Graft buster rejects Yingluck's more witness request

webfact

Witnesses should never be barred...regardless of the type of court case. Wrong on so many levels.

You make an excellent point.

I do wonder if this is a set up however for a witness to be sick or what ever and a delay tactic ?

She must be very stressed, about the whole rice episode thingo.

Not half as stressed as the rice farmers that did themselves in,now thats stress.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm in the middle again. I think she should be allowed as many witnesses as she can make appear in a specific time frame. Let these witnesses have their say, limit their time on the stand, limit the group to a few days. Eight witnesses, even in the most elaborate circumstances, could each tell their view in an hour, plus one hour for cross-examination. Sixteen hours max, and throw in a whole day if someone has elements outside discovery.

It's just not the way of any court to be that efficient...sadly.

Ad the Late Great Douglass Adams said about a slightly related issue -- "We demand areas of well-defined doubt! You could have a national philosopher's strike on your hands" (sic).

Edited by FangFerang

If we know Thailand, we can expect this case to be a non event. In a normal situation when the 2 houses exist, the NACC verdict will lead to senate impeachment and currently there is no upper house and Yingluck is no longer PM. The NACC can also opined that Yingluck is prima farcie and send case to Supreme Court Criminal Division For Person holding Political Position but I doubt they will find evidence of purposefully commiting an dishonest act and moreover she already out of office and not a threat to the junta. I believe that the NACC will hear the case, go through the motion and let her off on technicalities.

Completely agree.

Technicality, It's less than 1,000,000,000,000 Baht the BAAC is owed by the Yingluck government for three years of Rice Price Pledging Scam.

"Request by ex-Premier Yingluck Shinawatra for eight more witnesses to defend her in the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) against alleged malfeasance and corruption involving the rice-pledging scheme was rejected.

The NACC has considered the request at its meeting on Thursday and disapproved it, citing concerns over the potential impact on the political conflict."

This is not a valid excuse for denying the testimony of witnesses. While her seeking to present additional witnesses may indeed be a delaying tactic (I have no way of knowing but believe it likely), you do not deny the request for political reasons. You deny the request due to already having interviewed witnesses on the same subject matter and the additional witnesses being viewed/determined to have no new evidence to add to the case.

By not hearing the additional witnesses or giving a valid reasons for not hearing them, you are not seen to be impartial and serving justice.

The NACC is not impartial in this case.

Why would they be?

Their job is to weed out corruption and bring those accused to the courts.

Many countries have similar organisations.

It's a bit like expecting the police to be impartial amywhere in the world. Once they think you have done something wrong it is very much you AGAINST them.

Ever heard the term "anything you say can be used against you?". The flip side is that anything you say to them that is in your favour will not be raised by your accusers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Its a pathetic post because, like usual its contains your usual fabrications.

Firstly a Shinawatra has been punished, but he ran away to escape his sentence and avoid being further judged.

No neither you or any of us can determine, "how the request for additional witnesses would have a "potential impact on the political conflict", because we don't have access to all the available information. However, those that do have made this informed decision in accordance with the Thai judicial system.

Lastly you are guilty of your own criticism, (You can't answer that (as there is no sensible answer) so you resort to attacking the post) by attacking not only the original posts but also the posters, but being hypocritical that's nothing new for you.

Oh my, it's come to this. tuzki-bunny-emoticon-034.gif

Nice one Waza, we now have a new name for him "fabricator4"...!!

fabricator4 ... ever since your beloved corrupt government fell, you have selected comments on here and made attacks on those expressing their views, never once providing any substantiated rebuttal of their views, but always insinuating seeds of doubt, with no evidence.

You, along with the rest of us, are in the dark with regard to the true facts, but, unlike the rest of us, you are not prepared to entertain the possibility that the fallen government may well be culpable for up to 2 trillion baht either wasted or unaccounted for. You cannot spin that in any way to suggest that the Dems are responsible for it...!!

If your only purpose on here is to be argumentative, without offering anything of any constructive value, then forchrissakes, why do you bother...?!

Oh George, relax man.

Assuming you only refer to the Rice Price Pledging Scam it is not up to 2 trillion Baht, but 'only' up to 1,000,000,000,000 Baht it would seem. Not bad for three years, wouldn't you say? Personally I'm still surprised that ex-PM Yingluck is called negligent with her stating that taking care of corruption was one of the important items for her and her cabinet rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

If we know Thailand, we can expect this case to be a non event. In a normal situation when the 2 houses exist, the NACC verdict will lead to senate impeachment and currently there is no upper house and Yingluck is no longer PM. The NACC can also opined that Yingluck is prima farcie and send case to Supreme Court Criminal Division For Person holding Political Position but I doubt they will find evidence of purposefully commiting an dishonest act and moreover she already out of office and not a threat to the junta. I believe that the NACC will hear the case, go through the motion and let her off on technicalities.

