URGENT! No more real butter in Yok. Any other sources?

jaideeguy

Here is a summary of the recent study of the effects of eating saturated fats

:http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/study-questions-fat-and-heart-disease-link

And here is a summary of how saturated fats got villified in the first place:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303678404579533760760481486

What has now been implicated in causing heart disease is refined carbohydrates and trans fats.

Correct - butter really is better.]

This may be correct but, for better or worse, I am still inclined to take advice from the British Heart Foundation....

Each to their own.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a summary of the recent study of the effects of eating saturated fats

:http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/study-questions-fat-and-heart-disease-link

And here is a summary of how saturated fats got villified in the first place:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303678404579533760760481486

What has now been implicated in causing heart disease is refined carbohydrates and trans fats.

Correct - butter really is better.]

This may be correct but, for better or worse, I am still inclined to take advice from the British Heart Foundation....

Each to their own.

To be fair, there is another way to look at it. Let's say that you had a population where everybody was on a mediterranean diet. Then some people started eating butter and other stuff that wasn't part of that diet. Presumably, deaths from heart disease would rise. So, in a case like that, you could say that switching from olive oil to butter did raise the mortality rate from heart disease.

I just made some butter from Foremost cream. Got 400 grams from 1 quart. I didn't think to weigh it before I churned the cream. Very nice fresh, clean taste. Next I'm going to try and make cultured butter.

I've been doing a bit of reading and the yellow color of natural butter is supposed to come from digested grass. It would seem that the taste of milk and butter would be affected by the diet of the cow the same way honey from different flowers is. Are there any grass-fed dairy products available here?

OK - I give up. Never mind all the butter information - what the hell is YOK?

Basically, it's a bakery supply store. 2 branches that I know of in Chiang Mai.

Thank you.

it's a really nice store, heavy on baking products but much more. haven't found anywhere better for olive oil and a number of other items. also really great selection of kitchen utensils, and overall kitchen supplies, etc.

What nonsense is this? Allowrie ( http://www.kimchuagroup.com/products/butter-spreads ), available is regular salted or unsalted; as well as DOZENS of spread varieties, is butter. Butter. And only Butter.

that is not exactly correct. it is a manufactured product and not real butter. i recall reading all about it a year or more ago and then overheard a customer and the store manager discussing it at Rimping. then just recently i again read about it - perhaps here on TV? - not sure... but not real butter. don't think it has chemicals but it is a processed food.

I think you will find that butter is a manufactured product as well, unless the cows have started making it.

What nonsense is this? Allowrie ( http://www.kimchuagroup.com/products/butter-spreads ), available is regular salted or unsalted; as well as DOZENS of spread varieties, is butter. Butter. And only Butter.

that is not exactly correct. it is a manufactured product and not real butter. i recall reading all about it a year or more ago and then overheard a customer and the store manager discussing it at Rimping. then just recently i again read about it - perhaps here on TV? - not sure... but not real butter. don't think it has chemicals but it is a processed food.

I think you will find that butter is a manufactured product as well, unless the cows have started making it.

Maybe "concocted" would be a better choice than "manufactured" but we all know what the poster meant.

Just picked up four 5kilo boxes of the 'farm fresh' butter @ 680thb/kilo and it says on the box '98.4% cream and 1.6% salt' and I just noticed that it had the Halal stamp on the box for what that's worth. Also says that it was manufactured by 'Premier Dairy Products co.ltd' and google didn't find it in a quick search.

Don't want to get involved in the debate on the pros or cons of butter/margarine ...............all I know is that I much prefer the taste of real butter over the artificial butter substitute and this tastes like the real thing to me.

Just picked up four 5kilo boxes of the 'farm fresh' butter @ 680thb/kilo and it says on the box '98.4% cream and 1.6% salt' and I just noticed that it had the Halal stamp on the box for what that's worth. Also says that it was manufactured by 'Premier Dairy Products co.ltd' and google didn't find it in a quick search.

Don't want to get involved in the debate on the pros or cons of butter/margarine ...............all I know is that I much prefer the taste of real butter over the artificial butter substitute and this tastes like the real thing to me.

I definitely want to try the stuff. Where did you get it?

The Hideaway Hang Dong.

They sell real home made butter in plastic tubs 70 baht, salted or unsalted. They also sell home baked bread, peanut butter, cheeses, pickles, cakes and all sorts of farangy foods.

