Pattaya Monorail - still being discussed ?

Kerryd

Just had a feed in my Facebook about a Pattaya Monorail system. A quick search of ThaiVisa posts show the topic has come up now and then since at least 2008 (but not much after 2010). I see the idea was being touted in other cities (Phuket, Chaing Mai) as well.

I've tried translating this but my skills (and Google Translate) are somewhat lacking.

10426741_1437166446554822_75107402544001

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1437166446554822&set=a.1391739887764145.1073741827.1391732761098191&type=1&theater

Of course, it's almost automatic now to assume it's a scam of some sort and that even if they started construction tomorrow it'd be 10(+) years (and 4-5 different contractors and new contracts) before anyone ever got to ride on it.

The map that is shown in the comments makes it look like the route would start somewhere up North Pattaya road, down to #2 road, then all the way down #2 until it swings to Bali Hai pier. (Again - the labels in the photo are beyond my reading/translating ability.)

Previous discussions mentioned some kind of ground-level, rubber wheeled monorail system as being a preferable alternative (though with it's own drawbacks). I laughed when I saw a single rail in the roadway. In Pattaya that would take mere minutes before it was plugged (repeatedly) with all manner of trash !

Edited by Kerryd

I don't believe it would ever happen because the baht bus mafia here will never let it happensad.png

My friend in Chiang Mai was telling me the number of projects the red songthaew mafia have successfully stopped up there. One was a cable car that would take passengers up to the Temple at Doi Suthep. A great idea in principle because the views would be spectacular, but it would eat into too many incomesrolleyes.gif