Completely agree.

Technicality, It's less than 1,000,000,000,000 Baht the BAAC is owed by the Yingluck government for three years of Rice Price Pledging Scam.

Did I miss anything? The case over and proven beyond doubt it is a scam, swindle or fraud or you have inside information? Please tell me. Until then, I believed the case was dereliction of duty. And stop putting that ridiculous number for effect. Nothing concluded too except in your weird imagination.

Comparisons with procedures In UK courts are not really apposite because the NACC is not a court. It is

trying to decide whether to indict her.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Witnesses should never be barred...regardless of the type of court case. Wrong on so many levels.

I do wonder if this is a set up however for a witness to be sick or what ever and a delay tactic ?

If a witness brings new evidence, the defence is permitted to enter it. Witnesses can be put forward but the court may decide that they have no purpose other than to delay a trial or have no new evidence. One would need a transcript or a good court reporter that has a good understanding of the case.

I would have thought the "Graft busters" if their job was done properly that the money trail and transactions were already established.. If that is the case bank transactions DON'T lie and it would not matter how people were called... The outcome would not change as they should already have the proof.

So if their is an established money trail showing guilt that should be all they need.

Apart from the usual responses from those determined to see a Shinawatra punished, having been frustrated for 8 years now, can anyone of a less corrosive attitude explain how the request for additional witnesses would have a "potential impact on the political conflict".

One would have thought that as all political activities have been banned there is no political conflict to be impacted. If anything, this kind of action will only store up resentment which will surface at a later date.

Are you kidding? "Witnesses" in a corruption case? How much worth do give to them? Show us the money.

• Like 2

Completely agree.

Did I miss anything? The case over and proven beyond doubt it is a scam, swindle or fraud or you have inside information? Please tell me. Until then, I believed the case was dereliction of duty. And stop putting that ridiculous number for effect. Nothing concluded too except in your weird imagination.

Did you miss something? As you keep on insisting that nothing happened while the BAAC had paid out 880 billion and 'recently' close to 200 billion more, you indeed may have missed something. Same like Ms. Yingluck, she missed something, like meetings and control over initiated schemes.

BTW I'm glad you agree 1,000,000,000,000 is a ridiculous number. As a taxpayer I feel the same, 1,000,000,000,000 is indeed a ridiculous number when the Yingluck government wasn't even able to come with a detailed accounting, or a single A4 page. Most numbers floated by the government were immediately contradicting by themselves. The only ones having no problem with a government mislaying 1,000,000,000,000 Baht seems a few posters here who probably don't pay taxes in Thailand anyway.

You think that is a lot.

The Shins have spent 15, 000, 000, 000, 000 baht on rice farmer populism and the rice farmers still live in the houses below.

I hope she spends a lot of time behind bars as the majority want. Not the 7% red shirt majority. The real majority. The silent scared majority.

post-140765-0-84082500-1403284647_thumb.

• Like 1

No issue here. She's going down lads.

Fortunately, not on me, unlike the desires of some freaks around here who wish such. giggle.gif

Bloddy poof then.. i would give it a go first then say yes or no ..and i am not a freak..

Yingluck's massive naievty, or ill-knowledge, is shown in the fact she is still here.

She was in Chiang Mai, on countless occasions, and had the opportunity to flee and fly off to somewhere near the Middle-East.

But no, she's above it all... so she believed. Now she's under lock and key, and going nowhere far at all. I pity her naievty somewhat, about as much as I pity the fly I swotted that just landed on my beer glass! cheesy.gif

At least her son can visit her, after she's locked up. Motherly instincts.. awwwww bless. sick.gif.pagespeed.ce.tVTSNn-2vr.png

Edit: Feel free to call me a lunt. wink.png

Do you really believe that she will be "locked up"?

She won't be locked up as a result of this investigation or any other, or any trial for that matter. She will merely be 'transferred to a non-active role' as others have been! Perhaps in Dubai, who knows?

To lock her up would be too politically sensitive and IMHO the coup leaders would probably be content, not only for her to go into 'exile', but also for her brother to remain where he is too.