If heading towards Tesco Lotus on the Hang Dong Road going from the direction of Chiang Mai travelling towards Tesco Lotus on the left, a way before Tesco Lotus you will see a Siam Commercial bank. It is a multi story building with black windows. As you hit the bank turn left into the soi where the bank building sits on the corner. Travel down that soi a ways and around a big bend and then not far from there you will see a big sign, The Hideaway on the left. It is another soi and the tea rooms is there. It`s a small tea rooms type restaurant and in there is where they sell all the goodies.

I think it is only open Monday to Saturday up to 6.00pm.

• 1 year later...

Is that 680 THB per kg? Who is the contact for this dairy? Grateful for any and all leads on this.

I'm down to my last two pounds of butter. I can only hope someone from stateside comes over soon. We cut a tablespoon off a stick and put it in a cup of coconut oil. It really doesn't merge together but after you stir it up you get bits of butter with every spoon so the butter taste is there lightly and the coconut oil is better for your health, not that using butter is bad for your health.

There are NO Dairy cows in Thailand ?????

Very few .Chokchai dairy has the largest herd of 3,000 Freisans.

Compare that with the NZ .In 2014 there were 4.9 MILLION milking cows and growing.

56% of NZ milk is exported in powder form,skim and full cream, and re constituted into liquid,like the milk you buy in supermarkets here or used in baby formulas.

www.godairy.co.nz is a good reference point.

I have friends in the dairy industry in Australia who are exporting, with other dairies with strict health regulations ,refrigerated, full cream milk to China, it cost a bomb for consumers.

Obviously exporting "real milk" with a limited shelf life and at a low price is not viable hence the powder exports.

In a past life I used to milk our house cow and make my own butter and I can tell you it tasted nothing like the stuff that is passed off as real butter today.As has been pointed out most are blended products with all sorts of "goodies" added.................You get what you pay for.

(French) or European standards for butter:

Butter is churned cream of milk.

To be allowed to use the protected name: butter (in Europe) the product should contain at least 80% fat from milk (not the oil).

Milk from cows contains about 4% of milk-fat.

You'll need about 20 liters of milk to make 1 kilo of butter.

And that is why anything that sells below (let's say) 600-700 THB per/kilo can NEVER BE REAL BUTTER!

Note: The name Peanut butter, for example, is not allowed in Europe, therefore we call it peanut-spread or 'pindakaas' (in Dutch) using the name butter for anything else than the above product is not allowed.

Peanut butter is sold in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

You can certainly buy real cream in the supermarkets. An expensive way to go, but if you want pure butter, make it yourself using pure cream.

All it takes is a bit of time and muscle.

Not that much muscle, if you use a stick blender. <-- youtube Video

Also, found Emborg butter at Rimping. 200g for 117 THB of real imported Belgian butter with minimum 82% milkfat. That's nearly 600 THB/kg. Anyone know of a less expensive source of real, unsalted butter? Willing to buy several kg if there is a decent price.

Edited by khunyod

• 3 months later...

For the last month or so (as of 09 Jan 2016) at the Star Foods in Kad Suan Kaew has 200g Embourg butter for 99 THB on sale (discounted from 117 THB). That's the best price I've found. Sometimes there is a similar sale, around 110 THB for similarly imported at Star or one of the Rimpings. Note that pecan sandies made with real butter, unbleached flour, unrefined cane sugar, and freshly toasted pecans are a world apart.

I didn't bother reading through all the posts, but in my experience....Thai made butter is a whole lot of water....I get the Emborg brand (which is the cheeses I prefer....)...to me, that is real butter, very little water. kpg

The Thai made butter doesn't have any more water in it that most other butters with the exception of certain slightly higher-fat butters used by pastry chefs. The problem with the manufactured butter most commonly available in Thailand is that it's made from butter oil (ghee) powdered milk and water rather than directly from cream so it lacks the "dairy" flavor that good cream has. Emborg is my favorite butter here. It's available in Makro for around 95 baht per 200 grams. Another good brand is Anchor. If you have the storage space in your freezer, you can buy a five kilo block for around $1250 baht then cut it up and freeze most of it for later use.

As for Emborg cheese, I once tried their Parmesan (grana padano) and it tasted like reasonably good cheddar.