Thai kids with expired Thai passports, cannot leave Thailand. How to renew their Thai passports?

How can I renew my kids' expired Thai passports? My kids (age 8 and 10) are not registered in Thai housing registration or "tabien bann". They said that their names would have to be registered in tabiean bann before their passports can be renewed /issued. My children also got a non-expired US passports (but these weren't used to stamp in, when coming into Thailand).

Can I leave with my children at some land border using US passports? What to do? We really need to leave soon. We were told at the airport today that we can't leave because of the expired Thai passports (although we presented our valid US passports).

Please help. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I mean, the kids can't get/renew Thai passports inside the country because they don't have their names on Tabien Bann (the housing registration).

Any pointer or advice would really help us. My son cried at the immigration control today asking if he could never leave Thailand??

Thanks.

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It means a trip to an Amphoe with their Thai birth certificates along with the person whose house book they will be registered in. Normally that would be the same house book that their mother is registered in. This should not take more than an hour or so.

Then apply for their passports which will take up to a week to get by EMS after applying for them. Most recent reports are that they are often received after 3 or 4 days.

• Like 1

They got their original Thai passports in UK, so no need for Thai housing registration as we don't live here. How to renew passports without the housing registration? I can try to register them into the house book, but was told off earlier because the kids were born abroad and their Thai birth certificate (obtained from Royal Thai Embassy) doesn't apply. We are in a limbo here. I can try again.

Any success in renewing/getting new passports without the house book?

There is no way to get around needing them to be registered in a house book when applying for a passport.

Who told you off about them having birth certificates obtained through the embassy.

I am certain your wife is listed in a house book. They could be entered in that one if the head of household for that book agrees to it.

• Like 1

Ideally, you should have got new Thai passports for your children in the UK, applying for them in good time before your departure.

Now that you are already in Thailand, I suggest you go to the district office where your wife is listed in a house registration book and get your children put in the same book. If the district office has a problem with the Thai birth certificates issued by the Thai embassy in London, ask if they will be acceptable if the consul's signature on the certificates is authenticated by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. If this is also rejected, call the government helpline at 1111 for advice.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

They got their original Thai passports in UK, so no need for Thai housing registration as we don't live here. How to renew passports without the housing registration? I can try to register them into the house book, but was told off earlier because the kids were born abroad and their Thai birth certificate (obtained from Royal Thai Embassy) doesn't apply. We are in a limbo here. I can try again.

Who told you off? Having the overseas issued Thai birth certificates is the only way to get registered.

not sure about elsewhere but in Phuket they have a Taam bien baan that they will list people on if you don't have a house address.

My friend did it that way as she was born up north and wanted a phuket address so got on the house paper here an her id issued here than a passport.

OP here. This is the limbo we are in. Last time we were trying to register our children into the house book "tabien bann", the officer asked for our notarized marriage certificate, which can only be done at the American embassy. We got married in New York. We went to the American embassy and they didn't want anything to do with us because we aren't Americans, just a green card holders. So, back to square one, can't register our children. Then, can't renew their Thai passports and can't get out of the country. This is madness...

I Took my Son Back to UK on a UK Passport came back in on it and was told that Children under 16 can not be on over stay if they Have a Thai Birth Certificate.

All I was told to take to the Airport was his Thai Birth Certificate. I went to Airport an hour earlier than usual and no problems after showing them the Birth Certificate.

My Son is 3 year old and I travelled alone no problems.

Wish You Luck

Regards

DaveS

Edited by Dazsomer123

OP here. They looked at our children's birth certificate last night which was Thai birth certificate issued by Royal Thai Embassy abroad (they were born in the US). And they simply said that it wasn't usable, the kids had to be born in Thailand to be allowed to leave (on expired passports). I have never heard of such a thing before. Do I need a lawyer now since this is getting to the point that very little can be done?

"he officer asked for our notarized marriage certificate,"

A work-around might work. How about having your U.S. marriage certificate or marriage license translated to Thai, then having it "authenticated," I think is the term, at the Thai MFA on chang wattana. This'd at least look very official, and have been chopped off on by a Ministry.

