Facebook goes down for half an hour and we go mental

Lite Beer

I have an idea on how to stop this madness: 10 Baht tax on every message sent through "social" media, 50 Baht tax on each food photo sent and 100 Baht for the first selfie of the day, 150 for the second and 500 for each subsequent one, combined with tough crackdowns on social media tax dodgers - problem solved smile.png

Edited by catweazle

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the old Thaksin fan boys ( and girls ShannonT ) will of course blame the military for the outage, of course the other 10 countries it happened in must be all their faults too ( sarcasm here of course )...

Now, now, don't be hasty, young master 3TS. You may be onto something there, what with Thailand being the hub of many things rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Hahahaha as opposed to blaming Thaksin for all of the worlds problems?

The outgage a couple of weeks ago was already cleared up the Norwegian ownersof DTAC came clean and said they Junta ordered they block facebook, but they were the ones who had to apologise for telling the truth, which I found a bit bizarre.

I don't get the point of people bashing facebook especially if they're not users, it's like saying Mercedes Benz is shit when all you've ever driven is a BMW ;)

Don't like it, don't use it, nobody has been holding a gun to your heads simples.

wouldnt miss it at all, dont see all the fuss about it and certainly dont see the point of having thousands of strangers looking at what i had for the last meal.... shallow thing that it is.

Why would a stranger be reading your facebook? I suspect that you are commenting on something you know nothing about. Unlike here, the people I interact with when I use Facebook are friends and acquaintances with whom I share a common interest. If I don't, they are removed.

Edited by HooHaa

wouldnt miss it at all, dont see all the fuss about it and certainly dont see the point of having thousands of strangers looking at what i had for the last meal.... shallow thing that it is.

Why would a stranger be reading your facebook? I suspect that you are commenting on something you know nothing about. Unlike here, the people I interact with when I use Facebook are friends and acquaintances with whom I share a common interest. If I don't, they are removed.

You suspect wrong just because i dont have a facebook acc dosnt mean I have no idea what its all about my choice not to have one simple as that... the strangers thing was a quip more about people who dont lock it down properly... and I reckon theres about 70% that dont. It is amazing how much personal info people thoughtlessly put up. Sure I would lock mine down but I keep in touch via phone and skype and visiting/visitors. I have never had the need for a facebook page or wish for one.

Im happy you love your facebook and your in the minority who operates one sensibly so nice one. I 100% understand its suppsed merits but holds no interest for me at all thanks, each to their own

• Like 1

And they conspiracy theories deepen:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/21/heres-video-of-the-cyber-attack-that-may-have-spurred-this-weeks-facebook-outage/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000591

screen-shot-2014-06-21-at-7-47-10-pm.png

Update: This is a video that’s been shared throughout the Internet purporting to show a concerted DDOS attack coming mainly from China and concentrated on United States internet servers on the day that Facebook’s service was down for many users worldwide.

We’ve looked into this further, however, and it turns out this attack bore no relation to Facebook’s outage on Thursday. For one thing, we’re told the time stamps don’t square up quite correctly. We’ve updated this post’s headline to make that completely clear. Meanwhile, Facebook says its initial statement that the outage was due to an internal software configuration error still stands.

So, as action-packed as it is, the video above was just another of the many global DDOS attacks that regularly occur in cyberland (showing why companies like Facebook have had to erect top-notch security teams for constant protection.) Technology companies large and small are increasingly targets for such attacks — as more people come online, the potential for havoc gets larger.

Update 2: And now, the video has been pulled from YouTube for violating the site’s policy against “spam, scams, and commercially deceptive content” (the title of the video said the attack caused the Facebook outage.) You can still see a blip of the video in the screenshot embedded in this post.

Original post: This past Thursday, a number of Facebook users worldwide were unable to access the social networking site worldwide for about a half an hour. Such an outage is big news for as large a site as Facebook, and at the time, the company acknowledged the event with a short statement that attributed it to a software configuration that had been enacted before the outage.

According to footage posted by a YouTube user called Tournaments Replays that was allegedly pulled from Norse, a security intelligence company that monitors cyber attacks in real time, there appears to have been a large distributed denial-of-service (DDOS) attack coming mainly from China and concentrated on United States internet servers on the day that Facebook’s service was down for many users worldwide. Video of the alleged attack is embedded above.