Uganda slammed with sanctions over anti-gay laws

webfact

Uganda slammed with sanctions over anti-gay laws

WASHINGTON: -- The United States Thursday slapped sanctions on Uganda -- cancelling a military air exercise, imposing visa bans and freezing some aid -- amid deep US anger at "vile" Ugandan anti-gay laws.

The legislation "runs counter to universal human rights and complicates our bilateral relationship," the White House said, renewing calls for the law to be repealed.

Signed by President Yoweri Museveni in February, the law calls for "repeat homosexuals" to be jailed for life, outlaws the promotion of homosexuality and obliges Ugandans to denounce gays to the authorities.

Rights groups say it has triggered a sharp increase in arrests and assaults of the African nation's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community.

"From Uganda to Russia to Iran, LGBT communities face discriminatory laws and practices that attack dignity, undermine safety and violate human rights," US Secretary of State John Kerry said at a Gay Pride event for his staff.

Full story: http://www.enca.com/uganda-slammed-sanctions-over-anti-gay-laws

-- eNCA 2014-06-20

• Like 2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jailed for life, in a male prison no doubt...

totster smile.png

A real knee slapper. I suppose finding humor where none exists is a challenge best left to the quick witted.

I doubt lesbians would be put in a male prison or that any male, whatever his sexual orientation, would enjoy life in any Uganda jail or being burned alive.

gay-person-burned-alive.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

*Deleted posts edited out*

I am not American, it has been almost 20 years since I was last in the US, and I care little about the country or its politics, despite them being foisted around the world.

The focus of this thread should be the reprehensible treatment of a minority people - please don't cloud the issue with tea party paranoia.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Good for Uganda. It's nice to see a country that doesn't want to be embarrassed by their citizens.

Uganda just went up a notch I my book.

And it's dumb the USA embarrasses themselves by acting like a 2 year old having a hissy fit when other countries don't do want they want

So let me get this straight. Are you saying a nation's gay citizens embarrasses them and so they should be jailed for life and murdered? If so hard to differ that from a Nazi POV. Suggest googling Alan Turing.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Isn't it a countries sovereign right to decide on what laws to impose?

Not saying I agree with it, but would think there are more important issues that John Kerry etc should be getting on with.

If all else fails, send in Tony Blair.

• Like 2

Yes that's why the USA is exerting its sovereign right not to conduct military exercises with nor send aid to Uganda.

I am sure Uganda are not to bothered about it.

• Like 2

Yes that's why the USA is exerting its sovereign right not to conduct military exercises with nor send aid to Uganda.

They will be when the aid cash starts to dry up and they can no longer get visas to go shopping on Fifth Avenue.

I think they'll get by.

They will be when the aid cash starts to dry up and they can no longer get visas to go shopping on Fifth Avenue.

I think they prefer Dubai and Geneva.

• Like 1

I think they'll get by.

They derive nearly 10% of their gross national income from aid most of which is supplied by the US.

I think they'll get by.

They derive nearly 10% of their gross national income from aid most of which is supplied by the US.

10%? As I said they'll get by. They should target the muslim states if they are genuine,

Edited by Mosha
  • Like 1

The Bible and Quran speak out against this.

That really does not matter a jot. It does not give anyone the right to murder someone for nothing.

They (USA government) are picking a soft target.

Not saying I agree with it, but would think there are more important issues that John Kerry etc should be getting on with.

If all else fails, send in Tony Blair.

Human rights don't have borders.