I doubt very much that we will see any of the various ringleaders actually locked up.

Even if they were, it would only be as long as a sympathetic party, once in power, would grant an 'amnesty'.

I'm not saying that would be right, I'm just saying that would probably be the reality.

• Like 1

One would certainly hope so!

The poor dear! She could always calm herself by counting the poor farmers that added to her wealth?? sad.png

Yingluck's massive naievty, or ill-knowledge, is shown in the fact she is still here.

She was in Chiang Mai, on countless occasions, and had the opportunity to flee and fly off to somewhere near the Middle-East.

But no, she's above it all... so she believed. Now she's under lock and key, and going nowhere far at all. I pity her naievty somewhat, about as much as I pity the fly I swotted that just landed on my beer glass! cheesy.gif

At least her son can visit her, after she's locked up. Motherly instincts.. awwwww bless. sick.gif.pagespeed.ce.tVTSNn-2vr.png

She won't be locked up as a result of this investigation or any other, or any trial for that matter. She will merely be 'transferred to a non-active role' as others have been! Perhaps in Dubai, who knows?

To lock her up would be too politically sensitive and IMHO the coup leaders would probably be content, not only for her to go into 'exile', but also for her brother to remain where he is too.

I doubt very much that we will see any of the various ringleaders actually locked up.

Even if they were, it would only be as long as a sympathetic party, once in power, would grant an 'amnesty'.

I'm not saying that would be right, I'm just saying that would probably be the reality.

Sadly you are probably correct. A public rebuttal, big loss of face, maybe even at some point a 5 year ban from politics (as if she's worried). Then she'll simply slip away to live the life of a billionaire shopper and mother.

Big Brother - maybe cancel his illegally issued passport (will Yinggy and cousin number 1 ever be held accountable?). Extradition - not likely, too much paperwork.

He can return after the statute of limitations on his conviction and the other 15 outstanding charges has expired. Meantime, he'll keep scheming and plotting and no doubt invent yet another new political party to control.

No hiso Chinese wealthy connected family member ever ever goes to prison here. That bit is unlikely to change.

• Like 1

Sadly you are probably correct. A public rebuttal, big loss of face, maybe even at some point a 5 year ban from politics (as if she's worried). Then she'll simply slip away to live the life of a billionaire shopper and mother.

Big Brother - maybe cancel his illegally issued passport (will Yinggy and cousin number 1 ever be held accountable?). Extradition - not likely, too much paperwork.

He can return after the statute of limitations on his conviction and the other 15 outstanding charges has expired. Meantime, he'll keep scheming and plotting and no doubt invent yet another new political party to control.

No hiso Chinese wealthy connected family member ever ever goes to prison here. That bit is unlikely to change.

He cannot return. He would be looking over his shoulder all the time and be surrounded by a small army of body guards 24/7. That's no life.

IMO he doesn't deserve better. The guy is one of those persons that always wants more. He reached his limits by now. Idle hope is what is left for him.

• Like 1

Damn, it is difficult for me to understand the hate that exists here on TV about the woman. There has been no evidence provided by anyone that she personally profited from any part of the rice pledging scheme or that she knowingly allowed others to do so. Personally I don't think after all the problems her brother had that she would be stupid enough to involve herself is such a situation which could cause such scandal for her and her family. So many here assume without evidence that somehow she personally profited from this scheme. The scheme was obviously a political scheme to help support the rice farmers, the PTP political base. Did others corrupt the scheme, probably. They should be going after anyone who did but is everything that went wrong her fault? Did she participate in such legislation to corrupt the scheme or personally profit from it? There has been not even a hint of evidence to say she did. Is an investigation needed, you bet. But this investigation is more a political witch hunt than criminal investigation. There is no doubt in my mind that in the end she will be found not guilt to corruption and guilty of malfeasance which is what they really want to do to keep her from resuming politics.

As far as the witnesses, as usual the article is short on facts and we have no clue how many witnesses have been requested in total. Corruption exists in Thailand at all levels and in every sector of life. You Shin hates cannot blame them for everything that is wrong with Thailand even if you would like to.

