Thai food the best in the world?

Grateful farang

Malaysia has one great dish, I do not remenber the name, but it takes chicken with yellow indian curry, bamboo shoots, and basil leaves on top, woooow it is so delicious, balanced (not to much spice), just a great dish! I miss food from North Malaysia.. Unique!

It's called Laksa if you like it you will probably like Khao Soy.

I could not find any good food in England....the meat pies and mealy fish and chips in a newspaper were not my idea of food.

bah.gif

Fish and chips in a newspaper was banned over 30 years ago and if you ask for cod they think you are from another planet and the pies are full of gristle and fat.

The most popular dish in the UK is the Doner Kebab a disgusting concoction of mystery meat dripping with lard served in Pita bread.

I thought it was chicken tikka.

I love lamb kebab. Yes doner kebab made with 2kg of meat and 2kg of lamb fat. But sooo delicious smothered in garlic and chili sauce.

One thing I miss in Thailand is spring lamb - although I think you can buy it frozen from NZ at Rim Ping for a million dollars.

I could not find any good food in England....the meat pies and mealy fish and chips in a newspaper were not my idea of food.

bah.gif

Fish and chips in a newspaper was banned over 30 years ago and if you ask for cod they think you are from another planet and the pies are full of gristle and fat.

The most popular dish in the UK is the Doner Kebab a disgusting concoction of mystery meat dripping with lard served in Pita bread.

I love lamb kebab. Yes doner kebab made with 2kg of meat and 2kg of lamb fat. But sooo delicious smothered in garlic and chili sauce.

One thing I miss in Thailand is spring lamb - although I think you can buy it frozen from NZ at Rim Ping for a million dollars.

Surprisingly, the NZ lamb form Makro is pretty good. I use it for gyros and, uhm, kabobs.

No one knows what meat is really in a Doner Kebab, Lamb, Goat? There are many possibilities.

Chicken Tikka Masala is a very close second just because it is more expensive. It's just Chicken Tikka with a can of cream of tomato soup. Invented in the UK never seen India.

bah.gif

Doner kabobs come from organ donors.

ewwwwwwwwwwwww

bah.gif

I thought they ate boner kabobs...

wink.png

Edited by slipperylobster

bah.gif

I thought they ate boner kabobs...

wink.png

Actually, in Saigon, I saw a cart selling "Boner" Kabobs.

I'm not sure if the misspelling was intentional or not.

No, I did not indulge.

Smelled good, though.

I could never call just 1 my favourite, variety is the spice of life.

Ever been to a proper village cheese counter in France and had a few chunks with some crusty bread and a glass of good Bordeaux.

Simple but perfectly prepared pasta in a back street cafe in Milan,

Sashimi from a breakfast bar in tsukiji market in tokyo

Steak and ale pie with thick mash or big cut chips, gravy with a proper pint of cask bitter

Slap up Indian curry

Your mums roast dinner..

Thai food is great but on the whole most of it is junk food, but then again most bites we eat out are not usually the healthiest options. Home cooked balanced thai food with fresh veg and a limit on fried items and salt / sugar / msg certainly can be achieved and is wonderful.

But who wants to eat the same thing every day? We will hear mixed responses from teachers living on a shoe string who have no choice but to eat thai food on a daily basis and claim it to be the be-all-end-all, as well as the shoe string retirees, compared with those not based in Thailand or those expats in LOS with the baht and access to eat a varied and a higher end level of food from fine dining establishments.

But if I had to pick an overall favourite, something I look forward to the most I guess it would have to be a slap up Indian (North Indian curries).

If I had to pick something i would need to stick to for the rest of my life for whatever reason (such as a poor thai person having no choice) it would be one of the Mediterranean regions, for health and taste and balance. Couldn't put my finger on which one though, Turkish, Spanish, Italian, Lebanese ? Can't pick

• Like 2

Ever been to a proper village cheese counter in France and had a few chunks with some crusty bread and a glass of good Bordeaux.

Steak and ale pie with thick mash or big cut chips, gravy with a proper pint of cask bitter

Slap up Indian curry

Your mums roast dinner..

Thai food is great but on the whole most of it is junk food, but then again most bites we eat out are not usually the healthiest options. Home cooked balanced thai food with fresh veg and a limit on fried items and salt / sugar / msg certainly can be achieved and is wonderful.

