Please reply quickly! Thank you!

I found an apartment for 2200 but the next day the landlady changed her mind (mai pen rai...)

i found another one for 2500 and it's a good apartment for that price. the landlady doesn't have a copy machine. she asked me to sign a contract in thai and i told her since my thai isn't that good i want to get it translated. she asked why and i told her how do i know there isn't some part saying that i have to pay 50 thousand baht or something. then she said that ok, forget the contract, just give me a copy of your ID. go copy it somewhere and come back.

should i be worried? does that sound like really suspicious behavior or is there some reason she would be like that even if she was honest? i rode down 10 sois and those 2 are the only free apartments i found. should i ride down more sois and forget about this one?

Can someone please give their opinion? thank you!

For 2500 does it really matter. I assume that is per month, it must be very basic accommodation. If that's all you want to pay then go for it, you can always move out after a month

For 2500 does it really matter. I assume that is per month, it must be very basic accommodation. If that's all you want to pay then go for it, you can always move out after a month

it matters to me! i don't have chests of gold and i plan to live here for years, not be on some holiday. and i can't waste money as long as i don't have a job. i think the apartment is perfectly fine, it's almost 30 sqm, has balcony and even has a western toilet (i wish it didn't). it lacks air-con which i'm fine with, i never use air con anyway, it uses too much electricity. what more can you ask for in an apartment where you live alone?

deposit is only 1month + 500.

what if the landlady changes the locks and keeps all my stuff? i need a contract for legal protection but i want it translated to make sure i don't agree to anything bad...

it matters to me! i don't have chests of gold and i plan to live here for years, not be on some holiday. and i can't waste money as long as i don't have a job. i think the apartment is perfectly fine, it's almost 30 sqm, has balcony and even has a western toilet (i wish it didn't). it lacks air-con which i'm fine with, i never use air con anyway, it uses too much electricity. what more can you ask for in an apartment where you live alone?

what if the landlady changes the locks and keeps all my stuff? i need a contract for legal protection but i want it translated to make sure i don't agree to anything bad...

If she locked me out I would slash her tyres but hey, thats just me.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If she locked me out I would slash her tyres but hey, thats just me.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

her tyres might not be worth as much as my stuff she locked me out of...

i'll try to sort it out and i'll go by gut feeling! mai pen rai a!

On what visa do you plan to live here for years?

Op - Relax... I've read in similar threads on this forum that many cheaper condo's don't have contracts.

One month in advance + 500 baht seems reasonable as an upfront payment.

The Landlady is probably wondering why you are being so official...

If you wish to be careful - take photos of the place before moving in.

A Thai contract is worthless .......

For 2,500 Baht you move in, live and move out when you've had enough.

If you have anything valuable I wouldn't leave it in what is obviously a "cheap" establishment; contract or not ..................

As colabamumbai suggested type out a simple rental agreement in English and have her sign it. You might need the agreement in the future for immigration purposes, proof of address, and getting a residency certificate for a driver's license. While I was teaching I rented places away from home to stay during the week and generated my own agreement. Here's what I used:

rental agreement 2.doc

Why would you want the advice of

drunken slobs... bad people... criminals, drug users, unwanted by their own countries almost all of them, i stay far away.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/735960-womens-opinion-of-western-men-in-thailand/?p=7998056

Loves temples, wais children, feels more "Thai" by using a bomb sight toilet, points at white skinned people and shrieks "Farang, Farang".

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 1

Hi,

Some advice:

I understand why you would want to have an English version of the contract, but over here in Thailand it isn't really common practice to do that. I think you should take the Thai contract to an official translator and pay to have it translated (it won't cost much, and I think there's an official translator in the same building as the UK visa office. If you pay them, then they will translate your contract and stamp it to say that is has been officially translated)

2500 isn't so cheap for 30 sqm? Holy cow, if that's not cheap, then what is? :)

To the OP: you get what you pay for, I bet the landlord must think you are crazy making an issue over such a cheap rent. Just pay it and enjoy your miserable life, any contract would be worthless anyway, welcome to Thailand :)

If you don't have money to waste, how can you afford to have the contract translated. And if you do and the landlady locks you out, do you have enough money to hire a lawyer to sue her? I can't see any reason why you need a contract. I've spent more than that for a night in a hotel, but I didn't demand a contract just in case they changed the locks or whatever. You're in Thailand now, so whatever you did back home is irrelevant here. Either forget about the contract or look for another place that gives English contracts to sign. But you might be a long time looking. Just chill and go with the flow.

This is the most important point for the OP to be aware of. Thai contracts aren't always worthless, but at 2500b, any contract effectively is. Lawyer fees make any legal action a nonstarter for this level of dispute. A contract is of no consequence in your situation. 2500b rentals are not exactly high-end commerce so enforcement is non-existent.

Your landlord is not necessarily acting suspiciously. In fact, one view of this is she is being accommodating to your concerns about a Thai lease by letting you move in with just a copy of your ID. This protects her just in case you turn out to be some sort of sh*twad and the police is her only recourse. Follow the law and you're fine.

I say you give her the ID she asks for in lieu of a lease and move in.

Keep in mind she doesn't want to be bound by an English lease. Without paying for her own independent tranlation services how can she verify it's equivalent to avoid misunderstanding?

Your concerns are, I think, not needed. I think you're fine.

A Thai contract is worthless .......

For 2,500 Baht you move in, live and move out when you've had enough.

If you have anything valuable I wouldn't leave it in what is obviously a "cheap" establishment; contract or not ..................

Edited by JepSoDii
  • Like 1

2500 isn't so cheap for 30 sqm? Holy cow, if that's not cheap, then what is? :)

To the OP: you get what you pay for, I bet the landlord must think you are crazy making an issue over such a cheap rent. Just pay it and enjoy your miserable life, any contract would be worthless anyway, welcome to Thailand :)

I once got a Thai style row room for 1,000baht per month in Nakhon Pathom. Another 400baht for electric and water. No air. Thai toilet.

Then got a job that included an apartment. That included aircon and western toilet. If I was paying it would have been 2,500 per month.

PS. Why would it be a miserable life?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is a cheap place with a nice landlady you can trust. Don't sweat it, and ignore the comments about the toilet. In Japan we have the highest value public accomodations imagineable, and you will still find squat toilets in airports and modern office buildings ( along side washlet equipped western ones). It is a matter of preference and some people say it is healthier.

Edited by arunsakda

Dear OP,

As a landlord myself, I have to say the landlord has more to worry. For example, what if:

1. You don't have a valid visa to remain in Thailand

2. You plan to use the room for some illegal purposes

3. You vandalize the room where damages are likely to exceed your security deposit

It's a give and take situation. The landlord is prepared to take the risk, and you must live with the risk that the landlord might change the lock. But I don't see how and why the landlord would want to do that if you have been paying the rent promptly.

2,500 baht is what the cleaners and babysitters pay to stay near their work place. In that sense, you're considered thrifty by any standard.

• Like 1