Import of a car to Thailand

YandC

Hi, we will be relocating to Thailand in October and this question just popped up: Does it make sense to import a car to Thailand due to luxury tax? I heard that I will be probably charged by 300% of the car value? Is that right? Any suggestions? Thanks Caz

I don't know if it's 300% but it is very expensive and really not worth it. Do you have right hand drive?

Thanks. No, it's a left hand driven Jeep Wrangler (1998) model. just love that car...

Any good webpage where i could check out cars?

Edited by YandC

Yes. Tax can be up to 300% depending on Engine size. Furthermore you will require an import permit prior to shipping. Then you will need to get approval from the DMT. A lot of hassle and I think nobody would recommend doing it. Different if you are Thai. Then, under certain circumstances, are you allowed to import.
Your question is coming up quite frequently on here and I would suggest you do a quick search through the forum.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

I don't know if it's 300% but it is very expensive and really not worth it. Do you have right hand drive?

Thanks. No, it's a left hand driven Jeep Wrangler (1998) model. just love that car...

2nd hand lots.   thai car .com   taladrod .com   one2car .com 

• Like 1

Yes. Tax can be up to 300% depending on Engine size. Furthermore you will require an import permit prior to shipping. Then you will need to get approval from the DMT. A lot of hassle and I think nobody would recommend doing it. Different if you are Thai. Then, under certain circumstances, are you allowed to import.
Your question is coming up quite frequently on here and I would suggest you do a quick search through the forum.

Ok, Thanks. Guess I will sell it :(

It might be interesting to have a look in the website of the Thai Customs.

Your car, being 16 years old might qualify for a very much lower import tax.

If the car is not meant to transport more than 2 people and has an goods vehicle status on the existing registration, it might get as low as 47%

That said all taxes are based on the value of the car, either based on invoices or the accepted value by the customs.

Including transport to Thailand, insurance, agents fees.

Don't do it, sell what you have and buy here.  Cars are very cheap here and the finance rates are very low.  My Toyota is 2.5% and I heard that Ford are 0%, but who in the right mind would buy a Ford?  That's probably why they (try) to sell them at zero percent interest.  

• Like 1

I inquired about bringing my car to Thailand (R.H.D.). They asked for $33000.00.dollars It was 3 years old. It was a V.W.golf. with 30,000 Km. on the clock. I declined and sold it off cheap for $17,000.00. They want more to bring it in than what it costs new.

• Like 1

In particular being an older car, left hand drive I would strongly suggest not worth the hassle, unless you love the beast,

& are very wealthy.

You can replace here with something similar for 25% of the cost of importing, & stay sane.

Makes no difference if you are Thai and the taxes I believe total 234%. That is on all shipping and agents costs as well.  As said you need permission to import before you start and I believe 5 years consectutive visas.

To import a secondhand car here you'd need your head read unless it was a serious classic.

To import a left hooker you'd need to be sectioned.

234% of what ???

Thai's, when they move their household back to Thailand can import 1 car tax free as long as it has been in their name in the other country for more then 1 year.

The import tax is around 320% of the value in What Car UK and some other site(check out the customs page, Perkins??) plus the CIF costs(carriage insurance and freight).I brought in an old Merc and managaed to sell it for more than all the costs I paid, but it was a struggle and I hated the bit when we had to interface with the slimy customs official!

• Like 1

As stated, a prohibitively expensive and convoluted experience.

If the OP is doing a 100% relocation, then sell it. However, seeing that it's bought and paid for and the OP loves it to death, leave it with a friend or relative for home visits? Then you don't need to be buggering about with expensive sort-term rentals when you pop home for a reality check from the idyllic LOS experience.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Mate IMO it's just not worth it a had a concourse condition GTR Skyline I wanted more than anything to bring over with me from Aus and I had dumped a stupid amount of cash into the mods and engine upgrade. The other poster was correct the import duty is 320% of the value of the car. I was even told by the agent as I had gone so far to organising a container and everything. That it isn't necessarily the book value it is their "estimated" value of what your car may be worth. Now I don't know what your jeeps worth but do you really love it that much that you want to pay 3 times it's value plus freight and the other costs for a '98 jeep? Really? Just say its worth 15000 US your looking at close to $50 000 US to get it here. Best bet is to try and source one here I know TV has a classifieds section as does Bahtsold a quick google search would also turn up plenty of other second hand dealers around the joint. I am sure you could find one, Good Luck

Mate IMO it's just not worth it a had a concourse condition GTR Skyline I wanted more than anything to bring over with me from Aus and I had dumped a stupid amount of cash into the mods and engine upgrade. The other poster was correct the import duty is 320% of the value of the car. I was even told by the agent as I had gone so far to organising a container and everything. That it isn't necessarily the book value it is their "estimated" value of what your car may be worth. Now I don't know what your jeeps worth but do you really love it that much that you want to pay 3 times it's value plus freight and the other costs for a '98 jeep? Really? Just say its worth 15000 US your looking at close to $50 000 US to get it here. Best bet is to try and source one here I know TV has a classifieds section as does Bahtsold a quick google search would also turn up plenty of other second hand dealers around the joint. I am sure you could find one, Good Luck

is it just car's that get high tax? i was thinking of bringing in a bobcat for use on my thai wife farm.

The Thai's god bless them protect most of their industries which Australia could learn a lot from. Look at the total demise of our car industry now. I am not positive but I assume the same or similar rule applies to farm/industrial machinery. I know Kubota manufacturers here and a couple of others I can't remember off the top of my head so I guess bringing your 'cat out here would attract a similar tax rate.

Importing of second hand vehicles has been banned...look up the relevant the thread on Thai Visa or google it. It ain't gonna happen tax or no tax - police order blah blah blah.

I asked an import agent about bringing in an old bike - same answer - forget about it can't be done on a permanent basis.

There's all sorts of rules if you want to bring in a used vehicle to use while you are here but it is for a very temporary time only.