• Like 1

Damn, it is difficult for me to understand the hate that exists here on TV about the woman. There has been no evidence provided by anyone that she personally profited from any part of the rice pledging scheme or that she knowingly allowed others to do so. Personally I don't think after all the problems her brother had that she would be stupid enough to involve herself is such a situation which could cause such scandal for her and her family. So many here assume without evidence that somehow she personally profited from this scheme. The scheme was obviously a political scheme to help support the rice farmers, the PTP political base. Did others corrupt the scheme, probably. They should be going after anyone who did but is everything that went wrong her fault? Did she participate in such legislation to corrupt the scheme or personally profit from it? There has been not even a hint of evidence to say she did. Is an investigation needed, you bet. But this investigation is more a political witch hunt than criminal investigation. There is no doubt in my mind that in the end she will be found not guilt to corruption and guilty of malfeasance which is what they really want to do to keep her from resuming politics.

As far as the witnesses, as usual the article is short on facts and we have no clue how many witnesses have been requested in total. Corruption exists in Thailand at all levels and in every sector of life. You Shin hates cannot blame them for everything that is wrong with Thailand even if you would like to.

There is lots of hyperbole but what do you expect? It's the internet.

The rice pledging scheme was very short sighted, poorly thought out and managed so she deserves to get the boot for that! This is how they do that in Thailand. Accuse them of corruption or whatever. That is how they got the last yellow shirt guy out I think. I think all he did was have a cooking show simply because he liked to cook. They accused him of corruption or whatever for accepting a bit of money for that I think but it was clearly not the reason he did it. In the end nothing usually comes of the serious charges. All that happens is the person is permanently tainted which limits or kills their political career. That's just how politics work in Thailand.

Only the really smart ones like Chalem surivive long term and manage to keep or expand their influence. I suspect he's pulling a lot of strings in the background and probably the one they should really be going after. He's just too slippery for them though. That guy is like a Thai version of Dick Cheney.

Edited by lapd

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

But no, she's above it all... so she believed. Now she's under lock and key, and going nowhere far at all. I pity her naievty somewhat, about as much as I pity the fly I swotted that just landed on my beer glass! cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

At least her son can visit her, after she's locked up. Motherly instincts.. awwwww bless.

Edit: Feel free to call me a lunt.

Not sure if I would agree that they don't lock her up. So far they have been showing a pretty straight forward policy. A 5 year suspension from politics would not be in keeping with their actions. Besides I am not sure she is guilty. She might have missed the underhand dealings while she was changing the air in her head.

Can't say as I can remember a post where they hate her. A lot don't like the damage she has done to Thailand. Even those people may have liked her personally. I would imagine the male mind would be in action but hate her no.

Why do people insist on saying if you don't think the same as I do about some one you hate them. From the tone of your post that is the feeling I am getting.

Myself personally I think she is an airhead who was just being used by her Brother to cause turmoil in Thailand. I neither love her or hate her. She is just a tool. I guess you could say I feel sorry for her.wai.gif

• Like 1

Damn, it is difficult for me to understand the hate that exists here on TV about the woman.

I don't hate the woman, that takes too much negative energy.

But I do intensely dislike what she represented, even though it wasn't of her creation, I doubt that she ever knew what she was doing, therefore I have nothing but pity, I doubt that she could grasp that concept though.

The person who put her there though is another story.

This is pretty much my take on it too. Her brother and/or his former guys were always calling the shots. She was just a figurehead.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

But no, she's above it all... so she believed. Now she's under lock and key, and going nowhere far at all. I pity her naievty somewhat, about as much as I pity the fly I swotted that just landed on my beer glass! cheesy.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

At least her son can visit her, after she's locked up. Motherly instincts.. awwwww bless.

Edit: Feel free to call me a lunt.

Not sure if I would agree that they don't lock her up. So far they have been showing a pretty straight forward policy. A 5 year suspension from politics would not be in keeping with their actions. Besides I am not sure she is guilty. She might have missed the underhand dealings while she was changing the air in her head.

Can't say as I can remember a post where they hate her. A lot don't like the damage she has done to Thailand. Even those people may have liked her personally. I would imagine the male mind would be in action but hate her no.

Why do people insist on saying if you don't think the same as I do about some one you hate them. From the tone of your post that is the feeling I am getting.

Myself personally I think she is an airhead who was just being used by her Brother to cause turmoil in Thailand. I neither love her or hate her. She is just a tool. I guess you could say I feel sorry for her.wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif width=20 alt=wai.gif>

Point taken, however she knew the set up when she took the job, she was never a sincere pm of Thailand, just a fake. She avoided 90% of the things she should have attended to as a real pm.

She didn't have to take the job, she was 40 something when she accepted the puppet hat, not a teenager. She could have said no, but she didn't she so must accept whatever criticism and negative that comes her way.

• Like 1