Mac

OP here. This is the limbo we are in. Last time we were trying to register our children into the house book "tabien bann", the officer asked for our notarized marriage certificate, which can only be done at the American embassy. We got married in New York. We went to the American embassy and they didn't want anything to do with us because we aren't Americans, just a green card holders. So, back to square one, can't register our children. Then, can't renew their Thai passports and can't get out of the country. This is madness...

The US embassy would not of been able to of done anything for you anyway they cannot certify any document.

You marriage certificate should not be needed to register your children in a house book. I can assure you there are many children registered without a marriage certificate being needed.

They may of been wanting you to register your marriage. That can require a certification but they will accept a self certification by way of a statement that it is true and correct signed in front of a consular officer at your embassy. Then both the statement and marriage certificate has to translated to Thai and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

I suggest you try again to get the house registration done. Perhaps on a book that is registered at another Amphoe.

• Like 1

Green Card holders have all the rights of a American Citizen EXCEPT THE RIGHT TO VOTE as long a your GREEN CARD is CURRENT .They can be LESS than helpful if you get in trouble, its $50 for a filed out Notary docuement.

Use the "general - good-for-anything-you-want-to-write-on-it" document to be noterized stating on it that the: Marriage Certificate numbered xxxxxxx, with the names of XXXXXX XXXXXXXX and XXXXX XXXXX, issued by the county of xxxxxxxin the state of New York on xDAY/MONTH/YEAR, is a original document, certifying that you are man and wife. Put as much information as you can get on the form off the marriage certificate...PAY your $50 at the window, swear to it.............Then get the form TRANSLATED to Thai, and certified just around the corner ( forgot the cost )

The US Embassy (does not ) thank you for your $50

Edited by edwardflory

"he officer asked for our notarized marriage certificate,"

A work-around might work. How about having your U.S. marriage certificate or marriage license translated to Thai, then having it "authenticated," I think is the term, at the Thai MFA on chang wattana. This'd at least look very official, and have been chopped off on by a Ministry.

Mac

The legalisation process is a twofold process.

For documents issued outside Thailand the route for legalisation is:

1 - Local document plus the official translation is verified in the country of issue by the ministry of foreign affairs in the country of issue.

2 - The verified document is then legalised by the Thai Embassy in the US and combined to a single document.

This combined and legalised document is valid in Thailand.

For documents issued in Thailand the route is:

1 - Thai document plus translation is verified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok

2 - The verified and combined document is legalise in the US embassy.

Theis combined and legalised document is then valid in the US

This system is internationally accepted.

I seem to remember a "Laisser-Passez" from the US embassy is a valid travel document and needs no entrance stamps.

Edited by hansnl

It means a trip to an Amphoe with their Thai birth certificates along with the person whose house book they will be registered in. Normally that would be the same house book that their mother is registered in. This should not take more than an hour or so.

Then apply for their passports which will take up to a week to get by EMS after applying for them. Most recent reports are that they are often received after 3 or 4 days.

Not sure how it works in other locations. In Udorn, I took two of my grand children to get their Thai passports. Received them same day...

Re the U.S. Embassy & notarials, it's not related to Green Card status, here's what they say:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html

The American Citizen Services Unit provides notarial services during normal working hours by appointment only. Appointments must be made online at the ACS Appointment System Website. Please click here to make an appointment.
Notarial services provided by the Embassy are primarily for the benefit of American citizens and legal permanent residents. Foreign nationals may also have documents notarized, but only if the documents will be used in the United States.
Notarial services we cannot provide include;
Authentication of Vital Records, Academic, Commercial or Other Credentials Issued in the U.S.
Certification of True Copies of Documents
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
So, Green Card holders are fine for getting notarial services. But, having a NY wedding papers notarized, nope.
Mac

Not sure how it works in other locations. In Udorn, I took two of my grand children to get their Thai passports. Received them same day...

That is not the way it is now. You cannot get a passport the same day.

OP here. They looked at our children's birth certificate last night which was Thai birth certificate issued by Royal Thai Embassy abroad (they were born in the US). And they simply said that it wasn't usable, the kids had to be born in Thailand to be allowed to leave (on expired passports). I have never heard of such a thing before. Do I need a lawyer now since this is getting to the point that very little can be done?

