainly in Laos and a couple in northern Vietnam though, but OK same thing it could just as well have been in Thailand) and while some of them were low budget, maybe because they were younger, travelling by themselves rather than in a package tour, some of them could speak some English (though I mostly spoke with them in Chinese) and in general acted much like their western counterparts they were respected by those around them from what I could gather. The funniest encounter was with a Chinese backpacker who hitchhiked everywhere he went in Laos, preferring the back of a local goods truck than a bus and sometimes attempting to camp in front of a hotel rather than staying in a room. I was driving in Laos and picked him up and we became good friends. Not surprisingly, he got a job working at a backpacker hostel in Kunming upon his return to China.

You need to get out and see the real world

Take a trip to the Duty free store in Victory Monument

You will find it full of chinese buying their wallets dry

and what do they buy

Goods made in China

Had some business guest at work one week and they rubbished everything fro Thailand

I had the last laugh when 4 Thai sovineers where rubbished by these people

Until I turned them upside down and showed them the

Made in China

on the bottom

I get out and see the real world a lot more than you probably do, than any of the Chinese that you are talking about too. There's a victory monument duty free store? Thanks but I am not going there! There are plenty of nicer places to go to for shopping in Thailand. Your definition of "buying their wallets dry" is pretty limited. And I already made a very similar example - Chinese going to say Central World for shopping, or how about the infamous Naraya stores? The bags there are quite cheap, but the Chinese love them and their quality is quite good too.

Parks, temples, tourist attractions in general.

When we have guests we advise them if there is dual pricing when we take them to places.

We simply say we will not patronize such places but we have absolutely no objection if you wish to.

@Thailand, that's what I do too.

@Gotalaugh, well unless you have never been to a Thai national park, some of the most popular temples (such as the Grand Palace), even some private attractions such as Ripleys Believe it or Not! Yes believe it or not, in Thailand they are able to charge you more based on racial profiling (because they never check locals ID's anyway and assume you are a foreigner based on your appearance alone) then I find it hard to believe you didn't realise just how prevalent dual pricing is in Thailand!

It's unfortunate because many of Thailand's neighboring countries either practice it in a far more limited manner and with smaller differences between the local and foreigner price (such as in Laos, where only a few temples and waterfalls etc. might attract a different price for foreigners compared to locals but then it's only the difference between 2000 Kip for locals, which is about 8 Baht, and 5000 for foreigners which is about 20 Baht), Vietnam, where only the Hue Palace charges a different amount (35000 dong for locals, 55000 dong for foreigners) but everywhere else, everyone is charged the same, whether it's the military museum in HCMC where admission is only 15000 dong or the reunification palace, where the admission price is the same or basically it's not practiced at all.

Out of all the countries in East Asia, only in Myanmar is dual pricing more prevalent than in Thailand, because over there many hotels, trains and domestic airfares cost more for foreigners than for locals although the gap is closing. There are probably hundreds of businesses (mainly tourist attractions), national parks and temples that charge different admissions prices for foreigners in Thailand than for locals - at the private ones, including some of the smaller temples flashing a Thai driver's license, work permit or similar usually gets you in for the local price, however, at the Grand Palace you would probably need a Thai ID card though. Some temples in Lampang, for example, which see very few visitors at all (not even local visitors), attempt to charge foreigners 20 Baht by putting up a sign in English but locals (or those that look like locals because they usually don't ask for ID) nothing. You probably won't be stopped at all, but flashing a Thai driver's license or other type of recognized ID and you can probably skip the admissions charge too. One wonders though what the rationale is behind charging the 5 westerners that might visit a Lampang temple every month 20 Baht (so the temple makes a grand total of 100 Baht a month!), which is just offensive given that both locals and foreigners will probably donate a much larger amount of money than 20 Baht anyway, without needing to be discriminated against when they first step onto temple grounds. I went inside one such temple once with my girlfriend (Wat Si Chum), nobody at the entrance cared (and I could have showed my driver's licence but I didn't bother because nobody asked me anything) although upon exiting the guy wanted 20 Baht but we just claimed we already made a donation (which we did, I think we put like 50 or even 100 Baht in one of the donation boxes).

Right, looking at the posts put here by us (we're a bunch of foreigners in Thailand), it appears to be that most of us feel a particular way about these Chinese tourists.
We haven't got a problem with the up-market ones, who stay in posh hotels and spend a lot of money. And we haven't got a problem with the young ones, ones that can speak some English, and who are not travelling in a package-tour group.

But some people don't like the ones who come here on a package tour with a big group.
So, should Thailand restrict the type of Chinese who can come here ? They've got to be under 30 years-old, speak at least some English, and come here on their own or in a group of less than six. Or, they can only come in if they've got more than 5000 baht per day of their holiday, and they must spend that money, and they can't take it back home to China.

And the ones from Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore, they won't have these visa restrictions, because, because THOSE Chinese are okay !!
:)