But who wants to eat the same thing every day? We will hear mixed responses from teachers living on a shoe string who have no choice but to eat thai food on a daily basis and claim it to be the be-all-end-all, as well as the shoe string retirees, compared with those not based in Thailand or those expats in LOS with the baht and access to eat a varied and a higher end level of food from fine dining establishments.

But if I had to pick an overall favourite, something I look forward to the most I guess it would have to be a slap up Indian (North Indian curries).

If I had to pick something i would need to stick to for the rest of my life for whatever reason (such as a poor thai person having no choice) it would be one of the Mediterranean regions, for health and taste and balance. Couldn't put my finger on which one though, Turkish, Spanish, Italian, Lebanese ? Can't pick

whats junk about it?

When something is either deep fried, laden with sugar or salt or msg to make it taste of something palatable, and has little or no nutritional value.. It is junk. I.e many thai food dishes easily available

Note I said not all. Read the post again before pressing quote at the first thing you see that touches a nerve

Slap up Indian curry

Your mums roast dinner..

whats junk about it?

1. The MSG

2. The sugar

3. The palm oil

4. The liver flukes

5. The burning materials in their BBQ's (rubber tires, etc.)

When something is either deep fried, laden with sugar or salt or msg to make it taste of something palatable, and has little or no nutritional value.. It is junk. I.e many thai food dishes easily available

Note I said not all. Read the post again before pressing quote at the first thing you see that touches a nerve

shark fin is junk food?

its full of msg, sugars and sauces, and has little nutrtional value

a lot of food ingredients have little taste but you enjoy it for the textures or wank factor, doesnt mean its junk

Slap up Indian curry

Your mums roast dinner..

whats junk about it?

1. The MSG

2. The sugar

3. The palm oil

4. The liver flukes

5. The burning materials in their BBQ's (rubber tires, etc.)

none of that at my place. you should eat at a quality zoutlet

you said MOST do you stats to back that up?

shark fin is junk food?

its full of msg, sugars and sauces, and has little nutrtional value

a lot of food ingredients have little taste but you enjoy it for the textures or wank factor, doesnt mean its junk

Yes it is still junk

And shark fin is disgusting and should be banned the world over

you said MOST do you stats to back that up?

I lived in Thailand long enough to not need stats. And been married to one

If you don't agree just counter properly or just <deleted>. Simple

if you like plenty sugar,"fermented" stuff,MSG and deep frying is your prefered cooking method than you are right.

Get that in most Asian cooking although Thais are crazy on the sugar. However your answer purposely avoided the object of the question simply to insert a low IQ Thai bash. Duh...

Thai cuisine is great, but so are many others.

The thing I like, particularly, about Thai is that, like Vidtnamese, it has a clean, light, but sharp taste when compared with, say, Indian, which is heavy with ghee.

I love Thai food, but for me, Masakan Padang, the local food of Padang in Sumatra, is out in front. It's now available right across Indonesia, as well as some other Asian countries. Look for the big china plates in the window, and have your taste buds seduced.

My advice and what I do to have fantastic meals in Thailand:

Buy the best ingredients, for instance from the King's Project stores and/or top-quality food stores or from farmers you know, and cook everything in your own kitchen.

I have never eaten as well as in Thailand!

Couldn't agree more. I'm traveling and just had khao phad talay for lunch. It was sweeter than the coke I drank. Finished the coke, though.

The GF says most of my Thai dishes are the best she ever had.

And no boogers.

Try authentic Sri Lankan food. Could never find any in LOS though. Its much spicier than Indian and has a multitude of flavours.

Selective attention is a millennia-old cognitive process.

If you want people to pay attention to your posts, you're gonna have to do something about that photo.

• Like 1

This is a bit like asking which country has the best women in the world. You can't say until you've tried them all and even then it comes down to which particular dishes you had and your own personal taste. smile.png

According to the UN (as a result of worldwide opinion not their official's 5 star restaurant expense accounts) the top two cuisines in the world are French and Japanese. The most popular also include Chinese, Italian and Thai with English having been omitted in error I guess?

Of the oriental cuisines I like Thai the best but I like others too and of course Thais don't do deserts. And if you like a decent 'pud' from time to time then nothing beats a traditional English sherry trifle in the summertime. thumbsup.gif

Bon appetit tout le monde!