Who are 'they' who are telling you this?

I'm an Australian Thai dual national born in Australia with a Thai birth cerfificate issued in Australia by the Thai embassy there. I can tell you for a fact to get registered here on the tabieen baan the birth certificate from the embassy is the critical document as it outlines the children's names and most importantly their Thai nationality.

Once I was registered on the tabieen baan people at the ampur office made a notation on the actual birth certificate saying I had been registered.

Seems like all the wrong people are giving you the run around.

Thai officials generally don't know what they're talking about...about a 50/50 chance they're making it up. I don't have much useful information to add, but wanted to point out one thing: Once you get your kids registered on the Tabian Bahn, they're potentially subject to the military service lottery. The house book is how people are chosen. If you are not listed in the book because you are out of country, you are not subject to the lottery. If they're name is still on the books when they get of age, they may be subject to the lottery.

Who are 'they' who are telling you this?

I'm an Australian Thai dual national born in Australia with a Thai birth cerfificate issued in Australia by the Thai embassy there. I can tell you for a fact to get registered here on the tabieen baan the birth certificate from the embassy is the critical document as it outlines the children's names and most importantly their Thai nationality.

Once I was registered on the tabieen baan people at the ampur office made a notation on the actual birth certificate saying I had been registered.

Seems like all the wrong people are giving you the run around.

what you say is correct. my son was born in the Uk and was issued thai birth cert through the thai embassy in london and he is on our house book and has renewed his thai passport here in thailand. but the OP also has a problem with his marraige cert.

so basically it is the marraige cert thing he needs to sort out

The US embassy would not of been able to of done anything for you anyway they cannot certify any document.

For sure. People starting with Thai bureaucrats have a truly difficult time grasping federal governments. So don't explain it to them or try.

You can be tricky, however, and I've seen this done more than once. Take the document (marriage certificate in this case) to the embassy and get a notary form. Write on the notary form simply something like "I attest the marriage certificate here is a real marriage certificate" and get the consulate to notarise that statement. USUALLY (100% in my experience) when Thai bureaucrats see that official US stamp referring the marriage paper (or any similar document) their eyes light up at the "correct" paperwork, and Robert is your father's brother.

No, not in Thailand. However, I don't understand your reference to their birth certificates, issued by the Royal Thai Embassy, not being recognised (applied??) here. Our daughter was born in Germany, was issued a Thai birth Certificate (her mother is Thai) and passport by the Embassy in Berlin and when we got to Thailand her birth certificate was reregistered by an Amphora here and it was stamped with a personal ID. The whole procedure lasted about 2 hours. Once this is done your children can be registered in the house book ( I assume your wife's) and then apply for new Thai passports, which does not take longer than few days, depending where you reside in Thailand

So, Green Card holders are fine for getting notarial services. But, having a NY wedding papers notarized, nope.

Well you can't notarise US wedding papers anywhere.

What I'm suggesting is to make a statement and have the statement notarised. This is what hundreds or thousands of Americans do every year for their retirement visa, for example. Only instead of saying "I declare I make 2 jillion baht a month" the statement says "I declare the marriage papers referred to herein are authentic." The consulate most certainly will notarise that statement for any American citizen or green card holder.

The point is not the marriage papers, which the US Embassy is (quite correctly) totally clueless about. The point is the US consul's stamp on a piece of paper, in this case the declaration, which will delight a Thai government paper-pusher.

None of the above is a theory or conjecture.

Didn't your wife register your marriage in Thailand? What i meant is, like in Indonesia we have to register out marriage at MHA. We got married in S'pore then reported our marriage at Indonesian Embassy in S'pore and then registered our marriage at MHA in Indonesia, MHA gave us marriage cert ( Indonesian's version). Only with that we can put our child name in my family booklet ( house book) and with her name in family booklet she can apply or renew her Indonesian PP in Indonesia. I think u guys might need to register ur marriage in Thai MHA first to get Thai Version of Marriage cert.